Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TK 777 to where?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2009, 3:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, ICH Plat, Radisson Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
It's actually the same as the new AC C seat. Similar but not quite as good as the NZ or VS one which completely turns over to provide a mattress whereas the TK and AC seat slides down to a flat position so you sleep on the same surface as you sit on. Seems to be a similar but slightly cheaper version. Still excellent though and with the same herringbone layout providing direct access to the aisle from all seats.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 1:25 am

Programs: SPG LTP, HH D
Originally Posted by dcfan
When you have tried and tested it, please let me know. The lease is for about 3 years I think. Anyway Tk has ordered '5' 77w recently!
A couple or so days ago, I managed to get the 77W for IST-BKK in J. And this was followed up a day later by SQ's 77W on SIN-ICN-SFO on New Business Class, so I had a chance to compare the 2 seats (I had also taken SQ's NBC 1.5yrs ago). I quite liked the seat on TK/9W's 77W, definitely better than SQ Spacebed. I thought it was a more compact version of the SQ NBC, narrower and it seemed to me slightly shorter although the width/length was not a factor for me since I'm a short arse but relatively svelte . The seats are layed out in 1-2-1 herringbone as per the seatmap. The TK seat is probably IMO a better seating seat than the SQ NBC seat while the latter is a better bed IMO but having said that I have no problem using the SQ NBC seat as a seat (in fact I prefer to "sit" on the NBC when it is in the bed mode like one does on a real bed). Where people might prefer the TK 77W seat for sleeping is that it allows you to sleep in a N-S straight line along the straight line length of the seat but whereas the SQ NBC you have to sleep angling your body and legs to the left (I think that only the front row NBC seats, row 11(?) on 77W allows you to sleep in a N-S straight line like the TK one - I managed to finagle 11A on the way back to SIN so I will check that out).

Seatwise, IMO there is very little to choose between them apart from personal preferences. I kind of like also the touchscreen thingy for the entertainment system on the TK/9W 77W compared to the menu system on the AVOD on the SQ 77W which I found somewhat cumbersome when moving down the chain for example Movies to Action to the pages of those categories and moving from page to page in each category.

Cabin service wise, IMO, TK is nowhere in SQ's league (not even same sport as Samuel L Jackson might say) - SQ is not unbeatable but TK's really no threat in that area based on my 2 longhaul experiences so far. TK isn't really that bad, if you're a very low/nil maintenance person which I am, but I can definitely see people who might have a problem with TK service. For some reason the crew I got had a problem remembering food/drink orders... sometimes mere seconds after I made those requests.

I took a bunch of photos of both seats but I've no way of putting them up. Unfortunately, I have no way of accessing file sharing sites like photobucket or rapidshare etc. - it's how my office laptop is set up - don't ask .
Old Aug 3, 2009, 7:31 am

Programs: BMI
Many thanks for that. ICC have changed by SQ flights from KUL to AMS and bmi onto LHR to LH and Thai so I am happy with that for now. Could not face SQ spacebed again. Hope to try TK soon. Buy have seats on Austrian. ANA, LH and Thai in the near future. Good to read your report. Thanks again .
Old Aug 11, 2009, 6:22 am

According to expert flyer the JFK route is now operated by the 77W daily during Oct
Old Aug 11, 2009, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
BKK-IST SAT 17 Oct was changed today from A340 to 77W ^

BKK-IST SUN 12 Oct is still A340 so probably TK will keep using a mix of A340/77W to/from BKK
Old Aug 16, 2009, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
So what's going on with the 77W scheduling?

Look out to February and I only see it going to HKG and NRT.

Look out to May and I only see it going to NRT.

No BKK or SIN.

Have they just not flipped the aircraft on some routes from 330 to 77W yet?
Old Aug 16, 2009, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ALL I know is that since TK started with the 77W, they got a nice bit of my Biz, all paid Biz fares 3-4x to London and 3x to Asai. As they have in two of these instances/destinations swapped their a/c, they are losing my Biz again, while their A330/40 Biz seats are okay, I cannot stand the stupid footrests when in the reclined position (and their at times irresponsible and frankly stupid younger cabin staff).
Old Aug 17, 2009, 5:38 am

Programs: BA Silver
I've come to the conclusion that its not worth booking a 77W route more than a few weeks out due to risk of aircraft swap. In fact even 2 weeks out isn't enough to avoid this awful fate sometimes.

TK have tried or will soon try 77W on SIN/BKK/ICN/HKG/LHR/NRT routes. They should have enough info re premium demand on these routes to actually make a decision for the whole winter season and stick to it. Surely it can't be that hard can it? After all many other airlines manage it.

If they want F class business they have to reliably offer the product. Fare paying pax are not willing to play "chase the aircraft" around Asia. However I get the feeling that the F cabin in their leased aircraft is just an inconvenience and they would gladly do without it if they could. If they are using this as an experiment to decide whethe rto roll out F on other aircraft they have definately stacked the odds against.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by oxfordjames
According to expert flyer the JFK route is now operated by the 77W daily during Oct
Daily 777-300ER to JFK starting 28SEP09 and will be maintained during 09/10 Winter season.

1 weekly 777-300ER to Chicago starting 30OCT09 on Day 5
Old Aug 19, 2009, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by jiml1126
Daily 777-300ER to JFK starting 28SEP09 and will be maintained during 09/10 Winter season.

1 weekly 777-300ER to Chicago starting 30OCT09 on Day 5
Yep, it is nice to see more capacity passengers on operate 77W aircraft. I'm sure TK will be very successful route for JFK-IST during in winter seasonal 2009/10. If they will done it very well. If TK will goes for year-round long. It will try to have enough more profitable.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 9:42 pm

Can I count on 77W on Oct 5 / 6 ?

How about TK61 BKK-IST on Oct 5 and then TK1 IST-JFK on Oct 6?

Will it be the 77W with first class suites?
Old Aug 20, 2009, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Huh? For most of the winter you can roll bowling balls through the cabins of TK a/c to NY and not hit anyones legs on the A340's. They are trying to take advantage of DL cutting it down to 3 or 4x during the winter months....
Old Aug 20, 2009, 1:01 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
It's also very frustrating that they are not scheduling their 77's on flights for next year (April/May timeframe) because I am looking to book a reward flight and there is no first class availability. I'm flying HKG-europe and IST would have been a nice transit point if first class was available. If it's not, I'd rather fly another airline like Air China or Lufthansa where it's available...
Old Aug 20, 2009, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For next year? They are having problems doing it month to month currently.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 3:37 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by hfly
For next year? They are having problems doing it month to month currently.

Hah that's hilarious. It's funny too that they are showing first class reward availability on 2-class aircraft...

I guess they are anticipating they will have the 3-class in by then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.