Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied boarding Involuntarily

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2022, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Denied boarding Involuntarily

Flight was over booked. IST to SFO Had two confirmations, one under my name and another under my wife's and three kids. Currently awaiting TK to rebook us for tomorrow along with hotel accommodations/transportation

Does anyone know if they will give us two rooms? Also how long will it take TK to rebook us?
I have ice packed medicine in a checked bag and TK said they we can pick it at the belt. Hopefully that's the case.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
How much did TK offer you (and your wife + children) to get bumped from the flight?

If you have time, it is not a bad solution.

If you ask for your bags, they will eventually appear at the luggage belts. It may take some time though.

As for rooms, I would expect TK to be flexsible so the parents don't need to stay with 3 kinds in 1 room. Just talk to/explain it to the staff assigning the hotel, presumably at the TK hotel desk in the arrivals hall (after immigration and customs etc.)
Old Aug 7, 2022, 9:44 am
Original Poster

They paid 600 Euros for a total of 3,000 for the five of. We're having a hard time finding the office where we can cash them out.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't bother with this now. You can do it later at your local ticket office.

Sounds like a terrific deal; a nice contribution to your summer holiday budget.
36902BRF and z4017 like this.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 10:03 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by MSerforfun
They paid 600 Euros for a total of 3,000 for the five of. We're having a hard time finding the office where we can cash them out.
That kind of sounds a bit low for a long haul flight since IDB is usually more than 600EUR per pax.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
That kind of sounds a bit low for a long haul flight since IDB is usually more than 600EUR per pax.
For European carriers, no it is not. Why should they offer more for VDB than they are obliged to pay for IDB?
Old Aug 9, 2022, 9:21 am
Original Poster

I attempted to cash out the vouchers from a dedicated office they had near the check in counter called "Denied Boarding" but they apparently ran out of cash. They had a hotel booking office near the baggage claim area which booked us at a Sundance hotel. Upon booking us, they asked us along with 30 others to follow them to a bus where each of us apparently was getting dropped off at various hotels. I decided to take a cab independently to the hotel which was really bad (have pictures). They claimed it's five star but that's a scam. I didn't have time to rebook another upon arriving. The process took 12 hour from time of arriving at the airport all the way to the hotel including reclaiming my baggage since I had medication in them.

The $600 offer should have been announced BEFORE people checked in as opposed to making the offer at the gate. Many were reluctant to take the offer because they were concerned about their baggage. Upon arriving the second day, they had the same number of people being denied boarding so it's a never ending roll forward process. Someone took my seat yesterday and I took someone's seat today and the person who lost his seat today will take someone else's seat tomorrow.

Yes, they're paying $3,000 but the tickets were around $12,000. I initially paid for assigned seating as well but when they rebooked us, one of us had to sit separately. In my opinion, Turkish Airlines is a third world airline in disguise as a European wanna be airline.

Does anyone know how to cash out the funds from San Francisco?
Old Aug 10, 2022, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds like it was the TK hotel desk that booked the hotel for you (in the arrivals hall; to the far right when you exit from getting your bags and clearing customs) and the other pax on the bus were pax heading for their transit hotels.

VDB offers are usually not made already at check-in (unless it is very clear that the flight is overbooked and volunteers will be needed). VDB is handled at the gate when it is clear how many pax checked in for the flight, made their connections at IST etc, i.e. it is clear how many seats are actually needed for VDB.

Contact the local TK office in SFO about the vouchers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.