Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Miles expiration extended?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2020, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Miles expiration extended?

My 3y old miles are due to expire by the end of this calendar year.

Any news on extention of validity following the covid-19 measures?
Old Mar 20, 2020, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
The crisis would have to continue for several months longer before TK would start thinking about extending the life of miles.

The more relevant concern is whether already-expired miles can be reinstated if the underlying award needs cancelling.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 4:13 am

Programs: TK Elite
After cancelling an award ticket this morning I can confirm that there is no plan currently to extend the validity of miles. Not only that but if you had booked an award ticket back in 2019 with miles that would have expired at the end of the year 2019 you will not get these miles back if cancelling today
craigthemif and 336 like this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
I assume that TK's top priority is expiring miles at the end of 2020.
Come on, there are many serious things to deal with before that.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Once one has bought all of the toilet paper, UHT milk and dry pasta / sauce in town, one tends to get bored at home waiting for 2021...
Old Mar 20, 2020, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Indeed. FT is for the less serious things.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
We technically still have 9 months and 10 days until the expiration of the miles earned in 2017, and nobody knows how this COVID-19 situation would influence our world in the upcoming months.
I pretty understand the concern of people using ELPL vouchers and expired miles ( end of 2019 ) for 2020 travel; however, there are more than 3 quarters of a year until miles earned in 2017 expire.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Once one has bought all of the toilet paper, UHT milk and dry pasta / sauce in town, one tends to get bored at home waiting for 2021...
It's the case if you still have your job at that time.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 3:30 am
Original Poster

Agreed. Still 3 quarters left on the calendar, and lots of unkowns.

However, many airlines already confirmed their shut down, up and including Q2.

The daily situation may revert to normal by the end of Q2. Travel restrictions won't be gone that easily: As long as not >50% of the population has been infected, and been able to build-up resistance, countries will be very cautious for a new uncontrolled wave of infections.

So yes, whereas I agree there are much more important things, I do think that non-essential international and intercontinental travel in 2020 will be very restricted or close to impossible.

Last edited by 336; Mar 21, 2020 at 3:56 am
Old Mar 21, 2020, 5:41 pm

Programs: QR Gold, TK Gold
Originally Posted by nacho
It's the case if you still have your job at that time.
Good thing I already got rid of mine this week
Old Mar 23, 2020, 12:51 am

Programs: QR Gold, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, GHA Titanium, Taj Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
My award booking was made with TK last year with miles that would have expired Jan 1st 2020. With TK cancelling the route I was to fly, I successfully managed to have the award ticket changed to a different carrier (AI) without loosing the miles. phew!
ankomonkey likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
So TK will rebook to other Star Alliance carriers (with X/I class availability) if TK cancelled the route?
Old Mar 23, 2020, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lifeonthego_k
My award booking was made with TK last year with miles that would have expired Jan 1st 2020. With TK cancelling the route I was to fly, I successfully managed to have the award ticket changed to a different carrier (AI) without loosing the miles. phew!
Did a call center agent made this or you have contacted one of the sales offices?
Old Mar 24, 2020, 1:24 am

Programs: QR Gold, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, GHA Titanium, Taj Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Did a call center agent made this or you have contacted one of the sales offices?
Contacted a sales office.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by SK AAR
So TK will rebook to other Star Alliance carriers (with X/I class availability) if TK cancelled the route?
I missed an IST connection to Manchester on an award flight, and TK purchased a Lufthansa ticket to get me home.

So when they go down that route, a search for specific fare-classes might be a red herring.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.