Community
Wiki Posts
Search

THY : They Hate You

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2022, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Angry THY : They Hate You

THY changed the time of my JFK - IST flight by a whopping 20 minutes. Now I can't manage my flight either on the App or the Website and it gives me two options to either change my flights or Cancel. No option at all to accept the new times so I can move on with my life.
Since it was a third party booking they wont let me change my flights either. I contacted the Travel Agency and they asked Turkish yesterday to do the necessary deed and Turkish has not done anything yet. Now I will loose my seat selection I guess.
I called Turkish CS this morning and I got a message saying due to high call volumes I can not be connected to a Rep.
Any Ideas?
hugolover likes this.
Old May 27, 2022, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
First, TK has no fault here and the title is unfair in this case.

You have booked through a third-party and a schedule change over 15 minutes is considered as an involuntary change according to Turkish law which gives you the right to cancel or reschedule your flights without any penalty. In this case, TK can't auto-accept the change behalf of you and in this case, they would break the law. TK has nothing to do here and the third party that you have booked must confirm the changes on their end which should be a really simple process.

If the travel agency has contacted the travel support department of Turkish Airlines and still no change is made, that's another scenario but a TA should easily be able to confirm the schedule changes with maximum 5 commands.
Old May 27, 2022, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer

You have booked through a third-party and a schedule change over 15 minutes is considered as an involuntary change according to Turkish law which gives you the right to cancel or reschedule your flights without any penalty. In this case, TK can't auto-accept the change behalf of you and in this case, they would break the law. TK has nothing to do here and the third party that you have booked must confirm the changes on their end which should be a really simple process.

If the travel agency has contacted the travel support department of Turkish Airlines and still no change is made, that's another scenario but a TA should easily be able to confirm the schedule changes with maximum 5 commands.
Its just a little under 24 hours since the Travel Agency contacted THY to make the change and get new Tickets issued. I don't understand why THY is taking such a long time for something so simple or maybe I am wrong and it is complicated.
Old May 27, 2022, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Maybe you can shed some light on this. I am taking the 1.30 PM flight out of JFK. This flight is no longer available for booking on any third party site (I check a couple) but still shows up on the THY site for more then double of what I initially paid.
Old May 28, 2022, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by hartfordsam
Maybe you can shed some light on this. I am taking the 1.30 PM flight out of JFK. This flight is no longer available for booking on any third party site (I check a couple) but still shows up on the THY site for more then double of what I initially paid.
If the flight you originally booked is available for sale, the agency should not have any reason not to automatically confirm the changes.
I am not sure when are you flying but TK 3/4 the morning rotation to/from JFK is still operating until the end of schedule.
Old May 28, 2022, 9:53 am
Original Poster

If the flight you originally booked is available for sale, the agency should not have any reason not to automatically confirm the changes.
I am not sure when are you flying but TK 3/4 the morning rotation to/from JFK is still operating until the end of schedule.
Thanks. My outbound is Nov 6 th. The Agency is telling me they have confirmed the new flight time but I am still unable to manage my reservation. I called THY this morning and they are telling me the agency is yet to confirm. I don't know who or what to believe anymore. I am going to wait another day and ask for a refund.
Old May 28, 2022, 10:38 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Leeson learned: do not book with 3rd parties. It always turns into problems when there are changes.

If your flight is in November, then sit back and relax. Six more months to go. If your travel agency is a decent one, there is plenty of time for them to take care of it.
craigthemif, YLWflyer and nacho like this.
Old May 28, 2022, 10:51 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by ffay005
Leeson learned: do not book with 3rd parties. It always turns into problems when there are changes.
Absolutely WRONG. I don't even know how many times my Corporate travel agency saved my trips by going above and beyond with finding alternatives and exchanging the tickets. I recall once during LH pilot strike I already reached my destination (LHR) while my work colleague - who purchased via lh.com - still queued up to have his ticket changed. Travel agency should not wait for TK to action the GDS booking changes, they should go ahead and just change it in accordance with TK commercial policy.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old May 28, 2022, 11:37 am
Original Poster

If your flight is in November, then sit back and relax. Six more months to go. If your travel agency is a decent one, there is plenty of time for them to take care of it.
Actually This Travel Agency has been very good and they were $200 cheaper then Expedia or the THY website. . When I changed my outbound flight they had it done in a few hours. I am not sure what the problem is here. Unfortunately sit back and relax wont work as the flight prices have been going up since I booked and if this cant be fixed I can still get Finair at a reasonable price
Old May 30, 2022, 6:43 am

travel agents still exist???
john11111111111 likes this.
Old May 30, 2022, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hartfordsam
Actually This Travel Agency has been very good and they were $200 cheaper then Expedia or the THY website. . When I changed my outbound flight they had it done in a few hours. I am not sure what the problem is here. Unfortunately sit back and relax wont work as the flight prices have been going up since I booked and if this cant be fixed I can still get Finair at a reasonable price
An involuntary situation would not cause any fare difference thus the current fares being higher than the time you bought your ticket, would have no impact on this situation unless you decide to cancel your ticket for your personal mind comfort and buy a new set of tickets. If there is a schedule change, your agency should confirm the changes and this would have no cost to them, neither to you.

I would agree with TPJ that there are many knowledgable decent TA's around but the majority of them at this time are cheap online websites that have negotiated fares which offer bad customer service and charge hefty admin fees when a customer is trying to do something voluntarily.
ffay005 likes this.
Old May 30, 2022, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

An involuntary situation would not cause any fare difference thus the current fares being higher than the time you bought your ticket, would have no impact on this situation unless you decide to cancel your ticket for your personal mind comfort and buy a new set of tickets. If there is a schedule change, your agency should confirm the changes and this would have no cost to them, neither to you.

I would agree with TPJ that there are many knowledgable decent TA's around but the majority of them at this time are cheap online websites that have negotiated fares which offer bad customer service and charge hefty admin fees when a customer is trying to do something voluntarily.
I had used Trip.com. They kept changing their story and I ended up opening a dispute with my credit card company to get my money back. I ended up booking Finnair.
Old May 31, 2022, 7:45 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
This is a good advice, why immediately acknowledge the changes if you can do it in a few months and benefit from the option of free flight change or cancellation?
In addition, your seat reservation is kept (as long there’s no a/c change). I can remember a number of times I took a flight without acknowledging the time change.
cheltzel likes this.
Old May 31, 2022, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by TPJ
Absolutely WRONG. I don't even know how many times my Corporate travel agency saved my trips by going above and beyond with finding alternatives and exchanging the tickets. I recall once during LH pilot strike I already reached my destination (LHR) while my work colleague - who purchased via lh.com - still queued up to have his ticket changed. Travel agency should not wait for TK to action the GDS booking changes, they should go ahead and just change it in accordance with TK commercial policy.
Yeah but it's corporate travel agency so they might have a different arrangement than those selling to private individuals.

I had 2 crappy experiences with OTA for 2 trips I booked and cancelled due to Covid. One didn't refund and the other one took a hefty fee for cancelling the tickets. I had to go to Swedish consumer agency to get my $ back. A lot of OTAs are providing minimal services, I looked at some cheaper tickets but then they said if you call them it will cost you DKK 30 per call, if you want them to do anything it will cost this and that. Yeah I might save DKK500 per ticket but if they charge me to change my flight (as you know OTA can charge whatever they like as they know you can't go to the airline), I can easily pay more than DKK 500 for all the this and that services.

Lesson learned - no more OTA, always go through the airline (until things are 110% normal again).
ffay005 likes this.
Old May 31, 2022, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So the issue is with Trip.com and as I mentioned in my first post in this thread ( post #2 ) Turkish Airlines has no fault here and the title is misleading.
I am not sure of Trip.com's business strategy but it looks like they purchase bulk fares offer cheaper fares than the TK website, but they don't care about customer service or they have untrained agents who act as robots.
nacho likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.