Wiki Posts
Search

1 Day layover in Dublin

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2011, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Flying Blue
1 Day layover in Dublin

We are considering flying through Dublin because the EI fares are almost HALF of the other carriers to France!

What can one do in Dublin from 5Pm arrival to 5PM departure the following day? Any hotel or restaurant recs?
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let me suggest the Temple Bar.

Especially if you like oysters ... I don't, but my kids tell me they were the best they've ever had.

Oh yeah - they have Guinness on tap, too, I'm told.

The Shelboune is great but pricey. There are a couple of Clarions around that aren't bad at all - we stayed at the one at the IFS (near the O2) and had a great time. Rooms were huge and each of the corner suites had party decks. If I'm not mistaken, there's a free shuttle bus from the airport to the hotel.

Enjoy - it's a very lively city. We loved it.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Forgot to add, my friend ... a week from now we'll be in Menton (your home town?) Love that little corner of France!
Old Sep 29, 2011, 11:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by menton1
We are considering flying through Dublin because the EI fares are almost HALF of the other carriers to France!

What can one do in Dublin from 5Pm arrival to 5PM departure the following day? Any hotel or restaurant recs?

Temple Bar is an over-priced tourist trap and Guinness is just an international brand owned by a Brtish company ( ah, the irony )
However, I would suggest this place on the edge of Temple Bar for an authentic Irish-brewed stout as well as a myriad of other drinks.

( They don't sell Guinness - when asked they always say " They don't sell our beer so why should we sell theirs. " )

www.porterhousebrewco.com

I particularly like the Oyster Stout which, as the name suggests, is brewed using oysters.

Food-wise if you wish to continue in the pub tradition

www.lmulligangrocer.com

or bistro,

www.lamaisonrestaurant.ie

or restaurant

www.residence.ie/restaurant-fortyone

Enjoy.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 2:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold

Search is always your friend for getting started http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...ht-dublin.html
Old Sep 30, 2011, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
Search is always your friend for getting started http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...ht-dublin.html
... which is a thread I started.

Frankly, Dublin is a dump. No decent shopping (compared to a 'proper' capital city), very high prices because of the Euro (at least versus the £), terrible weather, no cultural sights of significance worth seeing, and the joy of having to get a bus from the airport as the trams and trains avoid it.

If you have SPG points, the Westin is a good value redemption for 10,000 points compared to the cash prices. Very convenient location as well.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 6:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Raffles

Frankly, Dublin is a dump. No decent shopping (compared to a 'proper' capital city), very high prices because of the Euro (at least versus the £), terrible weather, no cultural sights of significance worth seeing, and the joy of having to get a bus from the airport as the trams and trains avoid it.

If you have SPG points, the Westin is a good value redemption for 10,000 points compared to the cash prices. Very convenient location as well.
I tend to agree but fortunately the OP is arriving in the evening when a few scoops in the pub and some dinner will soften the impact.

A tourist-must visit to the Guinness storehouse the following morning or maybe a tour round the Dublin prison where we Brits were uncommonly beastly to the leaders of the 1916 Rebellion ( okay, so we executed them ) followed by a nice lunch then back to the airport will spare them from seeing how sh!tty Dublin really is.

Night-time is definitely the best time to see this city.

www.guinness-storehouse.com

http://www.tourist-information-dubli...inham-jail.htm
Old Sep 30, 2011, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
OP should also note that Air France (to CDG) and Ryanair (to Beauvais) also from to Paris from Dublin, so you could save yourself the cost of the stopover if you wanted - albeit you will have misconnect risks.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Flying Blue

Interesting. We were getting the feeling of very little to see in Dublin just reading some of the tourist books and websites... And we don't drink beer!

I mean, it's a new place, only 24 hours there, minus sleeping and transporting to and from the airport so we thought it might be doable. The savings are mitigated by the hotel and food costs too, but it's a $1300 savings for 2 people vs. non-stop! Perhaps we'll just wait and see if the nonstop prices to France from NY will drop at all in the next 60 days...

OP should also note that Air France (to CDG) and Ryanair (to Beauvais) also from to Paris from Dublin, so you could save yourself the cost of the stopover if you wanted - albeit you will have misconnect risks.
This is not feasible because we will have luggage, and Ryanair is not a good savings nor a good experience with checked luggage. AF is quite pricey, same price as a nonstop to CDG.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Interesting. We were getting the feeling of very little to see in Dublin just reading some of the tourist books and websites... And we don't drink beer!

I mean, it's a new place, only 24 hours there, minus sleeping and transporting to and from the airport so we thought it might be doable. The savings are mitigated by the hotel and food costs too, but it's a $1300 savings for 2 people vs. non-stop! Perhaps we'll just wait and see if the nonstop prices to France from NY will drop at all in the next 60 days...

This is not feasible because we will have luggage, and Ryanair is not a good savings nor a good experience with checked luggage. AF is quite pricey, same price as a nonstop to CDG.

Mmm, difficult choice.
I mean,1300 bucks is some saving by just having to spend a few hours in Dublin.
But if you don't drink then it's not as easy as it sounds.
You've got to remember that Dublin is the capital city of a country that treats drinking like a competitive sport.
Factor in the increasing crime and whingeing self-pity that comes with a self-inflicted economic crash and it's a tough one.
Even at the best of times Dublin is drab and expensive.
But if it means saving $1300 you could spend on something really nice and interesting I'd put up with it.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Showbizguru
Temple Bar is an over-priced tourist trap
Well, yeah. So is the Eiffel Tower, the Statue of Liberty, Stonehenge ...

Frankly, Dublin is a dump.
Originally Posted by Showbizguru
Even at the best of times Dublin is drab and expensive.
Did I visit the same city as you guys?

I don't spend most of my life in the salons of Paris or Michelin-starred restaurants, so perhaps my standards are a bit lower than yours. Being of Irish ancestry helped, I suppose.

Anyhow, we (my entire extended family - gotta love them miles and points deals) spent a few days there a year or so ago, and we all thought it was the best vacation we've ever taken.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 2:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BigLar
Well, yeah. So is the Eiffel Tower, the Statue of Liberty, Stonehenge ...

The difference being these are recognised tourist attractions whereas Temple Bar is jut a collection of bars designed to rip-off visitors.

Dublin really is a poor capital city of a really interesting country to visit.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 5:30 pm

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Dublin is an interesting, cultured gem of a city - once you scratch the surface there is a lot to be appreciated. It has a vibrant pub and music scene that can be enjoyed perfectly well without a few drinks. Food offerings rival other cities, if you chose well - and it does NOT have to cost the earth; a fool and his money... It has a long history from it's medieval viking roots though to the modern age with evidence littered around the city and many places to visit.

I know far more about Dublin that anyone else who has posted above. Trust me - get a second opinion.

Pick a nice hotel (Raffles suggestion of the Westin on points is good - but there are many options); go for a nice seafood meal and then take the Dublin Literary Pubcrawl (you definitely don't need to drink) - it's an interesting and amusing, informative introduction to one aspect of Ireland's culture - its literary heritage and the culture it was based in. Next day visit one of the many interesting things in Dublin - Guinness brewery, Trinity College, Dublinia, Dublin Castle, Christchurch, the national museums, galleries, take a walk over Howth head, or take a hop-on, hop-off bus tour.

If you want Dublin in a box, forget it. Dublin is about the experience - it's a journey, a state of mind, not a destination. Use google for any number of suggestions. This one was not bad. This was a bit more predictable. And finally, do Temple Bar in the morning - you'll be surprised just how much is hidden way down there - if you go int he evening, you'll miss the gems in the hurley-burly of visiting drunken Yahoos from neighbouring isles.

As to increasing crime - that one has passed me by - but what do I know? I only live here.

I'm not campaigning for Dublin, you need to decide if it is for you - but the fare you've found sounds great - so, don't be dissuaded by a few impoverish opinions.

Last edited by GoldCircle; Oct 1, 2011 at 5:39 pm
Old Oct 1, 2011, 8:23 pm

Wow, just got back from my fourth visit to Dublin and still have not seen everything I have wanted to see there. I spent two hours just exploring Glasnevin cemetery. I love history and Dublin is a wealth of history. St Michans and Christ Church are my favorite churches. The national museums are wonderful. Croke Park, Trinity college library and the parks. I love The Duke Pub on Duke St. Great food can be found all over the city and I have always felt very safe in Dublin. There are some of the finest hotels in Dublin. Just take the 747 bus from the airport to town, easy and quick, buy the day tripper.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 7:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GoldCircle
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Dublin is an interesting, cultured gem of a city - once you scratch the surface there is a lot to be appreciated. It has a vibrant pub and music scene that can be enjoyed perfectly well without a few drinks. Food offerings rival other cities, if you chose well - and it does NOT have to cost the earth; a fool and his money... It has a long history from it's medieval viking roots though to the modern age with evidence littered around the city and many places to visit.

I know far more about Dublin that anyone else who has posted above. Trust me - get a second opinion.

Pick a nice hotel (Raffles suggestion of the Westin on points is good - but there are many options); go for a nice seafood meal and then take the Dublin Literary Pubcrawl (you definitely don't need to drink) - it's an interesting and amusing, informative introduction to one aspect of Ireland's culture - its literary heritage and the culture it was based in. Next day visit one of the many interesting things in Dublin - Guinness brewery, Trinity College, Dublinia, Dublin Castle, Christchurch, the national museums, galleries, take a walk over Howth head, or take a hop-on, hop-off bus tour.

If you want Dublin in a box, forget it. Dublin is about the experience - it's a journey, a state of mind, not a destination. Use google for any number of suggestions. This one was not bad. This was a bit more predictable. And finally, do Temple Bar in the morning - you'll be surprised just how much is hidden way down there - if you go int he evening, you'll miss the gems in the hurley-burly of visiting drunken Yahoos from neighbouring isles.

As to increasing crime - that one has passed me by - but what do I know? I only live here.

I'm not campaigning for Dublin, you need to decide if it is for you - but the fare you've found sounds great - so, don't be dissuaded by a few impoverish opinions.

This sounds like ad agency nonsense.
The problem is the OP only has 24 hours including sleep in Dublin and doesn't drink.
So you have recommended

1. The Dublin Pubcrawl
2. A vibrant pub and music scene.
3. The Guinness Brewery tour.

There are museums and galleries in just about any major European city and the ones in Dublin aren't particularly outstanding.
I'm sure you can find hidden gems as you can in any city but as a whole Dublin is grim, expensive and with poor shops.
But I'm sure the OP will see the irony of arriving at a new €600million terminal in an airport run by someone paid more than the President of the USA and then having to carry his baggage onto a bus to get into the city centre.

Last edited by Showbizguru; Oct 2, 2011 at 7:25 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.