Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Re-qualified for Elite but now it doesn't show after IT mess

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Re-qualified for Elite but now it doesn't show after IT mess

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:28 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
I'm sorry to tell, but there is no more difference for non-Turkey residents and residents of Turkey. So you need to pass 45000 miles required for the second year. However, your case is a bit strange because you already had the 30000 miles required for the first year.

Source:
I don't want to get into an argument - but you are mistaken.

From the same source you have quoted above (with relevant section in bold):

How can I extend or upgrade my membership?

If you want to enjoy even more of the exclusive benefits offered by Miles&Smiles, you can earn Status Miles and use these to upgrade your Miles&Smiles membership status.
  • Earn Status Miles on every flight operated by Turkish Airlines and other Star Alliance member airlines.
    • After your second year of membership, purchase up to 10,000 Status Miles for $ 70 per 1,000 Miles.
      • If you're resident in Turkey and earn 30,000 Status Miles in your first year, or a total of 45,000 Status Miles in your second year, your membership will be extended. If you're not resident in Turkey, and earn 25,000 Status Miles in your first year, or a total of 37,500 Status Miles in your second year, your membership will be extended.
        • If you’ve reached 80,000 Status Miles in the past 12 months, upgrade to Miles&Smiles Elite Plus.
In addition the system is configured correctly for the second year (i.e., it shows my status as to be renewed, when my miles accrued in the two years are above 37,500 but less then 45,000).

Last edited by MD/DC Flyer; Mar 12, 2019 at 6:34 am
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold

Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
I don't want to get into an argument - but you are mistaken.

From the same source you have quoted above (with relevant section in bold):

In addition the system is configured correctly for the second year (i.e., it shows my status as to be renewed, when my miles accrued in the two years are above 37,500 but less then 45,000).
Really interesting, the website has conflicting points.

These two texts are on the same page. TK IT :/

Last edited by ISTFlyer; Mar 12, 2019 at 6:59 am Reason: Added images
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by johnirvine
In my experience, this approach currently generates only garbage since there are too many complaints for TK staff to deal with. I use 1980s technology only as a last resort!
In the 2 requests I sent recently, one was answered in less than 12 hours and the other in 10 days.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer

Really interesting, the website has conflicting points.

These two texts are on the same page. TK IT :/
I've just started my requalification year for the Elite with foreign residency. My re-qualification criteria is 25k miles for the first year. So, I would say there is still a difference between Turkish residents and foreign residency.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: TK *G, SkyTeam Elite Plus
My experience with re-qualification

So per my understanding I was able to re-qualify in the first year (collect 25k) of my Elite period. My first year period was until end of Feb 2019 and I was able to collect 3k remaining miles few days before deadline. Those miles were credited correctly and even before end of my first year. Just for sake of confirmation I sent a question to the TK via feedback form asking them to confirm my re-qualification because I know that I'll not be able to fly much in the second year but instead of their confirmation they just confused me even more.

I'm attaching screenshots taken on Feb 26th and second screenshot taken in the first week of March 2019. Simply question, did I re-qualify or not?

Btw, this is their official response:

In accordance with the Miles&Smiles program rules, from the date you are qualified to Elite membership, if you are resident in Turkey and in case that you earn 30,000 Status Miles in the first 1year or reach 45,000 Status Miles in total in 2 years of your membership period from your domestic or international flights you will make with Turkish Airlines or Star Alliance member airlines, your Elite membership status is extended for 2 more years.

If you're not resident in Turkey, and earn 25,000 Status Miles in your first 1 year, or a total of 37,500 Status Miles in your 2 years of your membership period from your domestic or international flights you will make with Turkish Airlines or Star Alliance member airlines, your Elite membership status is extended for 2 more years.

We have examined your Miles&Smiles membership account as per your feedback and found out that you earned 22.392 Status Miles in the first year and 25.392 Status Miles in 2 years of your Elite membership period.

If the mentioned criteria cannot be satisfied, your membership status will be changed to Classic Plus.

Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by BurekTheGreat

Simply question, did I re-qualify or not?

You re-qualified as you collected more than 25k miles by February 2019. In the screen shot stated that you need 0 miles to maintain status by the end of the first membership year.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 3:21 am

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Originally Posted by BurekTheGreat
. Simply question, did I re-qualify or not?
Yes, you qualified!
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Keep your screenshot safe in case they messed up your account.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Yikes!

So I safely re-qualified for E+ with 40K in year one. My E+ was due to expire on 31 May, 2019.

Now I notice that my account shows an E+ expiry of 30 June, 2021.

One might think that this is a good thing, except I used my expiring E+ vouchers to upgrade a Q fare flight for June 2019, assuming it would count for my next re-qualification cycle. But I fear that these status miles will now be wasted.

Anybody else seen elite membership periods shift due to the IT mess?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I got a reply from their customer relations and they insisted that I lack 450 miles out of the 37500 for 2 years. The funny thing is that my kids were flying with me the whole time and 2 out of 3 of them re-qualified. The CSR can't see when they were re-qualified, I just had flights with *A and if I had known this I'll credit them into TK as well but I'm 100% sure that I re-qualified within the first year.

The CSR told me that my member date is March 4 but I have been calculating my re-qualification period as Apr 1 to March 31 and it has been correct since 2013. I have no idea what has changed.

I'm really frustrated.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 5:40 pm

I have a lower-tech problem with TK. I qualified for Elite Plus about 3 months ago but TK seems unable to send me the physical Elite Plus card. The website shows my Elite Plus status but I have made 3 requests (via telephone, website feedback and TK twitter) for the new card to be sent to me without success. Here is the latest gibberish response:

Hello, as Turkish Airlines, we are renewing the infrastructure of Turkish Airlines' passenger program Miles & Smiles to improve our work processes and service quality. Due to the change in the system, Miles & Smiles membership accounts have a temporary disruption in the card sending transaction. Upon the completion of our technical difficulties, the related transaction will be completed as soon as possible. Throughout this duration, you can use your digital card which is available via our Mobile Application. Thank you for your understanding.

So new cards are not being printed? How difficult a task is that, especially for TK's best customers?
Old Apr 1, 2019, 12:42 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by manhattan92
So new cards are not being printed? How difficult a task is that, especially for TK's best customers?
I don’t think they can print cards for E+ but not for E, C+ & C. It’s either for all or for no one.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:33 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Yikes!

So I safely re-qualified for E+ with 40K in year one. My E+ was due to expire on 31 May, 2019.

Now I notice that my account shows an E+ expiry of 30 June, 2021.

One might think that this is a good thing, except I used my expiring E+ vouchers to upgrade a Q fare flight for June 2019, assuming it would count for my next re-qualification cycle. But I fear that these status miles will now be wasted.

Anybody else seen elite membership periods shift due to the IT mess?
Same here. Same dates.
Earlier I was worried of hickup leaving me as mere Elite but finally updated days ago to E+ but this shift also happened. No issues for me for now at least.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
My friend qualified in December 2018, did not received the card and luggage tag yet. He traveled through IST in the end of the March and got his E+ card printed there. No luggage tags,only cards can be printed there.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Jaenks
My friend qualified in December 2018, did not received the card and luggage tag yet. He traveled through IST in the end of the March and got his E+ card printed there. No luggage tags,only cards can be printed there.
I had the exact same situation. I have qualified to both Classic Plus and Elite in December 2018, but I haven't received both of my cards and luggage tags to my address in Turkey and the desk at Atatürk Airport could only print me a card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.