Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it mad in london?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2012, 7:51 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by Littlegirl
He was talking about tickets not Tics surely!
Yes. Only Jenbel fell for it though. Or maybe she didn't, my sarcasm detector's on the blink today.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Here's the odd thing about London at the moment. Because of the very strict rules on Olympic branding, using the rings or even the world Olympic, you can walk down most streets - even Kings Road where we are - and you wouldn't know the Games were on! No posters in the shops allowed (except at Lloyds and McDonald's) etc.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 6:34 pm

Programs: BAEC, SAS EBS, Miles&More
After the peace and quiet of Central London yesterday the Westfield shopping centre next to the Olympic Park was a bit of a nightmare. The rain drove everybody inside and there was even a queue to get into the Olympic store in John Lewis. Pretty relaxed in the park itself although there weren't loads of places to hide from the rain.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 1:26 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Is it mad in london?

Well, I was dreading the commute this morning (it was one of the "warning" days for Kings X) but it was an absolute breeze. Plenty seats on the train, and, although I tend to cycle on back roads anyway, I set a new personal record of train-to-desk (Aldgate way) in 19 minutes. Bradley Wiggins, eat your heart out.

Wouldn't like to have been on 4 wheels around Aldgate, though... And fingers crossed for the return home!
Old Jul 30, 2012, 2:11 am

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
So far so good. Journey to Green Park this morning was painless. But we'll see how things go in the evening peak.

Also, the athletic events in the Olympic Stadium don't start until Friday so the Olympic Park will be considerably busier from then.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 2:21 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by rwoman
The issue, I think, is the billing credit card. I could not use a US card, I had to use my UK Visa since it is what matched my UK address.
What happens when you show up to get the tickets? Do they leave them at will call somewhere? Ask for a resident ID or can I use my US drivers license?
Old Jul 30, 2012, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Currently in Mayfair, having exited Green Park which was meant to be hell on earth. Dead. Deserted. I am looking down Dover Street now and there is no one there.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 3:56 am

For anyone who is out and about in Central London it is definitely worth checking out all the various countries "Olympic Houses". Clearly these are largely promotional in nature; but having visited a couple yesterday, I can vouch that there can be lots of interesting stuff going on and the occasional freebie.

Here's a map that shows most of the locations (red pins):
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msi...42946,0.114155
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:58 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I was a Tate Modern, and near London Bridge yesterday and the tube/streets were fine - more tourists and people with Olympic passes - but perfectly acceptable.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 2:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond + Ambassador, Accor Gold, Avis President's Club, Heathrow Rewards
Tube from Central London to LHR was pretty quiet this morning and the airport is less busy than normal too by the looks of it.

Sitting in GC in T3 and it's pretty quiet in here, apart from the discrete Olympic coverage with the ever dishy Ian Thorpe commenting on events
Old Jul 31, 2012, 2:22 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Is it mad in london?

Quiet again today, but be aware that a fire at Leyton has been severely disrupting Central Line services to/from St Ratford.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 3:56 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by MNManInKen
Tube from Central London to LHR was pretty quiet this morning and the airport is less busy than normal too by the looks of it.

Sitting in GC in T3 and it's pretty quiet in here, apart from the discrete Olympic coverage with the ever dishy Ian Thorpe commenting on events
Eerily quiet in the AA Arrivals Lounge too - where we too are enjoying the Thorpedo.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Hello from BT Live in Hyde Park!

It is busy but not completely insane.

We used the Javelin train from St Pancras to Stratford ... very painless and took 6 minutes!

We will see how Wembley is tonight!

Old Jul 31, 2012, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
It seems that many many people have got out of London for the duration of the Games so it's surprisingly quiet in central London, outside the tourist areas.

Travel on the roads seems to be more variable than usual. Generally the traffic is fairly light and often the Olympic Lanes are off - the traffic is then far faster than normal. However, where they've blocked roads to accommodate Olympic Lanes, or where they are switched on, then traffic is hell. So it's doubly difficult to guess journey times.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Bakerloo Line and the train to Wembley from Marylebone are packed tonight!!!

On the train now!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.