Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Trip report: Toronto to Istanbul business class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2020, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Wanted to make a quick report on business class service, as I was unable to find a clear picture of what to expect on a TK long-haul flight. This is my first report, so it will be a bit dry, but hopefully I can help others manage their expectations. We had set off assuming there would be no bedding, for example, and were pleasantly surprised by the experience (or maybe "not overly disappointed" is a better way to describe it).

The wife and I flew on TK18, YYZ->IST on July 12 landing July 13. This is a 9 hour route that we have taken before in business, though we had never flown in the 787-9 Dreamliner seat configuration.

Boarding in YYZ was uneventful. Parking and entering the airport was like a ghost town. There were only 4 international departures that Sunday night, so the terminal was quite dead. AC's lounge was closed, and only 2 food outlets were operating on a limited menu. Luckily we found one of our favourite canned beers, Mill Street Vanilla Porter, at the operating burger outlet. Boarding was roughly by row block, but we didn't board until last call. Temperature check and distribution of TK sanitation kits was performed on the ramp after boarding passes were checked.

Our tickets were booked at the last minute, forcing the pair of us to be seated in the same row separated by an aisle, 6A and D. Once boarding was completed, the seat beside my wife in the centre aisle was unoccupied (either TK is blocking off seats for social distancing, or it was a no-show) and I was allowed to move to sit beside her; another older couple moved into some neighbouring seats. This was a nice sign that some reasonable level of accommodation would be provided despite the ongoing COVID panic. I will also not that I only noticed attendants wearing masks and no gloves / face shields / other panic gear while distributing items, though I didn't look into the galleys (they wore gloves while collecting trash as usual).

As expected there was no amenities kit or noise cancelling business headphones provided. The seats did come with a packaged set of headphones and a packaged blanket. Flight attendants distributed the Turkish COVID landing questionnaire form and pens. Packaged business class bedding was distributed shortly after takeoff.

Takeoff was uneventful, and the first meal service began. Quite unexpectedly, we were asked for drink orders from a selection of packaged beverages. Beer, red and white wine were available! I received a red Calvet wine after ordering white and being forgotten in the shuffle. I'm not sure if this is TK's normal business wine selection, but the vintage suggests it is.

Calvet French red wine on a TK flight under COVID!

The cold dinner was obviously prepared in Canada from the Kraft caeser dressing packet and water. Dinner consisted of a salad with a generous portion of chicken breast, a vegetarian wrap (mostly grilled eggplant), hummus, bread and a brownie. TK's usual Sirma bottled water was also distributed. Obviously quite a downgrade from a typical business dinner, but I was expecting something cold AND without meat from reading other trip reports, so I was again pleasantly surprised. This is also a 10:20pm departure, after which I usually want to get straight to sleep, not find myself eating and digesting a large heavy meal that will have me sweating all night, so a light meal was appreciated.

Cold business dinner

Breakfast was again cold and without a hot beverage. The meal consisted of a meat (I think turkey) and cheese sandwich, a muffin, yoghurt and fruit, a decidedly sweet Canadian breakfast. The wife complained that there was no real salty option here, though I think the sandwich is meant to qualify. I had brought along a (hideously overpriced) packaged Tim Horton's iced coffee purchased in the departure terminal; the lack of a viable alternative to coffee would seem to me the greatest shortcoming in this COVID service (no, I will not drink Coca Cola with my breakfast).

Cold business breakfast

Landing and taxi at IST was uneventful, and international arrivals was quite empty. Temperature check on arrival was simply a thermal camera you walked past on the way to the border. Most other passengers on the flight (I would say it was at least 75% full) were transiting, so we had no wait at the border to enter. There were several tables set up with extra landing questionnaire forms if yours had been lost. We were pleased to see the IST arrival duty free was open and had some good deals on their perishables.

Looking forward to our return flight to Toronto later this month. Fingers crossed that IST will have a lounge for us, but not looking forward to the 14 day quarantine once we return to Canada. It seems that travel business in the waning days of the current COVID panic is no longer some great adventure, merely a slight downgrade in service, though I appreciated travelling in July without the crowds.

Let me know if there are any questions I can answer about the service!

UPDATE: Here's a photo of the current business drink menu (2020-08-02):

Last edited by jackmaninov; Aug 5, 2020 at 8:57 am Reason: Added drink menu
Old Jul 14, 2020, 10:37 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite+, Qatar Platinum
Thanks a lot for sharing your experience! jackmaninov
Old Jul 14, 2020, 12:49 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Thank you for reviewing! We are scheduled to take this very flight at the end of next month. The experience looks and sounds completely dreadful. I know its each to its own but Im speaking subjectively. Not looking forward to this for the business class prices.
daisymay2 likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 12:51 pm

Programs: QR Gold / M&M FTL / Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
How taste this 5USD subpar wine ?

Seem that the cost cutting cannot be more than that...
Old Jul 14, 2020, 3:31 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by GalaxyChris
How taste this 5USD subpar wine ?

Seem that the cost cutting cannot be more than that...
it’s definitely a lot less than $5 for that wine
daisymay2 likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by jackmaninov
Wanted to make a quick report on business class service, as I was unable to find a clear picture of what to expect on a TK long-haul flight. This is my first report, so it will be a bit dry, but hopefully I can help others manage their expectations. We had set off assuming there would be no bedding, for example, and were pleasantly surprised by the experience (or maybe "not overly disappointed" is a better way to describe it).

The wife and I flew on TK18, YYZ->IST on July 12 landing July 13. This is a 9 hour route that we have taken before in business, though we had never flown in the 787-9 Dreamliner seat configuration.

Boarding in YYZ was uneventful. Parking and entering the airport was like a ghost town. There were only 4 international departures that Sunday night, so the terminal was quite dead. AC's lounge was closed, and only 2 food outlets were operating on a limited menu. Luckily we found one of our favourite canned beers, Mill Street Vanilla Porter, at the operating burger outlet. Boarding was roughly by row block, but we didn't board until last call. Temperature check and distribution of TK sanitation kits was performed on the ramp after boarding passes were checked.

Our tickets were booked at the last minute, forcing the pair of us to be seated in the same row separated by an aisle, 6A and D. Once boarding was completed, the seat beside my wife in the centre aisle was unoccupied (either TK is blocking off seats for social distancing, or it was a no-show) and I was allowed to move to sit beside her; another older couple moved into some neighbouring seats. This was a nice sign that some reasonable level of accommodation would be provided despite the ongoing COVID panic. I will also not that I only noticed attendants wearing masks and no gloves / face shields / other panic gear while distributing items, though I didn't look into the galleys (they wore gloves while collecting trash as usual).

As expected there was no amenities kit or noise cancelling business headphones provided. The seats did come with a packaged set of headphones and a packaged blanket. Flight attendants distributed the Turkish COVID landing questionnaire form and pens. Packaged business class bedding was distributed shortly after takeoff.

Takeoff was uneventful, and the first meal service began. Quite unexpectedly, we were asked for drink orders from a selection of packaged beverages. Beer, red and white wine were available! I received a red Calvet wine after ordering white and being forgotten in the shuffle. I'm not sure if this is TK's normal business wine selection, but the vintage suggests it is.

Calvet French red wine on a TK flight under COVID!

The cold dinner was obviously prepared in Canada from the Kraft caeser dressing packet and water. Dinner consisted of a salad with a generous portion of chicken breast, a vegetarian wrap (mostly grilled eggplant), hummus, bread and a brownie. TK's usual Sirma bottled water was also distributed. Obviously quite a downgrade from a typical business dinner, but I was expecting something cold AND without meat from reading other trip reports, so I was again pleasantly surprised. This is also a 10:20pm departure, after which I usually want to get straight to sleep, not find myself eating and digesting a large heavy meal that will have me sweating all night, so a light meal was appreciated.

Cold business dinner

Breakfast was again cold and without a hot beverage. The meal consisted of a meat (I think turkey) and cheese sandwich, a muffin, yoghurt and fruit, a decidedly sweet Canadian breakfast. The wife complained that there was no real salty option here, though I think the sandwich is meant to qualify. I had brought along a (hideously overpriced) packaged Tim Horton's iced coffee purchased in the departure terminal; the lack of a viable alternative to coffee would seem to me the greatest shortcoming in this COVID service (no, I will not drink Coca Cola with my breakfast).

Cold business breakfast

Landing and taxi at IST was uneventful, and international arrivals was quite empty. Temperature check on arrival was simply a thermal camera you walked past on the way to the border. Most other passengers on the flight (I would say it was at least 75% full) were transiting, so we had no wait at the border to enter. There were several tables set up with extra landing questionnaire forms if yours had been lost. We were pleased to see the IST arrival duty free was open and had some good deals on their perishables.

Looking forward to our return flight to Toronto later this month. Fingers crossed that IST will have a lounge for us, but not looking forward to the 14 day quarantine once we return to Canada. It seems that travel business in the waning days of the current COVID panic is no longer some great adventure, merely a slight downgrade in service, though I appreciated travelling in July without the crowds.

Let me know if there are any questions I can answer about the service!
Thank you for sharing. Sad to see how down the hill TK onboard service has gone for the time-being.
daisymay2 likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 8:34 pm

Programs: QR Gold, WY Gold, TK Elite, EY Silver,
Originally Posted by asnovici
it’s definitely a lot less than $5 for that wine
Think positive, they could have chosen a carton wine for 2 USD instead. But let's not put the idea into their heads
jackmaninov likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 2:52 am

Programs: CX Diamond (DM)
Wow what a change... is this because with no demand, it’s not economical to keep the kitchen open for catering service providers on the ground? I don’t see how this is any more or less sanitary from properly prepared hot meals.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Wow! Business class food turned into economy food......
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 8:12 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE. AF-Plat
It's great you got a 787! Usually it's a 777 in 2-3-2 config which I detest!
Old Jul 25, 2020, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by eagle215
It's great you got a 787! Usually it's a 777 in 2-3-2 config which I detest!
As Canada is closed to foreigners it would not be reasonable to operate a 777.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 6:53 am

Sorry but not paying business class rates for that service. Very poor quality wine and a meal that is more suitable to an outdoor picnic. Expect better than this even in these difficult times.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 6:06 am

Programs: BA Silver / EI Silver
Still hoping that by December they improve their on board service.
daisymay2 likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 7:06 am

Programs: EK Skywards silver Miles and Smiles Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A
Originally Posted by AHC96
Same here! We fly MAN-MRU December in TK J class.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AHC96
And I am here hoping for an improvement for my IST-SFO flight next week

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.