Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > TWA FFB/Aviators
Reload this Page >

American Delays TWA Integration of Mileage Program

Old Apr 11, 01, 12:19 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

American Airlines frequent-flier members can use their miles on TWA, but TWA customers will have to wait before receiving reciprocal treatment.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum71/HTML/003197.html
Old Apr 12, 01, 5:52 am
doc
Original Poster

Six months after approval is granted, TWA frequent-flier members - along with their accumulated miles - will be switched automatically to American's AAdvantage program.
http://news.airwise.com/stories/2001/04/987064775.html
Old Apr 13, 01, 9:51 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
This may be good, as one gets many more miles per segment on TWA than on AA - both status miles and bonus miles. As Platinum, with 2K bonus for Web booking and a min of 1K (status) + 1 K bonus for every segment - for example, I can fly Kansas City to Chicago (4 segs RT) and get 10K miles! (plus a few for the $$ cost of the ticket).

Old May 18, 01, 7:03 am
doc
Original Poster

Now that American Airlines has gobbled up the bankrupt TWA, some details of the inevitable end to the TWA Aviators frequent-flyer program have been announced. According to the TWA website,
http://www.twa.com/ffbenroll/news.html

Aviators will cease to exist on November 30. (This assumes a pro forma approval by the bankruptcy court on June 18.) TWA members will receive an automatic one-time credit in their American AAdvantage account to cover the entire balance of their Aviators activity. But the credit depends on your name and address being listed identically in the records of both Aviators and AAdvantage. Travelers whose identities don't match or who don't have an existing AAdvantage account will have to register to receive the credit.
Old May 18, 01, 7:09 am

Location: AA EXP & Life Plat; AA 4MM; TWA Life Plat; HH Diamond
TWA members will receive an automatic one-time credit in their American AAdvantage account to cover the entire balance of their Aviators activity.

Doc,

I think the word you want to use here is "unused" instead of "entire." There is still a question which AA hasn't answred yet which is what if anything they will do with TWA "Program-To-Date" miles (for use to move one's AA balance toward Life Gold/Plat).

Old May 18, 01, 4:08 pm

Location: new brunswick, new jersey and farmington, conn. USA
well, my question is if there's a mechanism within TWA for that sort of tracking...i did once ask what my lifetime TW balance was, and they didn't have much of a clue.

(i did it on paper...117,000 miles total, something like 52,000 flown, and i have about 40K available which will be tasty mileage, either way, in my AA account. It would be nice to count it like AA does towards total miles for life, but i'm still in the mid-200s with this added to my AA account. This has been a pointless aside.)

Given that i've never known TW to obfuscate or avoid when asked questions (well, other than when we're leaving!), i have to wonder if they tracked this at all. i might be being naive, though...so i'd love more insight!
Old May 18, 01, 6:53 pm

Location: AA EXP & Life Plat; AA 4MM; TWA Life Plat; HH Diamond
"Gwen:,

TWA did and does in fact track two numbers:
Lifetime Accumulated Miles (Including things like Hotels, Cars, Bonus Miles, etc.)
Lifetime TWA Flight Miles: Actual TWA flight miles only.

The never really used the first number for anything (unlike AA who uses it for their Lifetime Gold/Platinum levels). The second number they used to award their Lifetime Platinum status at 1MM actual fligth miles.

If you call them they can tell you...although they seem to take a few minutes on the phone to find it. You might have bettter luck using the TWA.com email system to get a direct response.

Search this Thread