Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Miami to Istanbul 2nd Flight added

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2021, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Miami to Istanbul 2nd Flight added

Looking at the schedule looks like Turkish Airlines has added a 2nd flight from Miami to Istanbul on Wed, Fri and Sun, TK 158 starting June 16th rotating a 787 & 777 on this new flight.

Must be heavy loads to warrant this 2nd flight ??
Old May 31, 2021, 1:05 am

Programs: CX Diamond (DM)
Miami is often a gateway for flights to Central and South America... just a thought
Old May 31, 2021, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cmiller11101
Miami is often a gateway for flights to Central and South America... just a thought
Yes, but TK flies to BOG and PTY, which connects much better to the Copa and Avianca networks. (*A) MIA is AA's hub for Central and South America. (Oneworld)

(plus nobody in their right mind connects in the USA for international to international)

I would guess that the demand would be from Americans trying to get into those European countries that are open to them (Turkey, Croatia, Greece, etc.) but who knows... Sometimes it's just cargo...
Old Jun 1, 2021, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA PLT the rest, Kettle Power
Looking at this exact flight right now - it's bookable but doesn't show up on EF for some reason.

Anyone know any more about it?
Old Jun 1, 2021, 5:44 pm

I actually was looking at the June 20th flight yesterday. It shows on EF and Turkish is selling seats for it, but I couldn’t find any flights before that date (the additional flights).
Old Jun 1, 2021, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Isn't it pretty normal that TK starting a 2nd daily flight to MIA.
Currently Miami is the top society destination of the Turkish wealthier population that hold an US visa ( many Turkish celebrities are in Florida at the moment ), plus as cruises would resume sailing from Miami on late-June, TK would easily find Y pax especially crew members of those cruise ships originating from the Philippines, Indonesia, etc...

Those flights would most likely be fully booked.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 4:43 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
It’s also a massive local market from Turkey, far more relevant here. Miami is by far one of the largest long-haul local markets from Istanbul.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by MAH4546
It’s also a massive local market from Turkey, far more relevant here. Miami is by far one of the largest long-haul local markets from Istanbul.
Believe me or not, the majority of the Turkish population wouldn't be able to afford a vacation in Miami.

It's the celebrities and the super wealthier Turkish who go on vacation to Miami.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 6:17 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (DM)
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Strange, I would have never guessed that.. how do you know? I'm fairly confident their busiest international route is IST-TLV, but MIA may very well rank high as well.... and if so, why???

-Chris
Old Jun 13, 2021, 6:39 pm

Programs: Jetblue, Turkish, Hilton Gold, Spirit Gold
My money is on vaccine tourism, like south American tourists flocking to Florida
Old Jun 13, 2021, 9:55 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Strange, I would have never guessed that.. how do you know? I'm fairly confident their busiest international route is IST-TLV, but MIA may very well rank high as well.... and if so, why???

-Chris
There is a large Turkish community in Miami, and Miami is just generally an incredibly popular vacation destination for Turks, especially wealthy Turks. Miami was one of the first TK long-haul destinations to restart. The local market from Turkey is in excess of 150,000 annual passengers.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IST, There is reality and perception. While the absolute amount of Turks who vacation in Miami is indeed small, considering that most seem to fly TK, and TK only that small number is still significant for this one flight. I remember once, during the time that they did NOT have a Miami flight flying Biz with a famous Turkish singer and her family with BA to LHR, and her lamenting that she "could not stand" the connection and they would sell their Miami house if TK did not restart non-stop service in the future.

That being said most of the Turks that I know that have places in Florida are not super wealthy, they may be above average by Turkish standards, but not even considered really wealthy here. As you know IST, there are plenty of places in South Florida that are significantly cheaper to buy than many places in Istanbul, so there are people that choose to buy a condo or whatever in Florida, rather than a summer home in the South of Turkey.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 5:34 am

hi everyone one could anyone tell me the loads for ist mia tonight nov 16 thanks AA employee 1st time to ist and loved it
Old Nov 16, 2021, 8:39 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by mjhollywood1
hi everyone one could anyone tell me the loads for ist mia tonight nov 16 thanks AA employee 1st time to ist and loved it
We would love to help, but we are not TK employees with access to TK proprietary systems...

We are just a bunch of folks who travel with TK from time to time...
ISTFlyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.