Search

miles never expire?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2001, 3:09 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
miles never expire?

my beautiful wife & i have 18k + mi on twa. i tried to look at mine today & got no info from twa.com. these were earned in 95 or so. i have statements that say the mi never expire. is this correct? i will keep the paper to prove the case when the merge takes place. i'm top tier on aa.

[This message has been edited by clacko (edited 06-05-2001).]
Old Jun 5, 2001, 9:55 pm

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
Remember that TWA said the same thing about the "equity" awards, and decided that they didn't mean it after a few years.

And your TWA miles will soon fall onto all the rules of the AA program. They won't expire as long as you have some sort of activity (Visa, MCI, dining, flights, etc.) once every three years. That shouldn't be hard to do. FF
Old Jun 14, 2001, 2:00 am

clacko, if you are wondering if your Aviator miles have expired the likely answer is NO. If you are asking will they never expire in the future the answer again is NO. As you are aware unused Aviator miles will get transferred to the Aadvantage program. Once the miles are transferred to the Aadvantage program, they have an expiration of 3 years. As long as there is some activity (including redemptions, partners, etc.) within 3 years the expiration date for ALL the miles in your account extends by another 3 years.
Old Jun 14, 2001, 7:49 pm
Original Member

To clarify: "Never expire" is a promise made by a company, TWA, which now is bankrupt and no longer exists. Thus, there is no one that can perform that promise for you (or provide you the underlying transportation which you were hoping to obtain with those miles), except as was agreed in AA's assumption of the FF programs through the bankruptcy. The planes currently in the air are actually being operated by TWA, LLC, a new company.

"Merger" -- this was not a merger, but an asset purchase. AA thus did not legally succeed the the liabilities of TWA, except those which they agreed to accept (typically those which were associated with particular assets, such as plane leases). To the extent that AA agreed to accept any liability for the Aviators' balances, they agreed to do so only on their terms--i.e., that the miles would be folded into AAdvantage and all AAdvantage rules would apply once the miles were in AA accounts.

Djlawman

[This message has been edited by Djlawman (edited 06-14-2001).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.