Wiki Posts
Search

TWA Still Gives Ticket Vouchers?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2001, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
TWA Still Gives Ticket Vouchers?

A couple of years ago TWA gave vouchers good for tickets to bumpees. One voucher = one ticket. Most other airlines gave, and give, dollar-denominated vouchers good for travel discounts.

I prefer the ticket vouchers, and need to decide which carrier to utilize for a trip for this summer. Does TWA still give vouchers good for tickets?

------------------
Middle Seat
Old Apr 27, 2001, 10:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The more fundamental question is that concerning your chances of getting compensation in the first place, which depend up the route, the flight day/time, and -- most importantly for this discussion -- the carrier. In other words, TWA could give away tickets to the moon but it wouldn't matter if their flights never overbooked. I've found that AA is a good deal all around on the bumping scene because they have lots of full flights and are pretty generous with their vouchers (IMO a $500 voucher is a better than a free ticket because it can be applied to multiple tickets and you get to earn miles).

To answer your original question, JI and WN are the only two airlines I know of besides TW that still offer free tickets as compensation for denied boarding.
Old Apr 27, 2001, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Originally posted by moondog:
The more fundamental question is that concerning your chances of getting compensation in the first place, which depend up the route, the flight day/time, and -- most importantly for this discussion -- the carrier. In other words, TWA could give away tickets to the moon but it wouldn't matter if their flights never overbooked.
Two years ago their flights between AUS and STL were often overbooked http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif Has their absorption by AA perhaps caused a greater reluctance among passengers to fly TWA, so no more overbooking?

------------------
Middle Seat
Old Apr 28, 2001, 1:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally posted by Middle_Seat:
Two years ago their flights between AUS and STL were often overbooked http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif Has their absorption by AA perhaps caused a greater reluctance among passengers to fly TWA, so no more overbooking?

I have no idea about AUS-STL because I don't do much jaunting about the midwest. My remarks are generalizable to all airlines, discounting for the crowds typical of hub-X flights (because most airlines have hubs). That said, AUS-STL is a TW stronghold, so if you're flying that route, TW wouldn't be a bad pick.

Old Apr 28, 2001, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
My experience, and I fly TWA a lot, is that a bump only happens about 1 in 100 flights. Mostly on busy Mon or Fri or special events or special holidays. I think reason it is much less than before is that 1) they do not overbook as much to keep hassels down and 2) more people standby for earlier flights if they finish their business early. This, of course, opens up their seat for a later flight. The "policy" that one can take an earlier flight w/o any penalty cost (for those with restricted tickets) is a smart move for airlines. It gets someone on an earlier flight IF space is available and, therefore, opens seats on later flights which help for overbookings, cancellations, delays, etc.

I bet in 8 out of 10 cases where they even took volunteers, they did not need them because enought confirmed passengers were no shows.

Some flights (like to Honolulu) used to be overbooked most days - but not sure that is true anymore. And as people don't like to delay vacations, bumps were good deals as one could bargin for a "system wide" voucher.
Old Oct 7, 2001, 6:56 pm

Any update on this? Is TW still giving free flights or have they migrated to the AA set amount voucher system?

rich
Old Oct 29, 2001, 10:56 am

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
I took a bump out of DTW two weeks ago and received a voucher, a portion of which I have since applied to a LIT-LAX mileage run I'll be doing in a couple of weeks. Not a bad deal - a "free" trip w/ free upgrades and doubles mile to boot! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.