Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Taxis from Istanbul New Airport / Good hotel locations half way to SAW?

Old Apr 9, 19, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3 Gold

Hello all,

I'm travelling with TK on LHR-IST & SAW-TBS on Friday/Saturday nights at the end of this week (around 20 hour stopover). I'm due to arrive into IST just after midnight and I'm trying to work out transport and accommodation options.

I'm aware that public transport schedules to/from the new airport have gone 24 hour since it's full opening. But after midnight, I'd prefer to get to my hotel quickly, so I'm more likely to take a taxi. Does anyone know the usual rate for taxis from the new airport to Taksim/Sirkeci/Uskudar? I don't think Uber is functional in Istanbul - are there any other taxi apps I should download beforehand to make things easier?

I'm choosing between Taksim, Sirkeci or Uskudar for hotel location. I've been to Istanbul a few times before so I won't be trying to see lots of sights. I simply want to maximise my time there and try to avoid travel to SAW on Saturday evening from being too bad. What's Istanbul traffic like on a Saturday evening (my flight is due to depart from SAW at 19:20)? Will having a hotel in Uskudar to leave my luggage in make the journey a lot easier compared to the European side?

This hotel in Uskudar has mixed reviews, but looks like a decent hotels for the current rates (~60USD) so I'm considering it:
Ramada Istanbul Asia - https://goo.gl/maps/mZ3om2C1j3w

Thanks in advance for any experience on this.
Old Apr 9, 19, 4:24 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Not sure how far the new airport is but from the old one I paid around 65 TLR to the Taksim area. You could look at distances on google maps to get an idea on whether it would be much more or less. don't forget to also compare drive times.
Old Apr 9, 19, 4:29 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the data point. I've travelled to the old airport a few times before. The difference with the new airport is not so much the extra distance as being outside the urban area there are fewer transport options and more chance of for taxis to be overpriced.
Old Apr 9, 19, 7:14 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Gold, PC Bolbol, All Silver, HH Silver, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
There is a direct shuttle bus ( Havaist ) from Istanbul Airport to Sabiha Gökçen Airport. You must ride the Pendik shuttle and disembark at the first stop of that line which would be Sabiha Gökçen Airport. This bus goes from the 3rd bridge so you would be in SAW within 50 mins after leaving IST. If you consider this as an option, I would suggest you to take the shuttle to Sabiha Gökçen Airport, check your bags and then go to one of the nearby hotels that offer a free shuttle from SAW. If you want to spend the time at the city, avoid Taksim, avoid Sultanahmet, avoid the Bosphorus line, avoid Sirkeci and avoid Üsküdar. In all these spots, weekends would be crowded with local visitors with cars in addition to tourists. However, the Ramada Üsküdar is not in Üsküdar, it's in Altunizade where traffic could happen in any unexpected time. Also the direct municipality bus from Altunizade to SAW is not operating anymore so with bags you would probably need to take a taxi from there.
vincewy and nixande like this.
Old Apr 10, 19, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Thanks ISTFlyer. SAW is probably a bit too far from the city for me to spend the night.

Does anyone know what the going rate for taxis from the new airport to central Istanbul (say, Taksim) is? I'm trying to weigh up the cost of booking a private transfer online versus a taxi. Private transfers from the new airport to Taksim are around 50USD (~44km). A taxi from the old airport to Taksim would have been around 10USD from memory (~22km).
Old Apr 10, 19, 7:55 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Gold, PC Bolbol, All Silver, HH Silver, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Originally Posted by itfcfan View Post
Thanks ISTFlyer. SAW is probably a bit too far from the city for me to spend the night.

Does anyone know what the going rate for taxis from the new airport to central Istanbul (say, Taksim) is? I'm trying to weigh up the cost of booking a private transfer online versus a taxi. Private transfers from the new airport to Taksim are around 50USD (~44km). A taxi from the old airport to Taksim would have been around 10USD from memory (~22km).
A taxi to Taksim from Istanbul Airport would cost around 25-30USD ( around ₺130-₺160 ( depends on if the driver uses the toll road )).
Sinter likes this.
Old Apr 10, 19, 11:19 am

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by itfcfan View Post

Well, SAW WILL a bit too far from the city to get your flight actually.

Your flight from SAW to TBS is TK380, right? it leaves at 7:15 pm, which means you have to arrive at SAW before 6 pm. This means, that you have to leave the city before 2 pm, otherwise you will stuck in the rush hour/traffic.

You will arrive from LHR at 10:15 pm, which means, you will be around 1 am in your hotel close to SAW - enough time to relax e. g. in the Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Istanbul Tuzla.
Old Apr 15, 19, 6:01 am

I'd suggest you stay at Doubletree in Kadikoy. Then Saturday from there either take the Havabus direct to SAW or if you want to avoid most of traffic variable, take Metro from there to end-- and take taxi to SAW from there. Weekend traffic can be nightmare.
Old Apr 15, 19, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Just a quick follow-up. I ended up staying in Ramada Üsküdar and the location worked out well for me.

Late night on Friday (touch down around midnight then a ~25mins walk on the travelators to immigration at the new airport) the taxi took ~45mins and cost 160TL.

The hotel was right next to a metro station - I took that in the morning to Üsküdar ferry station and ate breakfast overlooking the Bosporus. I then took a ferry to Eminönü and walked around Sultanahmet. I took a train+metro back from Sirkeci at 4pm, for a taxi at 5pm (based on the hotel's advice) which got me to SAW at 17:45.

If anyone has a similar stopover situation in the future (swapping airports between IST & SAW and staying over for a night and a day) and wants to be close to central Istanbul I can recommend Ramada Üsküdar.
Sinter, ParisMoskau and vincewy like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: