Wiki Posts
Search

Where to stay during long layover

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2022, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors:Gold,Marriot:Silver,United:Gold, Delta:Gold
Where to stay during long layover

I have a trip of ORD-IST-MUC with a 19hr layover. (~1600-11:30 for the layover) Should I stay in the city, at an airport (outside) hotel or Kiloy beach for my layover?
Old Apr 29, 2022, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by monksy
I have a trip of ORD-IST-MUC with a 19hr layover. (~1600-11:30 for the layover) Should I stay in the city, at an airport (outside) hotel or Kiloy beach for my layover?
I would suggest you to stay at the city. If you prefer to use public transportation to/from the airport, I would suggest you to consider options near public transportation hubs that have direct bus service to the airport.

The hotels near the airport are either apartment hotels that are located in center of Arnavutköy, which is a local neighborhood that has no attraction for a visitor, or if you are speaking of the Park Inn by Odayeri, that is also in middle of nowhere.

There is literally nothing near the Kilyos area except for beaches and overpriced beach clubs + restaurants and there are not that much lodging options for a tourist over there.
B747-437B and Hafnia like this.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK

CITY !!!!
Old May 6, 2022, 7:12 pm

Programs: None
I have a nearly 19h layover (5:55 am-1:20 am next day) for my upcoming trip (ORD-IST-DAC) in late May. I plan to take a HAVAIST bus to Taksim in the morning, and then spend some time walking around Taksim and nearby places, including having a decent lunch there. Since I’ll likely be tired from my overnight flight from ORD, I reserved a hotel in Taksim area for one night ($50) for rest or quick naps before I head back to IST using HAVAIST bus again at around 9:00 pm.
Old May 7, 2022, 12:04 pm

Really depends on what you want to do for the 19 hours, if you want to actually have some great food and lounge around then city. If your only planning on sleeping and possible hotel amenaties, i would say look whats easier to get to. Personally I would take city. Easy to grab a hotel in Sisli or somehwere on Europe side.
Old May 7, 2022, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by rahman99000
I have a nearly 19h layover (5:55 am-1:20 am next day) for my upcoming trip (ORD-IST-DAC) in late May. I plan to take a HAVAIST bus to Taksim in the morning, and then spend some time walking around Taksim and nearby places, including having a decent lunch there. Since I’ll likely be tired from my overnight flight from ORD, I reserved a hotel in Taksim area for one night ($50) for rest or quick naps before I head back to IST using HAVAIST bus again at around 9:00 pm.
Also I would suggest to ensure that the hotel is aware that you're going to check-in at the morning and checking-out in the evening.
Old May 7, 2022, 10:19 pm

Programs: None
ISTFlyer: I likely won’t check in before 2:00 pm, which is hotel’s official check-in time. I thought, I’d just simply check out at 9:00 pm and tell them right then. Nonetheless, I’ll let them know now that I plan to check out at that time. Thanks.
Old May 7, 2022, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rahman99000
ISTFlyer: I likely won’t check in before 2:00 pm, which is hotel’s official check-in time. I thought, I’d just simply check out at 9:00 pm and tell them right then. Nonetheless, I’ll let them know now that I plan to check out at that time. Thanks.
Then OK, I wanted to make sure that you wouldn't get surprised when the hotel wouldn't check you in at the morning.
Old May 10, 2022, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I'm considering a similar plan but will be arriving mid-morning. I take it 11am early checkin will not be feasible?
Old May 10, 2022, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
I'm considering a similar plan but will be arriving mid-morning. I take it 11am early checkin will not be feasible?
Would depend on the hotel you're going to stay.
If you have status with a major hotel chain, consider staying at one of their properties to increase the odds that you would receive early check-in.
Old May 11, 2022, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Would depend on the hotel you're going to stay.
If you have status with a major hotel chain, consider staying at one of their properties to increase the odds that you would receive early check-in.
Thanks. Haven't really researched this yet but I have status at Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton and IC. I think location is probably the most critical factor as I only have a day and don't want to waste time getting to and from a location that is not central.
Old May 11, 2022, 12:36 am

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
is that a shortest layover possible for your flight? if it is, Turkish airlines offers free layover hotels if your layover time is the shortest possible when you selected your flights
Old May 11, 2022, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
For IST-MUC I would say that 19h can hardly be the shortest possible layover.
Old May 17, 2022, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors:Gold,Marriot:Silver,United:Gold, Delta:Gold
It's not the shortest layover. It's a more convient one. This is during Oktoberfest so the hotel cost in MUC is a lot more than it would be in Instanbul. I'm trying to time my arrival to be able to attend the taping of the first keg.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.