Heathrow-bound planes in mid-air 'near miss'

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2012, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Wink Heathrow-bound planes in mid-air 'near miss'

aol.co.uk: Heathrow-bound planes in mid-air 'near miss'

I do not think they were THAT close either...I know I've seen other planes at a distance with coming in/out of LHR.

Spectators at Wentworth golf course were yesterday left "gasping" as two Heathrow-bound passenger planes looked to be heading for a mid-air collision above their heads.

But, in reality, the distance between the planes was not uncommon.

According to the Daily Mail, the plane on the left is a mile or two lower than the plane on the right, and both are taking part in a process called 'stacking', where pilots wait their turn to land.

So crowds at the BMW PGA Championship in Surrey actually witnessed an optical illusion.
Old May 30, 2012, 6:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
The Daily Mail (shockingly) has their facts wrong - they were likely as close as 1,000ft apart vertically, or about 0.2 miles.
Old May 30, 2012, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by star_world
The Daily Mail (shockingly) has their facts wrong - they were likely as close as 1,000ft apart vertically, or about 0.2 miles.
I'm stunned, the DM got the facts wrong
Old May 30, 2012, 5:02 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Note to sub-editors:

Using 'quote marks' around a headline which you know to be false does not make it OK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.