Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Change award ticket with expiring miles now possible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2022, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK*G

I bought an award ticket at the end of December because I had miles expiring. Now I need to change that flight. I have tried to change the reservation and this is what I see (new dates showed). Is it possible to do everything online? I thought it was not possible. I didn't continue because I don't know exactly when I can fly and if it's possible. Does anyone know?

Last edited by Maux; Apr 4, 2022 at 7:14 am
Old Apr 4, 2022, 1:08 pm

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
It’s possible to change online. If it doesn’t go through, give the call center a call.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
If you used the 30% off promotion - which may of us did back in Dec - your award will be recalculated and you will have to pay add. miles and taxes. The reason is that you are applying for voluntary rebooking.

If it was me I would wait for cancellation or schedule change of 1 of your flights which will give you much more leeway to rebook without add. collection of miles/taxes. This is called invol. rebooking and very different from when you initiate the rebooking.

And most likely you will not be able accomplish the rebooking online - just call the TK service center or contact your local ticket office for assistance.
craigthemif likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 3:28 am
Original Poster

I didn't use the 30% promotion, so I think I can change the 2 flights (JFK-IST and IST-BLQ) for $ 25 each.
I don't need to change it now, I can also change it 2 days earlier. I just wanted to know if it was possible to do it because I always understood that it was not possible, especially with the expiring miles.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Maux
I didn't use the 30% promotion, so I think I can change the 2 flights (JFK-IST and IST-BLQ) for $ 25 each.
I don't need to change it now, I can also change it 2 days earlier. I just wanted to know if it was possible to do it because I always understood that it was not possible, especially with the expiring miles.
Unless you request a refund, you would be able to change your award ticket within validity even if it was issued with "currently" expired miles.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 1:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Unless you request a refund, you would be able to change your award ticket within validity even if it was issued with "currently" expired miles.
Great news. One question: i have JFK-IST on August, 7th and IST-BLQ on 8th. If i want to change both (they are on the same ticket, of course), i have seen that I have to modify one at a time. If I want to change JFK-IST for September 5th, could there be problems with the IST-BLQ flight that would remain for a few minutes (until I change it) on August 8th (the second flight is now before the first)?
Should I change IST-BLQ on September 6th first and then the JFK-IST on September 5th?
Old Apr 6, 2022, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Great news. One question: i have JFK-IST on August, 7th and IST-BLQ on 8th. If i want to change both (they are on the same ticket, of course), i have seen that I have to modify one at a time. If I want to change JFK-IST for September 5th, could there be problems with the IST-BLQ flight that would remain for a few minutes (until I change it) on August 8th (the second flight is now before the first)?
Should I change IST-BLQ on September 6th first and then the JFK-IST on September 5th?
If the system is truly forcing you to change flights one at a time, it will go wrong.

TK doesn't allow free stopovers in IST on award tickets. So, you should be charged for a separate IST-BLQ if you don't move them simultaneously.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 2:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
If the system is truly forcing you to change flights one at a time, it will go wrong.

TK doesn't allow free stopovers in IST on award tickets. So, you should be charged for a separate IST-BLQ if you don't move them simultaneously.
Charged in which way?

EDIT: Ok, i understand now. I should have to pay as the IST-BLQ should be a new award flight

Last edited by Maux; Apr 6, 2022 at 2:41 am
Old Apr 6, 2022, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
You should call TK to get rebooked. Doing it online is bound to fail; your Q shows this.

Yes, IST-BLQ will be charged as an add. /separate award, so most likely not something your are interested in.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 1:01 am

As far as I've seen, TK doesn't charge the USD 25 fee for changing award flights. Don't know if this is because of their policy of free change of light until 31 May (for regular tickets). If it's like this then that would probably only be valid until 31 May.

For me very strange - as already mentioned here:TK Award Ticket: Change of date (validity of ticket) - in the online booking process it is possible for me to select an alternative date in February 2023 with an award ticket that I bought with expiring miles on 31 December 2021 (with flying date 20 December 2022). In the rebooking process I can go on until the last step where I have to enter the payment data. It doesn't say that miles will be charged (it's the same route), which is quite interesting since I tought that normally ticket validity is 1 year... So the question is: Does TK this not show correctly on their website (i.e. 13000 miles would get lost and I would have to spend another 13000 miles) or is is really possible (maybe as a benefit because of Covid-19)?
Old Apr 21, 2022, 3:39 am
Original Poster

Today it has changed again.
If I change only my JFK-IST flight to the previous day, I get this screen. I'm afraid to go on.
No 16500 miles requested, no 25$ but only 5.

EDIT: 2 days before the system gives me always 16500 + 25 $. Ok, i understand that it's because there is a more than 24 hours stop in Istanbul.
So the question is: if i change for 5$ the first flight, will i be able to change for 5$ also the second? Or can i change it only once?

​​​​​​​

Last edited by Maux; Apr 21, 2022 at 3:52 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.