Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Covid test while connecting domestic to international in IST

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2021, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

I'm planning to fly DNZ - IST - USA in TK Business, with an 8h 20m connection in IST. I would like to get a Covid antigen test done at IST airport for my entry to the US.

1. Would I be allowed to board my flight in DNZ for IST without the Covid test required by the US? Will I be checked in all the way through to the US? At what point does TK check my Covid test results?

2. Is there a Covid testing facility at IST airside? If so, is it in the domestic or international area? Would I be able to wait for the results in the TK lounge?

3. I assume the sleeping rooms in the TK lounge are first come, first served. Is there typically a wait for them?
Old Dec 2, 2021, 2:04 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Unless things have changed recently you would only be able to check in as far as IST and that includes collecting your luggage at IST as that will not get checked through. I don't think there is any testing airside.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 8:44 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, BA Executive Club, HH Diamond, A3 Gold, ALL Gold
Would not risk it

TK may deny you boarding if you do not meet conditions for your destination. There is no test facility airside so far…
Old Dec 2, 2021, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by BRflyer
TK may deny you boarding if you do not meet conditions for your destination. There is no test facility airside so far…
Some time back I was permitted to travel to my stopover at IST where I took a test to get into my final destination. I could not check my luggage beyond IST though.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the advice. I think I will switch to an earlier flight from DNZ to IST and overnight at a hotel in IST. Then there should be no problem checking in for DNZ - IST? (The issue is I haven't found tourist-friendly test sites in Denizli.)
Old Jan 31, 2022, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DaveS
Some time back I was permitted to travel to my stopover at IST where I took a test to get into my final destination. I could not check my luggage beyond IST though.
I've booked a hotel for the overnight in IST and plan to get the test upon arrival in IST. Did the check in agent give you a hard time or just automatically check you in to IST? I'm a little nervous about not being able to board.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by SF_trotter
I've booked a hotel for the overnight in IST and plan to get the test upon arrival in IST. Did the check in agent give you a hard time or just automatically check you in to IST? I'm a little nervous about not being able to board.
It is a while ago, but there was no problem checking in as far as IST.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
TK would allow someone to travel to IST if the passenger is planning to take at IST. I haven't seen or heard negative experiences regarding this with TK but I've seen or heard multiple positive experiences which includes some of them in FlyerTalk.

So for the OP's questions:

1- You would be allowed to board your DNZ-IST flight although your bags would be short checked to IST and you wouldn't be given your IST-USA boarding pass at Denizli.
2- There is a testing facility airside but that's for passengers whose COVID tests have been expired during transfer or for those who test for purposes which are not a requirement such as some countries allowing to skip quarantine when you have a negative test but indeed that country does not mandate COVID-19 tests from everyone. So, you wouldn't be able to use that facility as US requires COVID tests from all international arrivals via air, thus you would be directed to the landside COVID-19 testing area and you would be waiting landside until you check-in for your flight to the USA.
3- It's first come first served. I can't answer anything regarding wait times but I could tell that domestic -> international transfers would not qualify for the sleeping rooms.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, DaveS and ISTFlyer .

I abandoned the idea of staying airside in IST and have booked an overnight hotel. Glad to gear I'll have no problem checking in at DNZ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.