Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Is it cheaper to pay USD 560 to buy elite status than doing MR?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG

Found out that a family member has 32700 status miles the past 12 months, and he can either pay USD 560 to buy up to Elite or he can try to see if he can get 8000 miles by MR. So far I can't find anything in this month that's less than that - he is not flexible in just taking a week off to go somewhere.

Any idea?

TIA!
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by nacho
Found out that a family member has 32700 status miles the past 12 months, and he can either pay USD 560 to buy up to Elite or he can try to see if he can get 8000 miles by MR. So far I can't find anything in this month that's less than that - he is not flexible in just taking a week off to go somewhere.

Any idea?

TIA!
Where are you based and until when do you need to collect the remaining 7300 miles.
Also did your family member receive a x3 status miles offer on Europe flights. He/she must check his/her inbox.
There are cheaper ways than to pay 560USD to complete those missing miles.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Where are you based and until when do you need to collect the remaining 7300 miles.
Also did your family member receive a x3 status miles offer on Europe flights. He/she must check his/her inbox.
There are cheaper ways than to pay 560USD to complete those missing miles.
Thanks!

Based in CPH, I don't think he has received the email with 3x miles offer. It will have to be by the end of March.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Thanks!

Based in CPH, I don't think he has received the email with 3x miles offer. It will have to be by the end of March.
Does he have time for a mileage run. If he does how much days and specifically which days? 2 calendar days would be fine in his case.
Usually flying TK domestic business out of ISL and back costs €84/$95 return and gives 2000 miles. This is the best way of earning miles on TK if less than 10000 miles are needed.
I have created a mileage run schedule for several people this year, so I could also help you on your specific case.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Does he have time for a mileage run. If he does how much days and specifically which days? 2 calendar days would be fine in his case.
Usually flying TK domestic business out of ISL and back costs €84/$95 return and gives 2000 miles. This is the best way of earning miles on TK if less than 10000 miles are needed.
I have created a mileage run schedule for several people this year, so I could also help you on your specific case.
Thanks! I was trying to look for UA TATL but they rob people doing MR, and I looked at CA to Asia but again you pay more for only 6k miles.
All he has is weekend except the one from March 21-24.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks! I was trying to look for UA TATL but they rob people doing MR, and I looked at CA to Asia but again you pay more for only 6k miles.
All he has is weekend except the one from March 21-24.
For those specific dates the mileage run for 8250 miles would cost around $400 + hotel expenses ( around $30-40 per day { 2 nights needed for CPH departures } ) + the expense of CPH-IST-CPH tickets so the domestic mileage run won't be worth it for those dates. The IST-CPH route is a bit expensive on both of the weekends that are available.

So 560 USD seems worth the miles for your family members case.

However, I am attaching one of the runs that would be the cheapest for the most miles.

Granite64 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks a lot! I think we might just buy the miles - but it will have to be after TK sorting out our messed up status.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, AS MVP
If you buy status miles, they will not count as bonus miles...
Old Mar 10, 2019, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I thought you could only buy status miles in your second year of your re-qualification cycle, not buy up a level or finish off the lower "year 1" re-qualification requirements.
geminidreams likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 3:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Instead of either paying or doing a (pure) MR, I'd suggest a fun trip somewhere one wants to go, perhaps over just a long weekend to minimize time and expenses at the destination. If flights earn 100% miles, getting 8,000 miles from CPH when all routes go through IST should be easy, although it might not be cheap. I'd rather spend more money and get something beyond status in return.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
I thought you could only buy status miles in your second year of your re-qualification cycle, not buy up a level or finish off the lower "year 1" re-qualification requirements.
I don't know why but it's possible to buy up to gold - I guess it's because he has been a M&S member for almost 10 years.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Instead of either paying or doing a (pure) MR, I'd suggest a fun trip somewhere one wants to go, perhaps over just a long weekend to minimize time and expenses at the destination. If flights earn 100% miles, getting 8,000 miles from CPH when all routes go through IST should be easy, although it might not be cheap. I'd rather spend more money and get something beyond status in return.
I normally feel the same way too - but for him he treasures his family time rather than USD 560 out of his pocket. He said it's no fun for him to go anywhere alone and if we both go it's going to go over USD 560. TK gives you very little miles for cheap Y, 25% or 50% if you are really lucky (CPH-IST-IAH will give you around 6000 miles but it's still not enough).

We have a trip in Easter but it will only yield us 6000 miles, so if we do it next month 7000 miles will be gone from the 12 months period and replaced with 6k which I don't think it's worth it.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I don't know why but it's possible to buy up to gold - I guess it's because he has been a M&S member for almost 10 years.
Must be Classic Plus aiming for Elite...

After your second year of membership, purchase up to 5,000 Status Miles per year to extend your membership, or up to 10,000 to upgrade your membership. The cost for 1,000 Status Miles is $ 70.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Must be Classic Plus aiming for Elite...
Correct.
ElJudioErrante likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: TK Elite
Question

Is it possible to BUY STATUS miles to upgrade from Elite to Elite Plus?
This year, I'll be 3.750 miles short to reach Elite Plus (80.000 miles), on TK site, it's possible to buy 5000 Status Miles for USD150.

The page is very clear:
You can buy up to 50,000 Bonus Miles for yourself, friends, or family.
You can also buy 5,000 to 10,000 Status Miles to maintain or protect your card level.
But it does not says if i can buy to upgrade level. Would it be possible?

Thanks!
Steve

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.