Wiki Posts
Search

London Christmas Day Question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2011, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum-2 MM Starwood Plat,Delta DM
London Christmas Day Question

I will be spending the holidays in the London. On Christmas day I wanted to walk around and take pictures int he deserted city, the only problem is I dont know how I will get into Central London. I will be staying in West Brompton area and I know the tube and busses are not running. Appreciate any info from Londoners who might have any ideas for me. Otherwise I will have to stay put. Also is there any latest news on the tube strike on Boxing day?

Rob
Old Dec 17, 2011, 10:26 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
If you wrap up warm, there's a number of Cycle Hire docking stations within walking distance...
Old Dec 17, 2011, 11:11 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Does the Heathrow bus from Trafalgar Square not go either through or very close to West Brompton? Surely that will be running and you can get into Central London

Check out TFL's journey planner http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/use...T2?language=en

Does the tube not run on Christmas day? I spent half my life in London and never knew that
Old Dec 17, 2011, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Walk or cycle are the most logical options. Too late to hire a car now.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
The Dickens Museum is open on Christmas Day FYI.

99.9% of other places will be shut.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum-2 MM Starwood Plat,Delta DM
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Does the Heathrow bus from Trafalgar Square not go either through or very close to West Brompton? Surely that will be running and you can get into Central London

Check out TFL's journey planner http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/use...T2?language=en

Does the tube not run on Christmas day? I spent half my life in London and never knew that
No Tube on Christmas day and the regular buses are also not running. No public transport whatsoever according to trip planner.

Rob

Last edited by robertw477; Dec 17, 2011 at 2:58 pm
Old Dec 17, 2011, 3:12 pm

With the exception of the Heathrow Express the UK has no public transport on Christmas Day AT ALL.

I remember the days (probably less than 20 years ago) when there weren't even any flights to or from the UK on Christmas Day.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 3:20 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
I am stunned, I never noticed that there is no public transport in the UK on Christmas day
Old Dec 17, 2011, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Aviatrix
With the exception of the Heathrow Express the UK has no public transport on Christmas Day AT ALL.

I remember the days (probably less than 20 years ago) when there weren't even any flights to or from the UK on Christmas Day.
If I'm being picky (and I often am ), a good number of buses do run in Scotland on Christmas Day. But then I can also remember when Christmas in Scotland was celebrated a lot less than it is now (although not old enough - like my grandparents - to remember when it wasn't even a public holiday...)

Traditionally, a lot of towns run buses to/from the hospitals on Christmas Day, to allow you to visit people who have the misfortune of being in there at that time (and to discourage you from driving there after a couple of drinks!) This seems to be on the wane, too.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 4:17 pm

Apart from the Gatwick Express - and Lothian Buses in Edinburgh - and a volunteer service in West Yorkshire - and the OxfordTube to London ...

http://www.gatwickexpress.com/en/you...tmas-services/
http://www.wymetro.com/travelnews/christmas01.htm
http://lothianbuses.com/news/2-gener...-services.html
http://www.oxfordtube.com/serviceinfo_7973.php
Old Dec 18, 2011, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I am stunned, I never noticed that there is no public transport in the UK on Christmas day
As 99.9% of shops and restaurants are closed anyway, there isn't much point!

What IS shocking is that there are still no National Rail trains on Boxing Day, even though the country is pretty much running as usual, at least as far as shopping and eating goes. Unless you get a year when Christmas Day is a weekend (thus making Dec 27th a holiday), it is therefore very difficult - if visiting family over Christmas - to travel back to your home on Boxing Day in time for work on December 27th. Truly shocking in 2011.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 3:08 am

There are plenty Boxing Day trains in NE England and Scotland, though!
Old Dec 18, 2011, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
As 99.9% of shops and restaurants are closed anyway, there isn't much point!
I actually think there is a LOT of point in having public transport on Christmas Day, like the rest of the world.

People would be able to visit family and enjoy Christmas Dinner, with a few glasses of wine, and then go home afterwards - rather than being forced to all be cooped up together for a couple of days (which so often leads to friction and arguments)

I'm sure that in our multi-cultural society there would be no shortage of volunteers for Christmas Day shifts.

And, BTW, I'm not sure about "99.9% of restaurants" being shut on Christmas Day. We are going out for lunch this Christmas Day, and when I was looking for a venue I found that quite a few places were open - certainly a lot more than 0.1%!
Old Dec 18, 2011, 5:38 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
And, BTW, I'm not sure about "99.9% of restaurants" being shut on Christmas Day. We are going out for lunch this Christmas Day, and when I was looking for a venue I found that quite a few places were open - certainly a lot more than 0.1%!
You are actually correct. Quite a few pubs and restaurants - at least in the large cities, and certainly more than 0.1% - are advertising Christmas dinner. Several posh hotels in central London are, as well.

It is not uncommon at all for corner shops and newsagents (many of which are run by non-Christians) to be open.

As regards the OP, there is always the humble minicab.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The restaurants point is an interesting one. Plenty of places are open for Christmas lunch/dinner but they are generally the big, set piece set menu affairs. Normal restuarants serving normal food are pretty much shut save a few places on the Edgware Road.

Loads of pubs open but typically only in residental areas. The pre-lunch pint or two is a Swanhunter household tradition.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.