Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IST Layover suggestion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Don't forget long taxi time after landing and long walk from gate to lounge and walk back to departing gate with a 2y old toddler...
Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
If your layover is 13 hours and if you land at 12:10, there is no need for you to get a hotel room for a few hours. If you would like to visit the touristic destinations, checking-in at a hotel would be a waste of time and probably take about an extra hour instead of taking a taxi or Havaist bus directly to the Old Town. From 14:00 to 18:00, you could explore the old town, then have dinner and head back to the airport. Maybe, there would also be time for shopping or taking a Bosphorus Tour by boat.
witthuus likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FEasy
Not sure if you've already flown, but there are nice spots a 30 min taxi ride or so from the airport. Sariyer comes to mind, on the shores of the Bosphorus. It's very much an Istanbul experience, as you will see old Ottoman mansions, some converted to restaurants, and can relax by the side of the Bosphorus. There is also the Sadberk Hanim museum near Sariyer, which is a very cosy and modern take on your traditional history museum (not stuffy or overcrowded).
Hi FEasy, no our flight's next summer. That's definitely a good alternate option!! Just a follow up question on your suggestion if you don't mind. This means I would need a Turkish Visa (which I could get at airport) right? Factoring in traffic both ways and time for visa, this may take (on a conservative estimation) about 2-3 hours of time for commuting and visas?
Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tartempion
Don't forget long taxi time after landing and long walk from gate to lounge and walk back to departing gate with a 2y old toddler...
Thanks for that info tartempion! I've never flow Turkish Airlines or to/through the new airport. Approximately (regular adult pace) how far a walk is the gate to the lounge? Is taxi time longer than the norm at this airport? Thanks!
Old Aug 21, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
Originally Posted by TIGRIS23
Hi FEasy, no our flight's next summer. That's definitely a good alternate option!! Just a follow up question on your suggestion if you don't mind. This means I would need a Turkish Visa (which I could get at airport) right? Factoring in traffic both ways and time for visa, this may take (on a conservative estimation) about 2-3 hours of time for commuting and visas?
you can save time by getting your visa in advance online and I think it’s cheaper as well.

The official Turkish Government site for visas is https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/
FEasy likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CoweyB

you can save time by getting your visa in advance online and I think it’s cheaper as well.

The official Turkish Government site for visas is https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/
Thanks CoweyB! Didn't know I could get it online in advance!
Old Aug 21, 2019, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton Diamond
Thank you ISTFlyer.
Which bus station do you suggest I go to in Old Town ? Where do Bosphorus tours leave from ?
I was planing to take a hotel bc I like to get some rest and a quick shower before returning to the airport. Flight to KTM does not leave before 1.30am and I do not want to hang around the airport from 8pm onwards
Old Aug 22, 2019, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by witthuus
Thank you ISTFlyer.
Which bus station do you suggest I go to in Old Town ? Where do Bosphorus tours leave from ?
I was planing to take a hotel bc I like to get some rest and a quick shower before returning to the airport. Flight to KTM does not leave before 1.30am and I do not want to hang around the airport from 8pm onwards
You would need to take bus IST-20 ( Havaist ) to Eminönü ( last stop would be Sultanahmet ) which runs every 30 minutes. The buses run 7/24. There you could take a Bosphorus tour.
Bosphorus Tours run until 21:00 and they take around 1h30mins. The official Bosphorus tour, run by the municipality, has the same option only at 14:30 which would give you a better ferry and better views as it's large. No reservation is required and you could always walk-in and buy tickets for a Bosphorus tour.

I also understand that you would need a hotel. If you want hotel suggestions and transportation advise from that hotel to the airport, feel free to write.
witthuus likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 9:04 pm

Thank you very much - very helpful. My first visit to IST and I have no idea

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
You would need to take bus IST-20 ( Havaist ) to Eminönü ( last stop would be Sultanahmet ) .....
So I get off at the last stop ? Sultanahmet ?

I also understand that you would need a hotel. If you want hotel suggestions and transportation advise from that hotel to the airport, feel free to write.
Yes please - would love to get some suggestions.
Thanks again !!

Last edited by witthuus; Aug 23, 2019 at 9:01 am
Old Aug 24, 2019, 12:51 am

Programs: Singapore Airlines Krisflyer/ AF-KLM Flying Blue
Layover suggestions

Hello I'll be arriving into the new Istanbul airport at 8.25am and will have a self connecting flight with KLM at 5.55pm. I'll have a 9 hour layover in Istanbul. I have a few questions and I thought I could use the help from fellow forum members - you guys.

How can I visit the city centre from the new Istanbul airport? I understand that the rail network is not operational till 2020 and in the meantime the only public transport option is via the public bus. Is it difficult to navigate around the public bus network in the airport? How long does it usually take to get to the city centre using the public transport?

Is there any baggage storage facility in Istanbul airport and is it far from the AF-KLM check in counter? I know this is probably the wrong thread but does anyone know if KLM offer early check in with baggage storage?

Lastly do you guys have any suggestions for my 9 hrs layover? I'm a student here so if possible I would want to minimise cost and take public transport as much as possible.

Thanks for all your help and input in advance.
​​​​
Old Aug 24, 2019, 8:34 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by CoweyB
you can save time by getting your visa in advance online and I think it’s cheaper as well.The official Turkish Government site for visas is https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/
I thought it was mandatory now to do it online - visa on arrival was being discouraged
Old Aug 24, 2019, 8:36 pm

The official Bosphorus tour, run by the municipality, has the same option only at 14:30 which would give you a better ferry and better views as it's large. No reservation is required and you could always walk-in and buy tickets for a Bosphorus tour.
I'm particularly interested in this. Can you supply a link please?
Old Aug 25, 2019, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by witthuus
Thank you very much - very helpful. My first visit to IST and I have no idea
So I get off at the last stop ? Sultanahmet ?
Yes please - would love to get some suggestions.
Thanks again !!
For the Bosphorus tour you need to get off at Eminönü, for other touristic destinations such as the Topkapı Palace, Hagia Sophia, etc... you need to get off at the last stop Sultanahmet.
For hotel suggestions, may I have your preferred hotel chain?

Originally Posted by RTWFF
I thought it was mandatory now to do it online - visa on arrival was being discouraged
It's not mandatory to purchase a visa online, in advance, but it's cheaper to buy online.

Originally Posted by RTWFF
I'm particularly interested in this. Can you supply a link please?
?ehir Hatlar? Ferries Announcement
?ehir Hatlar? Ferries Timetables | Bosphorus Ferry | Ferry Schedule

Originally Posted by Yong88988
Hello I'll be arriving into the new Istanbul airport at 8.25am and will have a self connecting flight with KLM at 5.55pm. I'll have a 9 hour layover in Istanbul. I have a few questions and I thought I could use the help from fellow forum members - you guys.

How can I visit the city centre from the new Istanbul airport? I understand that the rail network is not operational till 2020 and in the meantime the only public transport option is via the public bus. Is it difficult to navigate around the public bus network in the airport? How long does it usually take to get to the city centre using the public transport?

Is there any baggage storage facility in Istanbul airport and is it far from the AF-KLM check in counter? I know this is probably the wrong thread but does anyone know if KLM offer early check in with baggage storage?

Lastly do you guys have any suggestions for my 9 hrs layover? I'm a student here so if possible I would want to minimise cost and take public transport as much as possible.

Thanks for all your help and input in advance.
First, AF/KL check-in counters open 2h30mins-3h before the flight so there won't be any early check-in options. The baggage storage facility is at the arrivals level at the western end near the Turkish Airlines hotel desk while the AF/KL check-in counter is in the departures level.

To help you more with your 9 hour layover, can I ask your preferences ( such as visiting museums, walking tours, Bosphorus tours, shopping, etc... )?
The public transportation system to IST ( buses ) are reliable and runs smoothly.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 8:37 pm

For hotel suggestions, may I have your preferred hotel chain?
I have status with IHG and Marriott but do not mind staying outside these 2 groups
Thank you ISTFlyer
Old Aug 25, 2019, 10:54 pm

It's not mandatory to purchase a visa online, in advance, but it's cheaper to buy online..
I'm not trying to be argumentative but Australian citizens have been told that they must apply for an eVisa rather than at a Turkish embassy or consulate. The latter is there only if they cannot apply for an eVisa - https://smartraveller.gov.au/Countri...es/turkey.aspx - generally if they want more than 90 days in a six-month period

Thanks for the Bosphorus ferry links. I found a couple of references on TripAdvisor where the poster had mentioned that option in the middle of posts about commercially operated trips

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.