Wiki Posts
Search

To take AA or TW mileage?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2001, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Location: new brunswick, new jersey and farmington, conn. USA
To take AA or TW mileage?

greetings, helpful and well-informed denizens of the TW board.

i just scored a veddy nice fare from Hartford to Seattle on TW later this summer, so i can try this "vacation" thing all the cool kids are doing. (i hear it's *swell*!)

anyhow, i'm an Elite member on TW, and a plain ol AAdvantage member on AA. which account is it smarter to post mileage with?

i have issues with going with TW for it's probably, we think, going to post as AAdvantage bonus mileage. there's also no way i'm getting up front on this fare, at this time of year, and at my elite level.

so. i might be missing something, as i am occasionally wont to do. your feedback, suggestions, and the like are most welcome and appreciated. thanks!
Old May 22, 2001, 1:12 pm

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
I would certainly go for the TWA miles as then you would earn your elite bonus (plus have the chance for the upgrade, depending on your status). Am I missing something here?

FF
Old May 23, 2001, 5:24 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
I think the TWA miles (actual counting toward elite status) will count toward AA Elite. Of course, the qualifications may be different. I don't think, as you think, that TWA miles will become only bonus miles on AA. So I plan to get miles in TWA as I get bigger bonuses and then let them move to AA. Of course, I am already qualified for Platinum again on TWA for 2002, so hopefully will become top level on AA til then automatically.
Old May 23, 2001, 9:20 am

SAPMAN,

How do you know you're qualified Platinum already for 2002? I'm curious, did the Aviators Service Center tell you that? The reason I ask is because it is obviously much easier to get Platinum on TWA as opposed to American (American require 150,000 miles on discount tickets).

If you've found out that you are already Platinum on TWA through 2002 (ie till Feb 2003) then I might seriously consider making a run for Platinum on TWA, I'm currently Elite 1.
Old May 24, 2001, 10:57 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I called AA earlier this month because I was thinking of doing a quick trip to FRA. I asked nicely and got my ELITE1 status matched to PLAT which is good until FEB 2002. I have a few trips scheduled on TWA that I will put on my Aviators account so I should have no problem getting my 50K, but the PLAT means I can now take advantage of the bonus miles on AA on those cheap weekend fares to places that TWA no longer flies.

TWA miles will not be bonus miles but regular AA miles is what I was told.

lala
Old May 24, 2001, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
Originally posted by tfjim:
SAPMAN,

How do you know you're qualified Platinum already for 2002? I'm curious, did the Aviators Service Center tell you that? The reason I ask is because it is obviously much easier to get Platinum on TWA as opposed to American (American require 150,000 miles on discount tickets).
AA PLT only needs 50,000 miles no matter what type of ticket (as long as its a paid fare). If you did it by Q-points, 50,000 points.

50,000 points would be 100,000 miles on discount economy tickets. 100,000 miles would get you EXP.

[This message has been edited by SFOJFK (edited 05-24-2001).]
Old May 26, 2001, 8:01 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
I have 100,000 + actual miles on TWA since January, so should be Platinum for next year.

I did not check as to how AA will handle this, but I expect if my actual miles on TWA transfer as actual miles (for flights in 2001) in AA - I should be ok. But until it happens, nothing is "for sure".

I pushed for TWA early platinum as it is easier to get than on AA (with the higher minumum mileage).
Old May 26, 2001, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, folks!

Actually, i decided to take a tip from lalala and call AA; i'm plain old boring TW Elite, so i figured they'd match me for gold; the person i spoke with was extremely pleasant and helpful and matched my status on AA, making me a Gold.

So, the point's now moot. Thanks, though, for all the answers, and to lalala for planting the idea in my head. And, of course, to AAdvantage customer service, too. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif
Old May 29, 2001, 10:38 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Hi All-

good luck gwendolynaoife!

I actually got my platinum card and welcome packet in the mail on Saturday. Its nice, but
the lack of upgrades sucks. I shall miss TWA's automatic upgrades http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frown.gif.

I am still looking for some cheap fares to
use this new card, my account balance is 0.

lala
Old May 29, 2001, 2:47 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I like tfjim's idea! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

Also, were you able to skip the sending in of your TWA Aviators materials to obtain the match, gwendolynaoife, since they are now essentially the same company? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif
Old May 30, 2001, 3:42 am
Original Poster

Originally posted by doc:
I like tfjim's idea! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

Also, were you able to skip the sending in of your TWA Aviators materials to obtain the match, gwendolynaoife, since they are now essentially the same company? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif
Believe it or not, i was able to skip it.

That would have been a case study in situational corporate irony if they wanted it, though! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif
Old Jun 3, 2001, 8:00 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
aa gold 25000 base miles inc 500 min
aa platinum 50000 base miles
aaexecutive platinum 100000 base miles or 100000 points 100% for full fare coach, 125% for bus, 150% for first, 50% for disc coach. all based on base miles

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.