Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Which part of Ireland: Killarney vs Western Ireland?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2012, 8:33 am
Original Poster

I'm trying to decide where to go in Ireland. I have a few couple in Dublin and then I want to spend a few days somewhere else. I've narrowed it down to the Killarney area and Western Ireland (basing out of County Clare in Newmarket-on-Fergus).

Both seem to offer a lot of tourist attractions and as well as natural beauty. So far it seems like Killarney is a very popular commercialized tourist area. Western Ireland certainly is no stranger to tourism but might be a bit more off-beat?

Travel will be in May, and I would preface this by saying I'll be starting off from Dublin, and will be spending a few days there to begin with.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I'd suggest Cork instead. The city is very friendly and interesting, and going out west leads to tremendous countryside and beaches.

Killarney is certainly overtouristed. Clare would be an interesting choice too, but most Irish people would not consider Clare part of the "west"; the "west" would be Galway and Mayo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.