TWA MRTC Report

Old Jul 21, 01, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, BA Silver, WN A-, AA LT Gold, IHG S/KIC, NCR EC
TWA MRTC Report

Just flew one of the newly configured MRTC MD82s tonight from STL-ORD. It was a plane with the old blockletter TRANS WORLD livery, so I was surprised. You can tell the difference on the MD80/82 series because the new configs have the 2-3 as AB-DEF instead of AC-DEF.

The configuration was 16/115. I was in an exit row, so my pitch didn't really change, but it looked like about 33.5" in the row behind mine. The seats are still the current TW seats as opposed to the AA Recaro seats. Fortunately, the TW seats aren't as bad as the AA 757 or A300 seats, or God Forbid the ex-Reno MD90 seats!
Old Jul 23, 01, 1:11 pm

I flew this morning LGA-STL on an MRTC MD80. TWA frequent flyers will note that rows 1 and 2 are now being blocked off from being assigned because they no longer exist on modified equipment.

In trying to secure upgrades to my favorite seat, 1F, the reservationist was unable and gave me 4F both ways. It pays to check at the airport if row 1 or 2 are available as they were basically empty on my STL-LGA flight.

The seat designation scheme has also changed in first class. The seats are now lettered A, B, E, F instead of what we were accustomed to on TWA: A, C, D, F. On the MD80 the bulkhead row is now #3, it retains its generous legroom with cutouts. One row of first has been eliminated, however, so now there are only 16 seats in first as opposed to 20 previously.

Bulkhead in economy is still #7 and it also retains its generous legroom from TWA configurations. I did not venture in back to see what MRTC looks like.

The service was very good onboard. Cloth tablecloth and napkins, silver, etc. Lots of pass-throughs asking about coffee/drink refills. The head F/A was Maureen, a veteran NY-based TW employee who I've flown with before. Galin, the FA working first even attempted to help me find room for my carry-on, I was impressed. It more than made up for my bad check-in experience.
Old Jul 23, 01, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
tfjim,

I flew on one of the reconfigured MD83s last night in F...was it just me, or did there seem to be a bit more legroom as well? Maybe it was just because I was on one of the newer models that had the seats w/ adjustable headrests that made it seem more comfortable, but my initial impression was that tehre was at least 1-2" more legroom than on my previous flight on Friday.

Old Jul 24, 01, 8:06 am

Socal,

You weren't dreaming. Apparently, on the MD-80 the pitch in TWA first class used to be 36 inches, this is being increased to 38 inches. I was in seat 6E, the last starboard aisle seat of first class and now that I think of it noticed the slight improvement. As a matter of fact I was dozing and the window occupant was able to get by me to get to the lavatory without waking me up (she wasn't svelte and she woke me up coming back in), but it's not the squeeze it used to be. And as I noted previously, the bulkhead, now row 3, has the same good legroom as before.

No other changes are being planned in first for the 717 or 757.

Here is a link to an Expedia story regarding some of the changes. http://www.expedia.com/daily/busines...ssTWASeats.asp

Search this Thread