Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Bed-length & foot-room on Turkish Biz Class - 787 vs 777 vs A350 ???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2023, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Flying SFO-IST late August. First time on Turkish Business class. Have heard great things about it, especially on the 787.
I'm 6'4"/194cm and also size 14 feet.
Which aircraft configuration has the longest lay-flat bed?
Also, some airlines (even luxury like SQ) have small foot-wells that my big feet do not fit into. What is the footwell like in the various aircraft?
Is it like some airlines where there is more legroom and a more open foot area on the bulkhead seats?

Also, my preferred date only has A350 or 777. I could wait one more day and fly on the 787.
Is the 787 so much better it is worth flying a day later for?
What is the difference between seat comfort, etc on 787 vs 777/A350?

Thank you.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 7:43 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
B787 and A350 aircraft have the same C-class seats (unless you are on one of the ex-SU A350 - they have a different configuration - check a dedicated thread).

If you like to have good privacy, Instagramable seat but coffin-like small footrest - choose A350.

If you like to have great legroom, great wide footrest but little privacy (and sorry no Instagram pictures) - choose B777.
miket and FEasy like this.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for input.
I'm not a fan of the open layout of the 777.
How does the seat/bed and footrest compare between 350 & 787 ?
Is the bulkhead seat on either of these any better for the feet?
Old Jul 23, 2023, 1:20 am
TPJ

Originally Posted by mlondon
Is the bulkhead seat on either of these any better for the feet?
Window bulkhead seats are blocked for families with infants - as these are dedicated bassinet positions. Airport Customer Service agents can assign them when you check-in, but there is always a small chance that when someone with infant shows up you will be reassigned to any other random seat. I try to recall if the foot holes are wider - I think they are but I am not 100% sure.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 7:27 am

Programs: AC UA TK FI DL
Lots of reviews on YouTube if you search…

B787

A350

Last edited by iamaho; Jul 23, 2023 at 7:33 am
Old Jul 23, 2023, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Just a word of caution making your choice of travel dates based on certain equipment, in particular if far out, where you easily can find yourself on a different aircraft than what you booked originally.
ISTFlyer, TPACjv and DiamondMile like this.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Just a word of caution making your choice of travel dates based on certain equipment, in particular if far out, where you easily can find yourself on a different aircraft than what you booked originally.
Indeed, if the flight is beyond 3 months, don't rely on the equipment as TK doesn't allow complimentary changes on equipment swaps and if you would like to fly on a particular seat and change your flight; the change fee and the fare difference would still be due.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 10:27 am
Original Poster

This is all helpful.
i did read another review here that adds clarity:
https://upgradedpoints.com/travel/ai...s-plane-types/

But I’m still not clear; Are the 787 and A350 seats identical?
And do the bulkhead seats on both 787 and A350 have extra footroom?

if I can get bulkhead, I’m leaning towards 787/A350, but if not, then maybe the old-school 777 is a better choice for a proper, stretched out and unconstrained sleep….
Old Jul 23, 2023, 11:31 am

This is all helpful.
i did read another review here that adds clarity:
https://upgradedpoints.com/travel/ai...s-plane-types/

But I’m still not clear; Are the 787 and A350 seats identical?
And do the bulkhead seats on both 787 and A350 have extra footroom?

if I can get bulkhead, I’m leaning towards 787/A350, but if not, then maybe the old-school 777 is a better choice for a proper, stretched out and unconstrained sleep….
I’ve flown on both the A350 and 787 and as far as I can tell the seats are exactly the same.

Personally if you are tall or big I think the 777 seats are better (but I’m biased as I prefer the 777 seats anyway).
trooper, TPACjv and FEasy like this.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by B7474U3
Personally if you are tall or big I think the 777 seats are better (but I’m biased as I prefer the 777 seats anyway).
That's interesting. Aside from the width/leg/foot room, what else do you prefer about the 777 seats?
Old Jul 23, 2023, 1:09 pm

That's interesting. Aside from the width/leg/foot room, what else do you prefer about the 777 seats?
It is primarily the width, length, they feel more open and spacious, the seats face forwards and you don’t have to put your feet in a small cubby hole.

I sleep on my side and I’ve flown this configuration on a number of airlines as well as Turkish (Latam, Air India, Air China) and I’ve consistently found that I sleep much better with this configuration.

That said, the seats are getting quite old now so they are not as new a shiny as the 787/350 and the PTV is higher definition on the 787/350. There is also more storage space for small items (phone / glasses…etc) on the 787/350. The 787/350 seats also feel more private - although that’s not an important factor for me.
FEasy likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Old school 777s are by far the best for tall people.

(unless you like contorting yourself into a coffin)
IAN-UK, TPACjv and FEasy like this.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 1:55 pm

Programs: AC UA TK FI DL
https://www.headforpoints.com/2023/0...-boeing-787-9/

In fact, the biggest issue I have with the seat is not the foot cubby hole, which these days is pretty standard, but the overall length of the seat. I popped it into bed mode to give it a go. At 6’2″ (188cm) found I was touching the bottom with my feet and the top with my head when fully stretched out.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 7:40 pm
TPJ

https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...business-class

The days of great sleep on B777's will be over one day. The 'these seats are outdated and not easily Instagramable (and who cares about proper sleep)' bloggers won again? (Unless these are APEX suites - then everyone really wins...)
iamaho likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 7:38 am

Programs: TK EP, AF Platinum for life, something in Oneworld not worth to mention...
Originally Posted by iamaho
https://www.headforpoints.com/2023/0...-boeing-787-9/

In fact, the biggest issue I have with the seat is not the foot cubby hole, which these days is pretty standard, but the overall length of the seat. I popped it into bed mode to give it a go. At 6’2″ (188cm) found I was touching the bottom with my feet and the top with my head when fully stretched out.
And the seats are narrow for the shoulders and very hard for 350/787. Very disappointing seats in general... 777 are far more comfortable in my view, even if no privacy.
FEasy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.