Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Summer 2021 predictions?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2021, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Summer 2021 predictions?

Hey all - we go to Turkey every summer, my wife is Turkish and her family lives there. We obviously had to cancel our summer plans in 2020, but now looking ahead to 2021. What's everyone's predictions about what the state of things may be by then? Also, I'm confused about the current cancellation policy and if tickets purchased today could have the policy changed by summer? What is the safest way to purchase tickets now for the summer, and hedge myself to be able to cancel by then if needed? Does purchasing a class H ticket help with that? Travel insurance?

Thanks!
Old Jan 19, 2021, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
To clarify, TK's cancellation policy hasn't changed since COVID unless there is an active waiver. If you would like to cancel a ticket that isn't fully refundable voluntarily, you are responsible for the cancellation fee on your fare rules.

The COVID related policies are related to changing tickets where no change fees would be collected but a fare difference might apply. So indeed, if you would not like to travel, you could postpone your trip without paying any penalties.

I can't speak about travel insurance but for the TK ticket part purchasing a refundable fare bucket ( which could differ from route to route ) would allow you to cancel your tickets for free upon your request.

By the way, if there is a schedule change over 15 minutes or if one of your flights get cancelled, regardless of the fare rules, this would grant a free full refund to your original payment method.

For more details please consult this guide thread: Guide thread: Cv-19 ticketing, changes, rebooking, cancellation, open ticket options
DaveS likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 12:20 pm

Programs: TK Elite+ Delta Platinum Medallion
ISTflyer do you know if anyone can enter Turkey without a PCR Test if they have been fully vaccinated and can show a vaccination card ??
Old Jan 31, 2021, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Dave69NewYork
ISTflyer do you know if anyone can enter Turkey without a PCR Test if they have been fully vaccinated and can show a vaccination card ??
Of course not, the purpose of the COVID-19 test is to show that you don't carry the virus.
Still, if you are vaccinated, you could be an asymptomatic carrier so that's why a vaccine certificate wouldn't replace a negative COVID PCR test.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Why do you need to make reservations for summer now? It is highly uncertain if you will be able to travel by summer so just wait until things have become more clear. Trust me there will be plenty of opportunities later to buy tickets during sales etc
TPJ and nacho like this.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Why do you need to make reservations for summer now? It is highly uncertain if you will be able to travel by summer so just wait until things have become more clear. Trust me there will be plenty of opportunities later to buy tickets during sales etc
Definitely won't book anything until things are more certain. At the moment regulations/rules are changed like weekly/bi-weekly and they take effect quickly after it has been announced.

Some SK fans are asking where they can go without restrictions and booked the EB award discount offer - and they are not from DK/NO.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 3:49 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Originally Posted by nacho
Definitely won't book anything until things are more certain. At the moment regulations/rules are changed like weekly/bi-weekly and they take effect quickly after it has been announced.

Some SK fans are asking where they can go without restrictions and booked the EB award discount offer - and they are not from DK/NO.
I think it is indeed better.

I had no qualms about travelling and have flown quite a lot in the summer and autumn of last year, although I never booked more than 1-2 weeks out.

But the situation with lockdowns, border closures, continuously changing restrictions (either imposed by governments or airlines) seems to change each week these days.. The situation seems more similar to the beginning of the pandemic with governments going crazy about all kinds of COVID19 strains which already got a foothold pretty much everywhere..

Probably will still do some trips in the coming months when possible, but those will be most likely closer to home and not long-haul. And if it's a bit further away, I would want to be sure that there is always a last-minute alternative to fly home through a different third country, get a PCR test etc if restrictions change or some airlines suddenly stop flying. Booking now for summer? No way that I would personally do so until more is clear. And I'm quite sure the great offers (especially in business class) will keep coming throughout the year as I expect leisure travel to pick up faster than business travel, although both will still probably be at a low point for most of 2021.
nacho and DaveS like this.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As the OP is married to someone Turkish, I assume that he at least has Turkish citizenship or a Mavi Kart so he would be able to travel to Turkey. I can't speak about his country of residency wheater if there would be a self-isolation/quarantine requirement upon arrival but if the OP personally decides not to travel for his own safety, that is his personal issue rather than travel restrictions.

Turkey is not a tourism-dependent country but tourism has a huge impact on our economy so I don't feel that there would be any border restrictions other than country-specific ones ( like the one currently applies for UK, Brasil, South Africa, Denmark arrivals ).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.