Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Flexible Travel until March 31, 2022 vs open tix validity 31.12.21

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2021, 3:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK EP, AF Platinum for life, something in Oneworld not worth to mention...

Hi,
I was excited to see the announcement yesterday:
As we return to the skies, we offer unlimited changing rights to ensure that our passengers enjoy maximum peace of mind. Flexible Travel opportunities are offered until March 31, 2022 (inclusive), for tickets bought until December 31, 2021 (inclusive)

However, I am disappointed to see that the the Zero Change Fee or Change to Open Ticket rights still mention Until December 31, 2020 (included).

Is that just not updated, or TK only gives the Flexible Travel option until March 31, 2022 for the newly ticketed flights?...
Old Mar 22, 2021, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Thanks for sharing; this was already mentioned in the GUIDE Thread by another member.

For the sake of discussions not splitting up ( catering thread example ), I would kindly ask the moderator to merge this thread with the GUIDE Thread. As soon as I have time, I'll update the information over there.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 3:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK EP, AF Platinum for life, something in Oneworld not worth to mention...
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Thanks for sharing; this was already mentioned in the GUIDE Thread by another member.
Just to be clear that I am not claiming any rights whatsoever being the first person noticing this. What I noticed however was the discrepancy of the dates - as described
Old Mar 22, 2021, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by kaspars
Just to be clear that I am not claiming the right being the first person noticing this. What I noticed however was the discrepancy of the dates - as described
You're right at your claim. I have no argument against that
But, I foresee people starting to share their concerns here in this thread.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Edit: I looked deeper into this discrepancy.

The zero change fee policy is valid for tickets purchased before 20 March 2021 and yes, it's true that open tickets for tickets originally purchased before this date should be used and travel must be completed by 31 December 2021.

For tickets purchased on/after 21 March 2021, passengers could use and fly their open ticket until 31 March 2022. It's just the initial ticketing deadline which is 31 December 2021.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 4:27 am
Original Poster

The zero change fee policy is valid for tickets purchased before 20 March 2021 and yes, it's true that open tickets for tickets originally purchased before this date should be used and travel must be completed by 31 December 2021.

For tickets purchased on/after 21 March 2021, passengers could use and fly their open ticket until 31 March 2022. It's just the initial ticketing deadline which is 31 December 2021.
Thanks, ISTFlyer. Do you think we have any hope that the March 2022 deadline will be also applied to the tickets issued before 20 March?... It might also become confusing for TK at some point
Old Mar 22, 2021, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kaspars
Thanks, ISTFlyer. Do you think we have any hope that the March 2022 deadline will be also applied to the tickets issued before 20 March?... It might also become confusing for TK at some point
I don't think so. They would probably want to get rid of tickets issued in 2019 and the first quarter of 2020.
However, I could be wrong.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 3:34 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Hilton Diamond, OWS

Shouldn't this be 20 March 2020?

I see the following on TK's website: "For tickets made between 21 March 2020 - 31 December 2021 (inclusive), passengers can make unlimited changes until 31 March 2022 (inclusive)."
Old Mar 24, 2021, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Scandinavian traveler
Shouldn't this be 20 March 2020?

I see the following on TK's website: "For tickets made between 21 March 2020 - 31 December 2021 (inclusive), passengers can make unlimited changes until 31 March 2022 (inclusive)."
You're right. I did a typo mistake.
Thanks for alerting
Old Jun 16, 2021, 2:19 pm

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
Questions on the open ticket option:

1) Is this permitted as a voluntary option?
2) Will fare different apply when flights are booked assuming the route and booking classes are same?
Old Jun 16, 2021, 4:20 pm

i booked LAX to IST roundtrip in November 2020 for $730. Converted it to open ticket as i could not make the flight. Now they want $806 extra for July travel days. You can not book Open ticket on the website, you have to call. When you call the main number, the representative tells you that the extra charge is what the computer shows and refers you to the Feedback part of Turkish Airlines website. Flexible travel options on Turkish Airlines is pretty much a scam
Old Jun 16, 2021, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nik2015
i booked LAX to IST roundtrip in November 2020 for $730. Converted it to open ticket as i could not make the flight. Now they want $806 extra for July travel days. You can not book Open ticket on the website, you have to call. When you call the main number, the representative tells you that the extra charge is what the computer shows and refers you to the Feedback part of Turkish Airlines website. Flexible travel options on Turkish Airlines is pretty much a scam
Hi nik2015 and welcome to FlyerTalk!

First, did TK cancelled your LAX to IST flight on November 2020, or was it you that cancelled your ticket and converted to an open ticket voluntarily ( on your own decision ). If you have made the decision voluntarily to cancel your ticket, the agent would be right and a fare difference might apply. Also, it's highly normal that a ticket in the middle of the summer would cost much more than November which is off-season.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I agree with ISTFlyer. No scam about charging the fare difference between a cheap/off-season fare and high season/July fares when we are talking about voluntary changes. If it was that easy TK wouldn't be able to sell any tickets at high-season/summer fares because most/all would have purchased the much cheaper off-season fare and converted to the much higher summer fare; exactly as the OP here is trying to achieve. The flexible travel option doesn't provide a right to change the ticket without recalculation of the fare; that was never the intention. In reality it is just the change fee being waived.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 10:06 am

I canceled the ticket voluntarily and converted to open ticket. The problem is Turkish airlines website states that the terms of Flexible Changing right as follows:
  • Fare differences incurred by taxes, exchange rates or fare class differences will be applied.
See bottom of page of turkish airlines "flexible change" webpage (sorry it wont let me post link cause i too new here)

The exchange rate between now and Nov is virtually the same. I am flying same class. Are they saying taxes went up $806? I don't think so.

What's driving me crazy is not the fact i might have to pay extra, it is that the way I see it, they are not abiding by the terms and conditions that they have set for Flexible changing right.

Any input is appreciated.

copy paste:

Terms and Conditions

No matter how many times your plans change, you are safe with Flexible Travel. Please review the terms and conditions to find out how Flexible Travel works!
  • Ticket change for not flown tickets can be made for a different destination, provided that the fare difference is paid. For partially flown tickets, the ticket change for a different destination can be made only within the region groups specified by the International Air Transport Association (IATA). Fare differences incurred will be applied but there shall be no penalties charged.
  • Change requests can be performed through the Turkish Airlines sales offices, call center, online channels (for international flight tickets only) and the agencies from which the ticket was purchased.
  • For tickets made between 21 March 2020 - 31 December 2021 (inclusive), passengers can make unlimited changes until 31 March 2022 (inclusive).
  • In order to change the ticket to an Open Ticket, the reservation must be cancelled before the date of flight.
  • In order to change the ticket to an Open Ticket, cancellations must be performed via the Turkish Airlines call center, sales offices, or the agencies from which the ticket was purchased.
  • Fare differences incurred by taxes, exchange rates or fare class differences will be applied.
  • Does not apply for flights arriving to / departing from China.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 10:11 am

Hi ISTFlyer - thanks for your welcome!!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.