Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

UA Business Award on TK Metal Baggage Chargege

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Business Award on TK Metal Baggage Chargege

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2022, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Unhappy UA Business Award on TK Metal Baggage Chargege

Hello,
I have 2 United business award tickets that at first had zero baggage fees for 2 pieces up to 70 lbs, from IST to PHX via IAH on Turkish metal, than United.

BUT Turkish Air changed the flight by 6 hours and lost a leg, so I had to have UNITED rebook the route, the first leg is still Turkish metal IST to MUC, then the other two flights are United business.

The problem lies that I didn't realise when on the phone with the agent the baggage fees displayed $205 USD PER BAG! Not even one free checked bag, I have never had this happen before! I talked to United and they said to check with Turkish Airlines, it's their baggage fees. How can I be in business and pay $205 for one bag?

Any advice? I don't want to have to pay $410 bucks for my partners and I luggage.

Thank you!
Old Nov 24, 2022, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
This is a known issue and was discussed multiple times in other threads both here in the TK forum or the UA forum.
The issue is that the United system and the Turkish Airlines systems do not coordinate well since they are using different GDS providers and the issue occurs on all TK flights issued on 016- stock if the check-in carrier is Turkish Airlines.

Turkish Airlines check-in agents ( which are all outsourced ) can't waive the fees on their end and would tell that United issued the ticket without baggage since that is what they see on their end.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Correct, I have read everything I could on this, but I was hoping someone had a solution at this point or a proper place to email to get a solution.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by Helios99
Correct, I have read everything I could on this, but I was hoping someone had a solution at this point or a proper place to email to get a solution.
The only way to resolve this is to contact United. Somehow you need to get them to manually add the bags into your reservation. UA issued you the tickets and if they promised that you have free checked bag they are responsible to provide them for free.

Talking to TK won't work as they didn't sell you the ticket and from their screen your reservation has 0 bag.
craigthemif likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.