Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Will this itinerary work?(connecting LHR)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2012, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Platinum

Hello, I am not sure if this is correct forum for this, so feel free to re-locate.

I am looking at flying from TLS (Toulouse) to LHR on BA. Flight arrives at LHR at 925 am. I have an Air Canada flight at 12:05 pm from LHR to YYZ. I have to check my bag because it is too big to carry-on.

Will I have time to get to LHR, retrieve my bag, check in to the AC flight and re-check my bag? Is 2.5 hours enough time to do this? Or should I try to fly to LHR the night before?

Thanks!
Old May 28, 2012, 3:57 pm

When I had my connecting flights in London, it wasn't a problem at all. If you have to change terminals, walk fast in the airport and get the bus.

If you don't, you'll be fine.

We went from Terminal 3 to 4 and 4 to 3 (on the way back) and did that in an hour or so. All you have to do is walk fast, get to the bus (takes ~5-7 mins), clear security and you're good to go.
Old May 28, 2012, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

I think I will have to go from terminal 5 to terminal 3. Does that make it more complicated?
Old May 28, 2012, 4:24 pm

BA and AC likely have an interline agreement, whereby they can check your bags straight through from TLS. A 2.5 hour connection in LHR should be more than sufficient.
Old May 28, 2012, 4:35 pm

I disagree with the advice given to you by the previous poster. On separate tickets, and with checked baggage, and with having to change terminals, you want to allow much more than 2.5 hours. I normally work on a minimum of four hours, but at the moment even that may be insufficient. The British press has been full of stories about long delays at Immigration recently, with some non-EU passport holders having to wait up to three hours just to have their passports checked.

Even if things return to normal by the time you travel you need to allow a minimum of an hour to get through Immigration and collect your baggage, and about half an hour to change terminals... which means that even if everything goes 100% according to plan you'll be struggling to reach the AC check-in desk before the cut-off point.

I wouldn't risk it.

PS Have just read post #4 which wasn't there before. While it's worth asking about an interlining agreement I think the answer is likely to be "no" since you are on separate tickets and BA and AC are in different alliances.
Old May 28, 2012, 4:46 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by wxalex
I think I will have to go from terminal 5 to terminal 3. Does that make it more complicated?
Not if you have a single ticket (IET):
http://www.heathrowairport.com/heath...-international

If separate tickets you'll have to clear immigration, get your bag, take the (free) train and then check in again. 2.5 hours is cutting it close.
Old May 28, 2012, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Yikes! It will be separate tickets. So perhaps I should just try to fly in the night before.
Old May 28, 2012, 5:35 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue this discussion in the UK Forum (lots of LHR info there).
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old May 28, 2012, 6:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by wxalex
Yikes! It will be separate tickets. So perhaps I should just try to fly in the night before.
I would.
Old May 28, 2012, 8:45 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
I disagree with the advice given to you by the previous poster. On separate tickets, and with checked baggage, and with having to change terminals, you want to allow much more than 2.5 hours. I normally work on a minimum of four hours, but at the moment even that may be insufficient. The British press has been full of stories about long delays at Immigration recently, with some non-EU passport holders having to wait up to three hours just to have their passports checked.

Even if things return to normal by the time you travel you need to allow a minimum of an hour to get through Immigration and collect your baggage, and about half an hour to change terminals... which means that even if everything goes 100% according to plan you'll be struggling to reach the AC check-in desk before the cut-off point.

I wouldn't risk it.

PS Have just read post #4 which wasn't there before. While it's worth asking about an interlining agreement I think the answer is likely to be "no" since you are on separate tickets and BA and AC are in different alliances.
I respect Aviatrix's advice and maybe the lines will be bad.

But I will say that I just did an AF-BA interchange at LHR (T4 to T5) on separate tickets, with a 2.5 hour layover, and it went smoothly. I had almost an hour in hand over BA's check-in cutoff when I checked in at T5 (domestic UK sector).

I did not encounter a long line at T4 immigration and I never enter the UK on my UK passport (in the hope that the idiot Nigels and BA apologists will say ignorant things to me - not a forlorn hope as you all know).

Make sure you are checked in on AC first, because AC will rigorously enforce the cutoff and needing a BP reprint when you are already checked in but have no boarding cards gives you an extra slice of time that comes in handy. It did at YYZ recently, when the agent tried to deny me until she realized I wasn't asking to be checked in, but for a BP reprint. And the two hour delay there was due to the notorious Immigration Canada who are much worse than UK BP in my experience.....

I bet you can make it unless you encounter the horrendous border lines described in the Daily Explode.
Old May 29, 2012, 2:13 am

A couple of questions for you to ponder.
(1) What's your attitute to risk?
(2) How comfortable are you with the extra costs that may arise if the first part of your journey is delayed?

Risk. Heathrow is one of the most congested airports in the world. It operates close to breaking point every hour of the day, all year round. Given the amount of flights / passengers that are handled every day in what is (by world standards) a very small area, it's a minor miracle. But - if there is fog the flow rate goes down and delays are inevitable. And this year, the UK immigration process is in meltdown and there are occasional incidents of horrendouse queues.

If you are on separate tickets, and you arrive late for your AC flight, it seems entirely possible to me that AC will refuse to carry you. What's that going to cost you?

The odds are that your plan will work OK - but it's not guaranteed - and the cost of things going wrong appears painfully high. Not a risk I'd choose to take.
Old May 29, 2012, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by redtailshark

But I will say that I just did an AF-BA interchange at LHR (T4 to T5) on separate tickets, with a 2.5 hour layover, and it went smoothly. I had almost an hour in hand over BA's check-in cutoff when I checked in at T5 (domestic UK sector).
You were lucky. Your flight arrived on time, and the queues must have been relatively short (may I ask what time of day this was?)

Also, when it comes to tight connections I would argue that there is a difference between a UK domestic flight, and a long-haul flight (as in the OP's case). If you miss a domestic connection the worst that can happen is that you have to fork out £100 or so to get to your destination in some other way. If you miss a long-haul flight, on a non-changeable ticket, you're probably looking at a four-figure sum for a new ticket.

I bet you can make it unless you encounter the horrendous border lines described in the Daily Explode.
I just wouldn't risk it. It's do-able if absolutely everything goes to plan, but even a modest delay would cause the OP to miss their onward flight.
Old May 29, 2012, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by rcspeirs
A couple of questions for you to ponder.
(1) What's your attitute to risk?
(2) How comfortable are you with the extra costs that may arise if the first part of your journey is delayed?

Risk. Heathrow is one of the most congested airports in the world. It operates close to breaking point every hour of the day, all year round. Given the amount of flights / passengers that are handled every day in what is (by world standards) a very small area, it's a minor miracle. But - if there is fog the flow rate goes down and delays are inevitable. And this year, the UK immigration process is in meltdown and there are occasional incidents of horrendouse queues.

If you are on separate tickets, and you arrive late for your AC flight, it seems entirely possible to me that AC will refuse to carry you. What's that going to cost you?

The odds are that your plan will work OK - but it's not guaranteed - and the cost of things going wrong appears painfully high. Not a risk I'd choose to take.
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
You were lucky. Your flight arrived on time, and the queues must have been relatively short (may I ask what time of day this was?)

Also, when it comes to tight connections I would argue that there is a difference between a UK domestic flight, and a long-haul flight (as in the OP's case). If you miss a domestic connection the worst that can happen is that you have to fork out £100 or so to get to your destination in some other way. If you miss a long-haul flight, on a non-changeable ticket, you're probably looking at a four-figure sum for a new ticket.

I just wouldn't risk it. It's do-able if absolutely everything goes to plan, but even a modest delay would cause the OP to miss their onward flight.
Good advice from people who know what they are talking about ^

Originally Posted by redtailshark

I did not encounter a long line at T4 immigration and I never enter the UK on my UK passport (in the hope that the idiot Nigels and BA apologists will say ignorant things to me - not a forlorn hope as you all know).

Make sure you are checked in on AC first, because AC will rigorously enforce the cutoff and needing a BP reprint when you are already checked in but have no boarding cards gives you an extra slice of time that comes in handy. It did at YYZ recently, when the agent tried to deny me until she realized I wasn't asking to be checked in, but for a BP reprint. And the two hour delay there was due to the notorious Immigration Canada who are much worse than UK BP in my experience.....

Err...
Old May 29, 2012, 3:05 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Can't really add anything except to agree that it's a question of risk. Flights get delayed as does airport processing, and this is largely unpredictable. If you're not on one ticket, then you're relying on goodwill to get you reaccommodated, and that decreases from same airline to alliance partner to unrelated.

Personally, I'd figure out what would happen if you failed to make the connection, and work backwards from there.
Old May 29, 2012, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It might be worth adding that there have been issues with longer than usual delays at immigration at LHR recently, as discussed elsewhere on this board. An additional reason to err on the side of caution, imo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.