Wiki Posts
Search

What's the catch?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2023, 4:56 am
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
If we return to subject the answer is exactly this about the catch.

Many people in the US celebrate both Thanksgiving and Christmas and travel between those two periods is almost dead to a very low demand as people are already traveling on peak holiday season. That is why TK is dumping fares on that period to fill seats.
Exactly, its nothing to do with the TK biz seat. Given how much TK change equipment there is no way they could price based on aircraft type even if they wanted to.

Personally I quite like the older TK seat, especially on the A330
Old Nov 7, 2023, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
If we return to subject the answer is exactly this about the catch.

Many people in the US celebrate both Thanksgiving and Christmas and travel between those two periods is almost dead to a very low demand as people are already traveling on peak holiday season. That is why TK is dumping fares on that period to fill seats.
What about business travel? I know in Scandinavia business travels still go on the first 2 weeks in December.
Old Nov 7, 2023, 10:48 am

I got two business tickets from SEA to Germany and back (going through IST) for US$ 3300 each (787-9 and A321) for late April (shoulder season, but still). The next cheapest one was BA for US$ 4200. Even with status in BA, I couldn't pass this. It'll be my first time with Turkish, we'll see how it goes.
Old Nov 7, 2023, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by nacho
What about business travel? I know in Scandinavia business travels still go on the first 2 weeks in December.
Business travel still goes on but there are couple of factors, TK out of West Coast USA:

- Most companies in California ( especially the tech companies ) stopped non-necessary business travel which are things that could be handled online rather than in-person. So, major spenders in the region are not traveling for business dinners, or just a 2 hour presentation similar to pre-COVID.

- TK is not a huge player in business travel out of the USA, especially on flights to Europe. I assume that most major corporations have corporate discounts through one of the major joint-ventures. I also doubt that any company would push someone to fly TK for the detour compared to a more direct and time convenient option.

If TK was successful filling their planes, I doubt they would offer those discounted fares and I heavily suspect that it's not only TK as either on blogs or the premium fares section, US West Coast to Europe fares for $2500-2600 are pretty top trending for the winter season.
TPJ and nacho like this.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Thanks for the insight! No wonder I can score promo award in C to SEA for September next year. The availability completely blocked from May to first 2 weeks of September. It seems that TK C is used by leisure travellers.
TPJ and AfterHour like this.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 11:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nacho
Thanks for the insight! No wonder I can score promo award in C to SEA for September next year. The availability completely blocked from May to first 2 weeks of September. It seems that TK C is used by leisure travellers.
That is my observation as well.
I have taken several longhaul flights on TK business class.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by sdix
Am I missing something or is this just a great deal from an airline trying to increase visitors to Turkey???
Looks like a pretty good price to me.

I've flown Turkish Airlines between IST and the US west coast several times. They're not perfect (what is?) but overall, I think they generally do a good, often great job. Most things go very well and I've always found the flights to be great – though the flights being ~12 hours long, any enjoyment or annoyances may be amplified after all those hours. That said, I look forward to my next flight on TK. Turkish Airlines is clearly trying hard to win hearts, minds, awards, and customers. It shows. Sometimes things don't go smoothly, and their staff may or may not respond well (I've experienced both), but on the whole, I think they are trying to be good, even great (and I wish them success with that).

As for those business class seats: I've flown the 777 ("old" interior) and the 787 (new interior); I'm also booked on their A350, but that flight's not for many months so it'll be a while before I can offer any opinion on that one, but I suspect the A350 seats are going to be almost identical to those on the 787. All that said, I think the (old) 777 seats are the best for sleeping, especially if you have long legs, big feet, or are otherwise "big" anywhere. Yes, the cabin layout is 2-3-2, so there's the dreaded "middle seat in business class" which few people want (though it's absolutely perfect for a couple traveling with a child). The 777 seats have less privacy. But those seats are much more spacious, and far superior for sleeping. No, they don't all have "direct aisle access" like most new business class seats, but the "pitch" is so huge that there's no need to climb or jump over the person next to you - you can simply walk around them (around their outstretched legs and feet) to get to the aisle. The new seats on the 787 are nice, they feel new and more "modern" but I sleep better in the more spacious 777 seats (and I'm not particularly tall). But the new seats are the style that's expected, so expect more of those in the future (I believe TK is/will be updating the 777 business class with a new cabin; I don't know what that will be like but I suspect that "middle seat" will be gone then).
nacho likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 2:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Liquid Sunshine
the "pitch" is so huge that there's no need to climb or jump over the person next to you - you can simply walk around them (around their outstretched legs and feet) to get to the aisle.
I get your overall point, but this physically isn't possible when your seatmate has their seat in the fully flat position with the legrest connected to the ottoman. Even if their legs don't reach all the way to the end of the seat/ottoman, there's a physical barrier between your seat in the aisle that you have to climb over.
z4017 and AfterHour like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.