Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Turkish Air Turkey extortion and deny boarding for transit flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Turkish Air Turkey extortion and deny boarding for transit flights

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2021, 10:34 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
One more thing to keep in mind - in these COVID days many countries are explicitly not allowing transit passengers unless they
are on a single ticket ( especially in the ASEAN area.). And some other ASEAN countries do not even permit passengers to enter
unless they are on a direct flight - no transits at all.
Yeah, this thread is so funny.

After 18 months, there are still people out there who think they can travel without a care in the world. And then this happens. Flying nowadays requires a whole lot of extra paperwork and finding out about everchanging rules.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by ffay005
After 18 months, there are still people out there who think they can travel without a care in the world. And then this happens. Flying nowadays requires a whole lot of extra paperwork and finding out about everchanging rules.
Covid changed how we travel and on my next coming trip I had to fly direct to avoid any kind of hiccup due to Covid. I don't even dare to look at the regulations until a couple of day before I travel because all rules can change with a few hours' notice.
SK AAR, ffay005, TPJ and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 7:58 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I hope the OP can update as to what really happened?
Old Nov 17, 2021, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
As far as travel disasters/blunders go, this fiasco ranks up there though, other than health related incidents.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

flyerCO, really depends where and when you are referring to. I have seen airlines in the same alliance refuse to check bags through from two tickets..................and I have seen airlines that have no affiliation with each other happily do it, and everything in between..........and that was before Covid. In any case as pointed out that is only one of the issues at play here.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hfly
flyerCO, really depends where and when you are referring to. I have seen airlines in the same alliance refuse to check bags through from two tickets..................and I have seen airlines that have no affiliation with each other happily do it, and everything in between..........and that was before Covid. In any case as pointed out that is only one of the issues at play here.
I know some don't, why didn't say all. However outside OW they're generally the minority. Most *A/ST seems to have no issue, at least for carriers within their alliance.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I know some don't, why didn't say all. However outside OW they're generally the minority. Most *A/ST seems to have no issue, at least for carriers within their alliance.
I have done *A to OW at CPH without any issue. I tried *A to *A at HAM for an itinerary like this HAM-IST-TPE-OKA-FUK, I was told that they can only tag it to OKA because of the # of legs. I think another factor would be the first port of entry rule in Japan that I need to collect my bags and go through customs at OKA, since OKA to FUK is a domestic flight.

It's totally YMMV situation, if you meet a check-in agent who is willing to do it or try it, then there's a good chance that it would work.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 4:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Turkish Airlines has suffered very lot from this in the past where some smart people were booking Turkey -> EU and EU -> South America on separate tickets and then seeking asylum in the EU so they are very strict about border requirements at this stage.
Most EU countries have already imposed transit visa requirements for certain (refugee-prone) nationalities, incl. Jemen, Afghanistan, Iraq, Nigeria, and Syria.

But yes - with the current situation in Belarus (where TK had a part in) - Turkish Airlines must be extremely vigilant when it comes to entry requirements.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by warakorn
Most EU countries have already imposed transit visa requirements for certain (refugee-prone) nationalities, incl. Jemen, Afghanistan, Iraq, Nigeria, and Syria.

But yes - with the current situation in Belarus (where TK had a part in) - Turkish Airlines must be extremely vigilant when it comes to entry requirements.
It's not only citizens from these refuge-prone nationalities. It's still very likely to see some naughty Turkish citizens attempting the same things at this stage.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 9:11 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
In Thailand as far as I know you have to fill an online form before you are allowed to board. It does not matter if you landing or transiting. So even a single through ticket may still create this issue unless the health forms and the PCR tests have been done and completed online too.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 12:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ALL Gold
I'm based in PEN and had to rebook/reschedule my SIN-IST-LHR flight to KUL-IST-LHR because of Changi's stupid transit rules (no transiting on different tickets).

Bought the original tickets for a bargain but had no choice to stump up extra for the new tickets (wasn't too expensive thankfully). Really didn't expect Changi to still be so strict after so long.

Caveat Emptor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.