Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Standby for international with confirmed later reservation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2019, 2:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver

Hi,

Traveling IST-TLV on a very busy day. I arrive on SQ and in transit to TLV at 7am there are 3 full flights C0 Y0 before the flight I have confirmed seat on. I am checking bags

Will TK let me standby in the lounge for an earlier flight? Will they locate and lost my bags if I get on? Will they charge a change fee? I am *AG.

Thanks
Old Oct 13, 2019, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Standby isn't really a thing with international airlines. Either your ticket is flexible or you fly on the flight you booked / pay a change fee to formally change flights... Presumably you are booked in inflexible economy.

With checked luggage you make things even more complicated. There's never any harm in asking, but once you are airside you should plan on flying as booked.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 4:11 am

Programs: TK Elite
If there is enough time (more than (2 hours) between arrival and departure, ask at the TK desk for the earlier flight. Tell them, that you have checked baggage.

You can visit the lounge, but you should at the gate at boarding-time. It's a silent lounge like the airport is, so no announcement is made.

It worked for me recently, but I asked at the start-airport and it was a non-connecting flight.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 7:10 am

I have done it before, on IST-TLV, flying Y (IIRC) but surely with no checked luggage. I asked in the lounge and they handed me a new boarding pass without a hassle. So definitely worth asking, but keep your expectations low.

Shuly
Old Oct 13, 2019, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I asked the same a couple years ago (to get on the earlier IST-CPH flight w/o checked luggage). There was no way the gate agent would allow us to board when ticketed for the next flight. We were told to go to the transfer desk but only to be told the same thing there. I would keep my expectations very low, especially when you have checked luggage.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Is the SQ and TK flight on separate tickets?

If yes, do not try to interline bags to your TK flight at SIN or your first point of departure if you want to change for an earlier flight. When checking-in for your regular flight, with the condition that you are present no earlier than 4 hours before departure, if there is availability, you can request a free change to an earlier flight. Turkish Airlines does not offer standby upon request ( unless you are VIP, executive... ) so there should be availability. The checked baggage would trigger an issue so the lounge or the airside care points may reject your case after you have checked your baggage. Especially on TLV flights which bags go through extra security. The TK baggage handling system is not the best and it's not worth dealing with it.

If they are on the same ticket, you have almost no chance.

Also, keep in mind that the C0 Y0 flights may be overbooked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.