Wiki Posts
Search

Carry on

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2018, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Turkish airlines
Angry Carry on

May 01st was getting ready to board on Turkish airlines flight from Dulles airport in Washington DC. Check in procedure went well, to train to gate for departure, just before getting on board someone from Turkish airlines stopped me and told me that they will weight my carry on and nay back pack, they did it and told me that I have to pay $160.00 because my bags were heavy, I told them that one of them my personal bag and the other on is carry on which was about 22 pounds, they told me that either I pay or they won't allow me to fly. I accepted to pay and reached my back pocket for my wallet, and wasn't in my pocket I knew that going thru security check my wallet has been lost. I told them that I'll be paying by my I phone which I have 3 payment option; American express, master card and Apple Pay cash options since I have lost my wallet, the person was so rude and told me that he has to see the actual credit card and not accept any other option so he told to other people to put my bags out of the flight and told me get lost. I am 70 years old and suffer from high blood pressure and have content paid on my knees and ankles. They left me by the gate which about a mile long to the street and made me walk all the way with my bags in my hand, did not put me on the train. My blood pressure sky rocketed and left all alone at the airport all night long until next flight which was 24 hours after.
Old May 30, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Wow. What a story.
I never had my carry on checked at the gate.
But if I had then I would ask to send some of the carry on as checked luggage.
Old May 30, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: TK Elite+, HIlton Diamond, Delta Gold, Marriott Silver
I've never known them to really care so much about carry-on, especially flying out of the US. That said, 22 pounds is over the carry-on weight limit of 8kgs. Still, no reason for them to act like that.
Old May 30, 2018, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
You couldn't make it up... or could you?

Since when has TK implemented Basic Economy to/from the U.S. and charges for 10kg of luggage?

https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-u...age/index.html
Old May 30, 2018, 7:12 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Since when has TK implemented Basic Economy to/from the U.S. and charges for 10kg of luggage?

https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-u...age/index.html
They do weigh carry-on luggage from time to time.
Old May 31, 2018, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gr8pirate

They do weigh carry-on luggage from time to time.
OK, but why not just gate check the heavier carry-on? 2 pieces should be included, at 23kg each.
gr8pirate likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 1:22 am

OK, but why not just gate check the heavier carry-on? 2 pieces should be included, at 23kg each.
Perhaps OP already checked two bags, and hence the $160 fee was for what would have been an extra checked bag? It wasn't mentioned in the opening post whether bags had been checked or not.
Old May 31, 2018, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by siberslava
Perhaps OP already checked two bags, and hence the $160 fee was for what would have been an extra checked bag? It wasn't mentioned in the opening post whether bags had been checked or not.
Quite possibly, in which case the rant should switch from "I was badly mistreated by TK" to "I tried to take way more than I was allowed and got caught"...
siberslava likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 11:20 pm

Quite possibly, in which case the rant should switch from "I was badly mistreated by TK" to "I tried to take way more than I was allowed and got caught"...
Bingo!
Old Jun 3, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: TK Elite
I flew almost 100 times with TK and never ever have my carry on checked during boarding..
Old Jun 3, 2018, 2:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP has not specified whether he checked any luggage.

Either way, the rules are the rules. It's great that most of the time one can get away with it. But, when they do check and you get caught, you don't have a leg to stand on for a freebie.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.