Search

DFW Ground agent?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2021, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
DFW Ground agent?

Hi all

My husband just flew IAH-DFW-IST-ESB and the checked baggage never arrived. A lost luggage report was filed at ESB prior to leaving but no status is available on the bags right now.

The first leg of the journey was with UA who confirmed the bags were scanned on arrival in DFW and handed over to TK's ground agent. TK stated the bags were not recorded as having arrived into IST so our suspicion is that they're still in DFW somewhere. Monday's flight left without the bags but hoping they may be able to locate them and get them on tonight's TK192.

However with the DFW-IST route only flying a few times a week I assume it's not TK staff and instead a contracted handler for baggage. UA have attempted to contact TK at DFW without success - anyone know of which agent they use as it would be good to contact someone at DFW to see if they can assist.

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 21, 2021, 5:25 am

Had a little bit of deja vu reading this!

​​​​​My wife and I just flew DEN-DFW-IST five days ago, with a separate connecting ticket to ESB. Was able to see that the luggage was unloaded from our UA flight, but it did not arrive in IST. It was at least two days before they had a straight answer since the TK agent we were speaking to basically said that they don't have a phone number for either the Turkish office in DFW or the luggage contractor; they needed to send a message to them and wait for a response.

Yesterday, four days after our IST flight arrived, we got one of the bags but the second is still missing with no news as to if it's currently still in DFW or in IST.

Unfortunately I can't offer any advice other than that anyone connecting from a UA flight in DFW to get the gate agent to confirm that the bags have been loaded. A couple ahead of us in line when we were getting documents checked at the gate was interlining from an AA flight. They were double-checking with the agent that their bags were handled correctly. In my infinite hubris I thought to myself, "nah UA and TK are both Star Alliance, this should be fine" ("should be fine" always being famous last words, in my experience). I ran into the couple at the baggage claim in IST and they had both their bags, so guessing my checking on them may have helped.

Edit: juuuust before the five day mark got a call that the second piece of luggage was found. Will be delivered to Bolu by courier like the first bag.

Last edited by osmantrex; Oct 21, 2021 at 6:30 am
Old Oct 21, 2021, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Sounds like they might have a bit of an issue then. I didn’t ever think about asking the gate agent about transfer bags but will do from now on!

I did some digging and managed to find the email address of the DFW operations desk on the TK website and within a few mins of emailing they responded saying the bags had been located and put on last night’s flight. So they arrived in Ankara today which was a relief.

Incidentally they blamed United for “delivering the bags late” which seems odd. UA flight arrived DFW early and TK flight left gate almost an hour late so there was over 2 hours for handover which is disappointing if they can’t manage the handover in that time!
Old Oct 22, 2021, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by mattg85
Sounds like they might have a bit of an issue then. I didn’t ever think about asking the gate agent about transfer bags but will do from now on!

I did some digging and managed to find the email address of the DFW operations desk on the TK website and within a few mins of emailing they responded saying the bags had been located and put on last night’s flight. So they arrived in Ankara today which was a relief.

Incidentally they blamed United for “delivering the bags late” which seems odd. UA flight arrived DFW early and TK flight left gate almost an hour late so there was over 2 hours for handover which is disappointing if they can’t manage the handover in that time!
I don't want to blame anyone at this stage, but it could be also United's fault as they are responsible for taking bags from Terminal E to Terminal D and handing it to Turkish Airlines ground personnel.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 12:09 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Not surprised... I do not believe terminals E and D have an automated baggage transfer system. I guess UA would have to send one of its handlers to deliver this bag to D and with generic shortage of manual workers this may not be a high priority for them. AA to TK would work, though (as D is part of AA automated system).
ISTFlyer and DiamondMile like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.