Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Changing ticket to another booking class - is this a bug?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2023, 3:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Platinum (OW Emerald), SkyTeam Elite (ITA status match)

I have a changeable booking in economy and was playing around with some dates and noticed that I could change a flight to another date with the same fare but higher booking class and just pay the booking fee (in my case just 50 EUR), so in theory I could upgrade a V-class ticket to an S-class (double miles, fully refundable). It didn't make sense but this is what the website showed so I decided to go for it. Well, 50 euro later I have almost the same flights in the same booking class (V), basically wasting my money.

Anybody has an idea why and how that happened? I would expect to pay fare difference and not just the change fee. Funnily enough, if I try to change the flight to the same flight (website allows that as well), then the change goes ahead without payment, I get my tickets reissued and again - booking class is the same as original. Am I missing something here?
Old Nov 21, 2023, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
You changed/rebooked the date and the same booking class was available for rebooking, hence you only paid the change fee. You thought that the booking class would change without payment of up-fare? Just because you don't see a booking class online/when making a new booking, it doesn't mean that it is not available for rebooking (apparently).

You can't make non-refundable fare refundable by rebooking into a higher refundable booking class. TK is not that stupid.
Old Nov 21, 2023, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Platinum (OW Emerald), SkyTeam Elite (ITA status match)
Originally Posted by SK AAR
You changed/rebooked the date and the same booking class was available for rebooking, hence you only paid the change fee.
The thing is, when the same booking class was obviously available, why was it not shown in the screenshot above? Instead, two other booking classes were presented, but the change fee was calculated based on the (hidden) original booking class. Quite confusing and honestly not what I would expect to see as a user. Just before payment, it was clearly shown that I would be changing to a flight in a different booking class. Usually, I would expect to get what I see on the screen when paying for something online.

Being able to change the flight to itself and having it reissued with email confirmation is also quite bizarre IMHO. I mean, a simple message like "In order to change your flight, you need to select a flight and booking class that are different from your original booking" would be more appropriate.

TK might not be so stupid, yes, but their user interface is not the most intelligent.
Old Nov 21, 2023, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by dump
TK might not be so stupid, yes, but their user interface is not the most intelligent.
Nobody in this forum has praised TK IT system/platforms for being flawless - on the contrary....
Old Nov 22, 2023, 7:57 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S
TK, just give you a promise and take your 50eur and did not keep its promise.

Just cheating you. Well as long as you dont take the case to court, TK will never ever listen you , and never ever pay your 50eur back.

TK is famous for such things .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.