Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > TWA FFB/Aviators
Reload this Page >

So is this time to transfer AX miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2001, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA 2 mm EXP, Citibank Platinum...

Any ideas if it'll still work and if so, for how long. Presuming Amex is still a marketing partner is it wise to wait for Justice Dept OK?

Old Mar 12, 2001, 4:30 pm

It's always best to wait until it's a done deal. If the deal is signed sealed and delivered, the risk of waiting is that they may find a way to exclude mileage transfers. My guess is there is a huge number of people in this situaiton that could move hundreds of millions of miles at a moments notice. Can AA accrue for this?
I don't know.
Old Mar 13, 2001, 6:07 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
My guess is that TWA/AA get paid 2 cents per mile from AMEX and this would actually be a cash benefit.

These guys all have major incentive program initiatives where they sell miles all day long at cpm.

My understanding is that the only reason AA is not in the AMEX program is that they agrreed to an exclusive with Citibank on the Avnatage credit card (Citibank owns Diners, hence their participation there), but it's not as if they don't want to sell miles.
Old Mar 13, 2001, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
So do you guys think it's time?

If they can reject contracts, or not pick up contracts, it could be that after the deal is final, they will kill the transfers, if only becasuse it might violate their deal with Citibank?

Until then, they probably have to let TWA operate on its own?
Old Mar 14, 2001, 11:46 am

I just tranfered 130k over to TWA, I took the risk!!!
Old Mar 14, 2001, 2:41 pm

Funny thing...I just jumped in with a boatload.
Old Mar 14, 2001, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA 2 mm EXP, Citibank Platinum...
Santai:

I'm looking at about double that from Amex, (2 be added 2 as much from TW) so a bit more risk-averse, I guess. Did you ask anybody at Amex MM or TWA re: potential problems?

I'm inclined to do it by week's end and presume no problems from Justice Dept but wonderin' if Icahn or anyone else can delay/derail this deal.

Thanx all

Old Mar 14, 2001, 2:53 pm

1. I do think it's revenue from AMEX to TWA, so I don't think they would want to cancel it, if they didn't have to.

2. They have a contractual obligation with AMEX to honor it until they give appropriate notice...although a bankruptcy court judge can rule just about anything and cancel any contract.

3. I think AA will have to cancel it, because of their exclusive with Citibank over thier Visa card.

4. If the deal gets derailed and Ichan or Justice blow it up, it could be ugly.

Old Mar 14, 2001, 3:30 pm

I still can't believe I did it. It's a lotta miles.

I'm nervous.
Old Mar 15, 2001, 7:12 am

Wow. My new TWA miles already posted. They say 3-5 days, but they are there now.

Now it's a waiting game.
Old Mar 15, 2001, 10:10 am

The question I am grappling with is whether, given a potentially large influx of TW miles, AA would change the lifetime GLD/PLT rules with the merger. I've got enough AMEX points to reach 2MM on AA, but haven't decided if this really is the best use for them.
Old Mar 15, 2001, 10:31 am

I'm in the same boat.

AA miles aren't a bad place for AMEX miles...

I guess it just depends on whether they treat meaningful TWA PAX as second class citizens.

If they allow Citibank miles to count, why not AMEX? My understanding is that they get paid by AMEX for these miles: AA is funding TWA, so I just generated a boatload of $$ for TWA, which means less $$ AA has to fund...

Well, to me the biggest risks are:

1. AA establishes a date after which these miles won't count, and you can't get the miles from AMEX into Aviators in time; and

2. The AA deal doesn't happen and TWA liquidates.

I guess I feel that 2 is low enough now, and 1 is a real one, and the benefit if it goes thru is pretty high, so I pulled the trigger.
Old Mar 15, 2001, 5:23 pm

Bostom: I did not ask anyone, I watched the news and evaluated the risk and made the move.
Old Mar 18, 2001, 11:19 am

Programs: DL 3MM/DM, AA 3MM/PLT, UA 1K
Does anyone know if the AmEx points will count towards TWA elite status when converted? I understand that TWA counts partner activity towards Elite status?
Old Mar 18, 2001, 1:23 pm

AMEX point transfers do not count towards Elite status, unfortunately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.