Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hot Rumor: USA frequency increases in S20

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2019, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I love the whole "EU to the US is so out of the way thing" You guys do know that the EU consists of more than just the original EU 12 in Western Europe, right? Because for someone coming out of Bucharest, or Cluj, or Varna, or Kosice, or a bunch or other places that are in the "EU" and especially if flying somewhere other than NY (where there are a couple of flights from Eastern Europe) TK is often the best connection for many of these people.
Old May 10, 2019, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by hfly
I love the whole "EU to the US is so out of the way thing" You guys do know that the EU consists of more than just the original EU 12 in Western Europe, right? Because for someone coming out of Bucharest, or Cluj, or Varna, or Kosice, or a bunch or other places that are in the "EU" and especially if flying somewhere other than NY (where there are a couple of flights from Eastern Europe) TK is often the best connection for many of these people.
True - but the majority of the EU residents are further away from these cities. Isn't Cyprus part of the EU? Not sure if they can even fly TK.
Old May 10, 2019, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, and those "majority EU" customers that you cite tend to fly TK EAST or SOUTH rather than WEST.
Old May 10, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Yes, and those "majority EU" customers that you cite tend to fly TK EAST or SOUTH rather than WEST.
GRU-IST-Western Europe in business tends to be quite cheap these days, if GRU counts as West in your book.
Old May 10, 2019, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And flying from IST to the US EK sometimes has awesome Business fares, if one wants such a diversion. KL and LH IST-PVG fares via AMS or MUC.................As does BA IST-SIN via LHR....................and...........?
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
And flying from IST to the US EK sometimes has awesome Business fares, if one wants such a diversion. KL and LH IST-PVG fares via AMS or MUC.................As does BA IST-SIN via LHR....................and...........?
In addition to hfly's post, I would like to mention that there are many Turkish people flying to Brazil, Argentina, and Chile with EK despite the long layover at DXB as it's much more cheaper than flying the direct TK flight or taking a European detour.
Old May 10, 2019, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There was a time when flying TK IST-SIN-IST in Business Class could never be had for under $4500. At that time though if one flew TK LHR-IST-SIN-IST-LHR, one could regularly get it for about 1600 GBP ($2400 or so), and if one wanted to fly IST-SIN-IST with BA via LHR, one could get the ticket for about $2400. Similarly IST-LAX-IST has consistently been since its launch perhaps the most expensive Business Class ticket you could get with TK, with often "low" pricing of $6k plus. However those flying LAX-IST-TEL/IKA/ATH, and a bunch of other places could regularly get it for under $3k. Meanwhile all major European airlines would regularly be selling IST-XXX-LAX for under $3k. That is just the way it is!
gr8pirate and ISTFlyer like this.
Old May 10, 2019, 7:39 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
There was a time when flying TK IST-SIN-IST in Business Class could never be had for under $4500. At that time though if one flew TK LHR-IST-SIN-IST-LHR, one could regularly get it for about 1600 GBP ($2400 or so), and if one wanted to fly IST-SIN-IST with BA via LHR, one could get the ticket for about $2400. Similarly IST-LAX-IST has consistently been since its launch perhaps the most expensive Business Class ticket you could get with TK, with often "low" pricing of $6k plus. However those flying LAX-IST-TEL/IKA/ATH, and a bunch of other places could regularly get it for under $3k. Meanwhile all major European airlines would regularly be selling IST-XXX-LAX for under $3k. That is just the way it is!
Tell me about it. I’m based in LAX, you can recognize me by my green complexion. Green with envy over the J fare deals I only get to read about.
Old May 10, 2019, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by gr8pirate

Tell me about it. I’m based in LAX, you can recognize me by my green complexion. Green with envy over the J fare deals I only get to read about.
Here in Turkey, unfortunately, with the high number of pax with prejudices similar to: "I won't spend my time making connections", "Flight connections are really hard and tiring", "I won't fly any other airline than Turkish Airlines", "I need to earn miles to retain my status on Miles&Smiles" etc..., Turkish Airlines is successful to sell high prices for Origin to Destination tickets from IST to LAX. Last December I remember flying IST-LHR-LAX on BA WT for $549 while TK was around $1000-$1100. Same for the premium cabin BA was around $2000-2200, while TK $6000-6500.

These pax who will to pay these high prices are a small minority when compared to the population of Turkey but more than %50 of the pax who can afford to go to LAX would consider flying TK despite the higher prices. They just buy the ticket without any background research. This is similar to Carribean pax from the USA in holiday seasons who goes to a beach holiday in a 4* or 5* resort, where people prefer not to fly a Mexican carrier, Copa Airlines, etc... and pay UA/DL/AA or B6 $300-400pp extra to not make a connection, earning 1000ish miles and save 2 or 3 hours.

However, as you have mentioned, if you are flying LAX-IST-XXX-IST-LAX, then the prices are simply reasonable both on Economy Class and both on Business Class.
Obviously, if XXX is not another airport in Turkey.
Old May 11, 2019, 12:17 am

Having lived in LA and now moving to PHL, I see the same trend with JFK. Flying J JFK-IST-TXL-IST-JFK for $2200. When searching for JFK-IST-JFK it is around $4500. I never thought that as an odd thing as many of you mention, passengers are very skeptical against flights with connection, driving the demand down for certain routes more than others.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old May 11, 2019, 12:27 am

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by max_kolesne
Having lived in LA and now moving to PHL, I see the same trend with JFK. Flying J JFK-IST-TXL-IST-JFK for $2200. When searching for JFK-IST-JFK it is around $4500. I never thought that as an odd thing as many of you mention, passengers are very skeptical against flights with connection, driving the demand down for certain routes more than others.
I’d jump at a LAX-IST-XXX return for $2200 once a year even with my wallet, but find nowhere near that price when I’m booking 2-6 months in advance. Is it a matter of just booking further ahead?
Old May 11, 2019, 1:06 am

I think there are just more available deals from JFK, and TK may not offer similar deals for LAX. I haven’t needed any LAX-IST-XXX routing when I was living there so I am not sure about the rates, but LAX route has always been quite full with no saver award availability ever.

now from PHL, I am really rooting for the EWR routing though, it would make my life much easier.
Old May 12, 2019, 3:44 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by max_kolesne
My colleagues want to go to Turkey (of Lebanese descent) and I told them to fly YYZ-IST-BEY with at least a Sat/Sun turnaround in BEY to save $2000 USD, there's sale now to AMM and BEY for around $1800.

Originally Posted by gr8pirate
I’d jump at a LAX-IST-XXX return for $2200 once a year even with my wallet, but find nowhere near that price when I’m booking 2-6 months in advance. Is it a matter of just booking further ahead?
The cheapest out of LAX now is LAX-IST-OPO (in Portugal) for $2800 with limited dates. Another option, there's YUL-IST-BKK sales going on now for as low as $1850 USD (yes you can create long stopovers), if you can position to Montreal for under $400 then it becomes a viable option.

The main reason BKK is so cheap now is due to QR's sale and also TK is adding third daily to BKK. I really doubt fares would go down much even if second daily is added to LAX, this is one of few markets where A380s are needed for airlines with major connecting hubs.
Old May 12, 2019, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or if Trump goes super heavy on Iranian sanctions, the LAX flight is the preferred method of US/Iranians to go visit Iran, and I would posit that more than 25 percent of every flight is compromised of these passengers. If they really crack down, then there will be a lot more space available on these flights, and a double daily would not be viable.
Old May 24, 2019, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

In a dinner event last night in Washington, DC, Turkish Airlines USA Sales Manager Mr. Doğan announced that they are going to increase Washington, DC ( IAD ) flights and they are going to use newer aircraft on these flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.