Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there often phantom awards on TK?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2023, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Is there often phantom awards on TK?

On their website they're showing 45,000 miles plus about $300 for a business class special from LJU-IST-SEA, but I call and he only sees 107,500 miles. Wondering if this is a mistake fare? Aeroplan has it for 90k plus about $100. Do they have these often?

Last edited by qofmiwok; Nov 16, 2023 at 10:14 pm
Old Nov 16, 2023, 11:03 pm

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
If TK and AC has it on their website (you can also easily check with UA) then it’s most probably not a phantom inventory but a bad agent. Why not just buy the ticket online? Or HUCA.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

I did HUCA but got same answer. And they will only let you buy 1 ticket or you have to call to buy it. And I don't want to transfer points unless I know it's real. I'm going for the Air Canada 90k but now my UR points haven't transferred in a half hour although they're supposed to be instantaneous.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

Just checked UA and it's not there, so does that mean it's not real?
Still showing on Air Canada although my points are not there yet. But just realized, will I have to release my told on them at Turkish in order to actually book them on AC? (I have them on hold at 107500 points)
Old Nov 16, 2023, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by qofmiwok
I did HUCA but got same answer. And they will only let you buy 1 ticket or you have to call to buy it. And I don't want to transfer points unless I know it's real. I'm going for the Air Canada 90k but now my UR points haven't transferred in a half hour although they're supposed to be instantaneous.
Walk away from M&S.

Many people come across it because they have a stash of Citi or Capital 1 points. But then something inevitably goes wrong. Especially if you have a TK account with little history.
nacho and ffay005 like this.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 1:36 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
It seems to be a tough call. Can also check with LH and NH.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 1:40 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, GHA Discovery Titanium, Accor Gold, LH Senator
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Walk away from M&S.

Many people come across it because they have a stash of Citi or Capital 1 points. But then something inevitably goes wrong. Especially if you have a TK account with little history.
Couldn't agree more. If you must redeem points (e.g. you have existing or orphaned points), only attempt it for flights on TK metal.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by qofmiwok
Even if they said they have it, and if you transfer your points and then has any hiccup on the way and delayed the process, those tickets are very well be long gone by then. That happened to us when we transferred AMEX points to our BA accounts. In our case it wasn't that fun because we have already booked one ticket with another FFP account and we needed to redeem 2 from our BA account. Fortunately, it wasn't a promotion nor peak season so the seats were still there when the points got to the account.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, I transfered UR to Aeroplan last night to buy them there, supposed to be instantaneous but haven't shown up. Just waiting for the points to arrive or the flights to disappear.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Just wanted to give an update. Still no points at Aeroplan which I transfered from Chase last night. Someday they will show up and I'll have to use them for something else. But this morning on my third call to Turkish they "found" the 45,000 point business class seats (I class), cancelled my prior reservation and placed a new hold. While I was still on the phone the 45,000 seats disappeared from inventory online and the price went to 107,500 (C Class), and my email confirmation actually had flight details while yesterday's didn't. So I had good reason to believe the seats were actually held that time and probably not the first time. I transferred 90k points from Capital One, they went instantly, and I called to pay the $300 fee each. Got ticketed right away. So at least in this case Miles & Smiles worked out great. Nothing better than HUCA.
SK AAR and nacho like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.