Community
Wiki Posts
Search

book passenger on award ticket?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2022, 10:40 am

anyone have an update on this?

does the call center have different ticket availability then the website?

i see 9 seats on expert flyer but the call center doesn't see any
Old Aug 4, 2022, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by KL808
I flew one of these tickets that was 30% off last month (roundtrip March 30 - April 5), but when I log in on my account to book another ticket today, It still gives me the error the OP posted on reply 4

What gives?
I've flown Turkish Airlines at least 6 times now with the same issue and it has never been resolved. Each time I need to book via the call center which is a pain. I've even tried filing feedback tickets and speaking to customer service but they don't even understand the issue I am having no matter how many times I describe it.

Some people say use the app instead but the only thing the app allows you to do is search for more than 1 ticket. When you try to book it gives you the same error and tells you to call instead.

If anyone finds a resolution it would be so helpful but I've resorted to just using the call center everytime.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Turkish airlines has terrible IT and terrible customer service. thats a terrible combo. Needed to book an award ticket for my dad using my miles. With any other airline this is a simple 5 minute procedure that can be done online. Not with turkish. Call the call center and first rep cant see any award availability. hang up and call a few years later. This guy can see it, but after 15 mins on hold he tells me their system isn't accepted payments. So he gives me a reference number and tells me to call back within 24 hrs and i can pay with the fare locked in (30k miles business class from IST to LHR). call back 12 hours later, give the reference number and the rep says she can see the fare but that the price changed to 60k miles. Interestingly i can still see the fare at 30k miles online. she tells me the website is wrong. At that point i tell her to simply do a new search and she says "at this point i no longer see any point in our conversation" and hangs up. I coulda killed somebody. Ended up simply calling again a day later and at this point the guy saw everything and we proceeded to book with no issues. So what should have taken 5 mins took two days and hours wasted. What terrible customer service
Old Aug 4, 2022, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by omaralt
Turkish airlines has terrible IT and terrible customer service. thats a terrible combo. Needed to book an award ticket for my dad using my miles. With any other airline this is a simple 5 minute procedure that can be done online. Not with turkish. Call the call center and first rep cant see any award availability. hang up and call a few years later. This guy can see it, but after 15 mins on hold he tells me their system isn't accepted payments. So he gives me a reference number and tells me to call back within 24 hrs and i can pay with the fare locked in (30k miles business class from IST to LHR). call back 12 hours later, give the reference number and the rep says she can see the fare but that the price changed to 60k miles. Interestingly i can still see the fare at 30k miles online. she tells me the website is wrong. At that point i tell her to simply do a new search and she says "at this point i no longer see any point in our conversation" and hangs up. I coulda killed somebody. Ended up simply calling again a day later and at this point the guy saw everything and we proceeded to book with no issues. So what should have taken 5 mins took two days and hours wasted. What terrible customer service
It's almost comically frustrating to deal with them and I've had similar experiences. Some of the worst have been when I actually get a supposedly helpful agent they hang up mid way and then I'm back to square one. A strategy I've used is filing a feedback form right before I call and then when I reach the call center I tell them I want to talk to customer service right away and mention my number. The customer service has almost always been more helpful then the call center so give that a shot next time. Still at the end of the day their service reps are beyond terrible and it takes attempting to find the few decent ones to get anything done.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TravelSeason
It's almost comically frustrating to deal with them and I've had similar experiences. Some of the worst have been when I actually get a supposedly helpful agent they hang up mid way and then I'm back to square one. A strategy I've used is filing a feedback form right before I call and then when I reach the call center I tell them I want to talk to customer service right away and mention my number. The customer service has almost always been more helpful then the call center so give that a shot next time. Still at the end of the day their service reps are beyond terrible and it takes attempting to find the few decent ones to get anything done.
i'm at the point now that i no longer recommend TK anymore and will try to fly other airlines. I go to turkey a few times a year and i usually go from my home city to JFK and then to IST. However my preference now is home city- FRA to IST. still one stop but LH has much better customer service
Old Apr 30, 2023, 1:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I thought I'd provide my experience for others trying to book awards. I had zero points to start, had never booked or flown an award or paid TK flight, and I wanted to see what was available for a TK-only nonstop flight award before transferring points over from Cap One. Here's how it went down:

1. Website says "must book first award for self" (or similar) when I try to search for more than one. Dead end.
2. Phone app allows me to get all the way to payment screen with 5 pax but, bc I have zero points, says not enough points to continue. But I can see that the tix are available for 5.
3. Transfer CapOne points over. They hit instantly, despite screen saying could be 24 hours. (I signed out and back in on TK.)
4. Go back and try the app again. I get past the "not enough points to continue" screen, but am then told again that I must book first award for self.
5. Didn't want to risk anything, so I called 800-874-8875 and agent was able to book all 5 awards.

The 45-minute call with the agent was a bit tedious as I had to spell every name (despite each person being in my TK account as a family member/travel companion--something agent couldn't see evidently). I was also fairly concerned about these tickets getting issued correctly bc I think both agent and I had difficulty with each other's accents. On my own TK account, I can see two PNRs (not sure why two...maybe mine is the first one and others second?) now but no names with those PNRs. If I click on manage booking, same thing. I can only see name and date and flight # if I enter the ticket number itself. Ask for ticket number when still on phone so you can confirm if you want to. Got individual emails for each of the tickets but they had no information about the flight, just had "an award has been issued for PAX 1" etc.
Old May 1, 2023, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Presumably you received "eticketitinerary" email from TK for each of the tickets after they were issued. If all look good in the email, you are good to go.
Old May 1, 2023, 2:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Presumably you received "eticketitinerary" email from TK for each of the tickets after they were issued. If all look good in the email, you are good to go.
Nope. Received separated emails for each pax, but they only said “Economy class award ticket has been issued for NAME deducting 50000 Miles from your account.” No “eticketitinerary.” I was able to look up each ticket with the long ticket number agent gave me though. But PNR yielded nothing and I cannot see other pax in my TK account when logged in. Should I be concerned?
Old May 1, 2023, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

hmm strange. The emails you refer to is usually issued in conjunction with award ticket is issued; but you also receive a separate email containing "ELECTRONIC AWARD TICKET PASSENGER ITINERARY" with the name, flight details, breakdown of the taxes and charges paid etc.

Most likely all 5 pax are under same PNR but have separate ticket No. You have received all 5 ticket No. and when you look up each of them the details (name) is correct? If yes, I wouldn't worry about the same info not showing up when you search/enter the PNR only; may have something to do with the number of pax. You can't see tickets for other pax under your profile in the TK website.

EDIT: I just checked my TK award on the website under "manage your booking". Under the flight details and "Contact information" you should see "Passenger preferences" with passenger name and ticket No. FFP number and also the possibility of selecting seats, special meals etc. If you don't see this section there is most likely something wrong with linking ticket No. and the reservation/flights.,

Last edited by SK AAR; May 1, 2023 at 5:07 am
Old May 1, 2023, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Turkish airlines website is one of the worst.. honestly they've lost tens of thousands of dollars only from me directly because of that. We fly business class (2 adults 4 children) at least twice a year to istanbul and their website cannot accommodate business class bookings more than 4 people?? its ridiculous. The alternative is to call and spend an hour on the phone with TK rep and pray that they process everything smoothly or simply book with a different airline; which we have. I love the onboard TK experience (i still fly with them when i'm flying alone) but have given up on them otherwise
Old May 5, 2023, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I thought I'd provide my experience for others trying to book awards. I had zero points to start, had never booked or flown an award or paid TK flight, and I wanted to see what was available for a TK-only nonstop flight award before transferring points over from Cap One. Here's how it went down:

1. Website says "must book first award for self" (or similar) when I try to search for more than one. Dead end.
2. Phone app allows me to get all the way to payment screen with 5 pax but, bc I have zero points, says not enough points to continue. But I can see that the tix are available for 5.
3. Transfer CapOne points over. They hit instantly, despite screen saying could be 24 hours. (I signed out and back in on TK.)
4. Go back and try the app again. I get past the "not enough points to continue" screen, but am then told again that I must book first award for self.
5. Didn't want to risk anything, so I called 800-874-8875 and agent was able to book all 5 awards.

The 45-minute call with the agent was a bit tedious as I had to spell every name (despite each person being in my TK account as a family member/travel companion--something agent couldn't see evidently). I was also fairly concerned about these tickets getting issued correctly bc I think both agent and I had difficulty with each other's accents. On my own TK account, I can see two PNRs (not sure why two...maybe mine is the first one and others second?) now but no names with those PNRs. If I click on manage booking, same thing. I can only see name and date and flight # if I enter the ticket number itself. Ask for ticket number when still on phone so you can confirm if you want to. Got individual emails for each of the tickets but they had no information about the flight, just had "an award has been issued for PAX 1" etc.
Just had almost exactly the same experience. It was for 2 J international awards, one-way, single-segment flight, on TK metal. Had to call 3 times. 1st agent said not possible to book for 2 people. 2nd agent couldn't see saver award availability. 3rd agent was able to book it, but went thru a long 45 min call as Stgermainparis did. Even then, my wife's birth date was wrong, but luckily I could fix it via the website. What an ordeal, but worth it to get a nonstop flight in J for only 45K mi plus fees.
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old May 6, 2023, 10:32 am

It is incredibly frustrating. And now I’m worried they got someone’s birthday wrong. But I have no way to check. When we were making the rez, the agent added an extra letter one of the pax names (for ex Tomm) and had to redo the whole thing. So now I’m worried. When I go to manage booking it wants me to enter ticket numbers. The only way I have the ticket numbers is because I asked for them and wrote them down. Nothing in email or anywhere else. After entering tix #, I get a screen where I should be able to enter pax FFP number but drop down menu is inoperable. See pics of those pages and of the only email I got (one per pax). Literally no info other than my name, pax name, and my TK# Anyone know where I can access individual pax to check DOB?
Attached Images    
Old May 6, 2023, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DOB is really immaterial. Will be corrected at check-in once the passports are swiped by the check-in agent, or when you enter the info during OLCI.
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old May 6, 2023, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Anyone know where I can access individual pax to check DOB?
When you pull up the reservation via ticket number, under "Passenger Preferences" you should see the pax name and then "Details Complete" (assuming you entered passport info) and right next to that a small "edit" - click that and you should be able to edit DOB. At least that worked for me.
Old May 6, 2023, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by mangoMan
When you pull up the reservation via ticket number, under "Passenger Preferences" you should see the pax name and then "Details Complete" (assuming you entered passport info) and right next to that a small "edit" - click that and you should be able to edit DOB. At least that worked for me.
I do not see anything called passenger preference. I did give agent all of our passport numbers. I’ll check again but everything I try is one big loop of failure. I wish she’d have let me give her their TK FFP numbers, but she didn’t want them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.