Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Warning about KWI outstation! Trying to charge for a golf bag!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2024, 3:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Thai, Cathay, Lufthansa, Delta, SPG, Hilton, IH, LHW

Ten days ago I was on a KWI-IST-JED TK in Y. I'm Elite and was travelling with 2 bags, including my golf bag, total of 32kgs.

The check-in agent at the Business desk tried to charge me for my golf bag. I told her I should not be charged for it. She told me I had to show her a written proof of it. KWI check-in area doesn't have wifi, so I couldn't connect.

I ask to speak to the Station manager. First came the Operation manager...he would not bulge, you have to pay! Than 30 minutes later came the Station Manager who told me ..."it's written somewhere, one line, but you don't have to pay". Obviously he could not provide any document to substantiate his claim.

From the time I was greeted at the desk to the time I got my boarding pass, 60 minutes! Insulting!

Once in the lounge, I got online and could see in less than a minute that TK clearly stated that the first golf bag is free of charge. Upon boarding, three of them were there...I showed them the page...and received a smile with a sarcastic "sorry".

I did open a feedback, but as we all know, TK is not replying anything, they are not even able to acknowledge the fact that I should not pay for the golf bag! Zero customer service on this!

Be aware if you travel through KWI with a golf bag!
Old Mar 11, 2024, 4:41 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Sorry to spoil your party but TK could have charged you because a golf bag is free only if you notify TK at least 48 hours before flight.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Do you know what would be the procedure to notify them?
Old Mar 11, 2024, 1:29 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-i...rts-equipment/
Old Mar 12, 2024, 10:46 am
Original Poster

I've tried to do my homework. 3 exchange of feedback. No reply would even address the situation. When I call TK, I'm told I need to pay 186usd for my next flight if I want to travel with my golf bag. They don't care if it's in my kgs allowance or not.

What I cannot understand, is that the web site of TK is clearly stating that the first golf bag is free of charge. Once you call, they want to charge you, same thing online.

They are clearly not consistent with what is advertise on the web site.

Anybody has any idea?
Old Mar 13, 2024, 6:36 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Contact via email your local TK office.

They should just add a remark in the reservation. No need to physical add another sports bag.

BTW TK website also requires payment for the first golf bag.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for the great advise. I sent an email to the Kinshasa office for my flight middle of next week. Interesting the reply was just to send me the link about sport equipment.

This time I'm coming ready with a screen shot of emails, plus of all the web pages from TK showing first golf bag is free of charge.

Thanks for the advise Flyerby, I truly appreciate. I fell so weird that TK cannot have a clear policy on this. Going to be E+by end of June...but not ready to have play this game each time I fly them with my golf bag.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Normally they just check them in, obviously a third party agent at a distant and small station. Maybe the fact that you seemingly were flying KWI-IST-JED threw them off. instead of flying about 1200 KM, and about 2.5 hours, you instead flew 1500KM (appx 3hr) PLUS 2180KM (appx 4 hour) with a stopover of at least 2.5 hours, if not as many as 15 hours, so from 4 to 6 times the time. Unless one i looking to get a hidden day in IST, why on Earth would you torture yourself with such a routing? KWI-JED nonstop is not hugely expensive!
Old Mar 16, 2024, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by hfly
Normally they just check them in, obviously a third party agent at a distant and small station. Maybe the fact that you seemingly were flying KWI-IST-JED threw them off. instead of flying about 1200 KM, and about 2.5 hours, you instead flew 1500KM (appx 3hr) PLUS 2180KM (appx 4 hour) with a stopover of at least 2.5 hours, if not as many as 15 hours, so from 4 to 6 times the time. Unless one i looking to get a hidden day in IST, why on Earth would you torture yourself with such a routing? KWI-JED nonstop is not hugely expensive!
OP is with TK, so lounge access and extra bag means more than the extra journeys.

Someone redeemed C ticket flying from Scandinavia to Washington DC and return home the day after. She said she loves being in business class.
SQ025 likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 12:35 am
Original Poster

Or simply I'm trying to get to E+ without creating new trips...and once that done, I can indeed be back to schedule/trip that do make more sense!
Old Mar 18, 2024, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

nacho, there are all sorts of people that do all sorts of crazy things. Personally, as I am sure many of us have done the connection rather than the nonstop for miles or status reasons, similarly many of us have taken non-direct routings in order to save big on Biz fares, for example (sort of the raison d'etre of the ME3 + TK for example) many people backtrack from Europe to IST to fly to the US, which is understandable if you can save several grand on a Biz ticket for example. What I was highlighting was that this is an EXTREME example, potentially taking 6x the time to get somewhere, in Economy Class, for a fare that IMHE could not have been cheaper than doing it in a much shorter period of time.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by hfly
many people backtrack from Europe to IST to fly to the US, which is understandable if you can save several grand on a Biz ticket for example.
We do that in Y because I vote with my wallet for all inclusive fare.
the810 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Little update of my last check-in involving the famous golf bag! This time was from Kinshasa. No question asked...went as smooth even with a bonus 2 hours delays!

To note...people at Flyertalk are amazing...thanks for the great help! Next point to note, I still haven't been able to get a proper...decent...any...answer from TK about this issue! Next time, I'll come prepare even if nothing is happening!

I thought the higher you get status wise, the smoother an airline is making it for you...well...maybe, but maybe not with TK.

Let see with the months...as long as the benefits are better than the hassle...we all know what is happening!
the810 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry, I have to ask......Kinshasa with a golf bag? How is the Golf in the DRC?
Old Mar 23, 2024, 12:19 am
Original Poster

I know I'm going off topic, but to answer about golf in DRC. You have the Lubumbashi course which is pretty impressive! Would easily qualify in the top 100 in South Africa ranking. There is also a tough course right in the middle of Kinshasa...water on around 15 holes! More than decent course! If you are more adventurous, you have 18 holes, dirt green, 2-3 member maximum course in Likasi (I play it once). There is also a 9 holes on a mine in Kolwezi, never play this one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.