Community
Wiki Posts
Search

book passenger on award ticket?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2023, 10:59 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
So I guess this issue booking a TK award flight for more than 1 person, e.g. 2 in my case, still persists? Any more recent experiences or known workarounds?

If I understood this and other discussion on the topic then one should be able to check availability for multiple pax (e.g. are there 2 promotional / saver award seats even available) via the app before erroring out at the booking stage. Website will only let one search for one person, especially if I have never redeemed for any flights via M&S.

EDIT: This seems to work on the app as others reported already, installed it, signed in and tried it out and it pulls availability for 2 (even the unicorn saver / promotion).

Then when one has confirmed the availability for multiple pax online at least, it is then either to call TK or head over to the local ticket office (we got one here in Singapore that is open a whopping 3 days a week ) and then play the "agent roulette" and pray that they see the same availability one did see online and can book it and issue the tickets. Else, if one is calling, HUACA till one succeeds or gives up.

Does that sound about right?

Ohh, would booking a ticket for myself first and then making a separate booking for my companion only (added in my M&S profile already) be an option that works? Meaning two separate PNRs & e-tickets of course (all assuming availability wouldn't vanish after taking the first seat).

In the end, I don't mind a trip to the TK office especially if they do credit card verifications and validate passport or such sometimes which I then may be able to accomplish in one trip if lucky.

Thank you for sharing any experiences / tips.

Last edited by demue; Aug 21, 2023 at 12:17 am
Old Aug 22, 2023, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by demue
Ohh, would booking a ticket for myself first and then making a separate booking for my companion only (added in my M&S profile already) be an option that works? Meaning two separate PNRs & e-tickets of course (all assuming availability wouldn't vanish after taking the first seat).

In the end, I don't mind a trip to the TK office especially if they do credit card verifications and validate passport or such sometimes which I then may be able to accomplish in one trip if lucky.
I've tried booking for myself first and then a separate one and it unfortunately doesn't work. You will get an error that states you need to call to use your points for someone else.

I would recommend going the call center route instead of the office. The agents are sometimes hit or miss but they always seem to see the same availability as I do online.

If you really aren't getting anywhere you can file a feedback form on Turkish website. This flags an issue to customer service instead of the call center. Instead of waiting for a response after you file the form tell the call center you would like to be transfered and you have a customer service reference number. They will transfer you to Turkish Airlines employees vs an outsourced call center and usually they are more helpful.
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 10:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
TK website says the first award must be only for account holder if booking via website (call in for more). I have now flown, along with my family, on an award booked via phone and still cannot book online for self plus family member. So yes it does seem that no one can book more than self ticket on TK without calling or going in. Does not give one much confidence in the airline.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AY Gold, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Diamond
While I'm not trying to book more than 1 pax as others before have described, I was attempting to book a star alliance award (non-TK metal) award for myself from within my Mom's
TK account (I have her permission obviously, and all the log in info)
TK site and the app say something like "star award ticket process not possible for non-member"
But, is this at all true?! When issuing a star award the passenger on the award ticket MUST be the member? Or is this more nonsense, and the call center can do it over the phone?
Old Nov 21, 2023, 6:23 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue, AsiaMiles, Miles&Smiles, United, JetBlue, British Air, Iberia, Qatar, AA, Kris Flyer
I've been having the same problem about booking my first award trip with TK for myself and my husband. I called and spoke to an agent who put those tickets on hold for me so I could transfer the points. But he told me if I had the call center complete the booking the miles charged wouldn't be the 45,000 points and $285 each but 60,00 points and $350. He said that there is a penalty for booking via the call center and not online. But I explained I could not complete the purchase online because it would not let me book my husband's ticket. I was told that there was nothing he could do. I can't book the tickets online but if I book with an agent I would pay more, which doesn't make any sense. I called back again the next day and was told the same thing. What should I do? I've read through these posts and some people seem to have had success with the call center, but so far, I haven't.
Old Nov 21, 2023, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AY Gold, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by BklynProf
I've been having the same problem about booking my first award trip with TK for myself and my husband. I called and spoke to an agent who put those tickets on hold for me so I could transfer the points. But he told me if I had the call center complete the booking the miles charged wouldn't be the 45,000 points and $285 each but 60,00 points and $350. He said that there is a penalty for booking via the call center and not online. But I explained I could not complete the purchase online because it would not let me book my husband's ticket. I was told that there was nothing he could do. I can't book the tickets online but if I book with an agent I would pay more, which doesn't make any sense. I called back again the next day and was told the same thing. What should I do? I've read through these posts and some people seem to have had success with the call center, but so far, I haven't.

This is just such nonsense from some agents. You almost have to admire their creativity in making up bizarre reasonings LOL

Answer : HUCA ("hang up, call again"). If you've tried twice so far, I'd recommend trying at least 1-2 more times. It can be frustrating, but it's worth it at the end.

One note though: If you start the call with the agent by giving them your PNR (record locator / booking code) which the first agent put on hold for you - it's possible you're going to face the same answer from agents because that first agent probably saved it in such a way and/or put notes in it saying something like "60K miles + $350 to be taken". Once a new agent you talk to sees that, it's been my experience they will almost never go against it and will just say "it is what it is". I might start the call with the agent asking to create a "new" booking, giving them the flight/s in question and having them price out the whole thing (this is assuming award availability still exists on the flight/s in question)
Old Nov 21, 2023, 7:07 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue, AsiaMiles, Miles&Smiles, United, JetBlue, British Air, Iberia, Qatar, AA, Kris Flyer
When I called the second time I gave the agent the booking code so next time I'll try your suggestion. Thanks!
Old Nov 21, 2023, 11:35 pm

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Call center revenue ticket prices are a bit more expensive when bought online. About ~$15. I don’t think I was ever quoted a higher priced surcharge for award ticket.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 6:01 am
Original Poster

honestly i love TK product but HATE their IT and online. I go out of my way to avoid this at this point because they're such a pain to deal with. Sucks because i love flying with them
Old Nov 22, 2023, 8:04 am

I tried again this morning, twice! Each time same result. Do they do this on purpose so that people won't redeem flights? I feel like Alice in Wonderland. The agents claim that they cannot do anything and that there is no other alternative. I feel like just giving up and going another route. I'll try the suggestion about filing a feedback form and report back about if I have more success with that strategy.

BTW, we're trying to book flights to Paris via Istanbul with a stopover in Istanbul. When using the search tool for award space on the website there is no option for a stopover, but I've read that you can do a stopover on an award flight. Anyone done that successfully without going through the Call Center?
Old Nov 22, 2023, 12:16 pm

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by BklynProf

BTW, we're trying to book flights to Paris via Istanbul with a stopover in Istanbul. When using the search tool for award space on the website there is no option for a stopover, but I've read that you can do a stopover on an award flight. Anyone done that successfully without going through the Call Center?
You cannot. Either call the call center or contact your local TK office.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
With a IST stopover it sounds more like you are being quoted the price of the 2 legs separately. Are you prepared to book without the stopover in IST then that might be easier to achieve.
Old Nov 23, 2023, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
With a IST stopover it sounds more like you are being quoted the price of the 2 legs separately. Are you prepared to book without the stopover in IST then that might be easier to achieve.
That is exactly what happened. I didn't realize that stopovers are only allowed on round trip award flights and these are only for one way. I checked prices for flights from IST to CDG and decided to just go ahead and book those tickets, since the total for award travel booked separately for the two legs added up to the same amount. 60,000 points for business class travel from JFK to IST then five days later to CDG isn't bad, given the other alternatives for our dates. Thanks for all of the replies! But I agree with all of the opinions that Turkish IT and customer services is terrible. Hopefully the flight experience is better, or at least the food is
Old Nov 23, 2023, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
OK. Stopover on o/w awards has never been allowed (with TK M&S and all other FFP that I know of).
Old Nov 23, 2023, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SK AAR
OK. Stopover on o/w awards has never been allowed (with TK M&S and all other FFP that I know of).
Alaska allow them and Aeroplan does with a small point surcharge. There may be others, although it is rare because it is so travel hackable...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.