Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elite card gift question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2024, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You are using/losing 40k miles. If they are about to expire unused, fair enough. But I know of many people that have gifted such cards to people who use them maybe twice. Also it should be added that according to TK's rules, unless it has changed (which I doubt) you can only gift someone a Gold Card once in a Lifetime. Meaning that if you give one to your spouse, and then in 3,4,10 years time, you want to give it to the same person again, they will not let you do that.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 2:34 am

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
Originally Posted by garbellinitj
Yeah, I've considered that. The big benefit is that my parents get the card and I'm not really losing miles
be careful - all the miles you earn will be added to the account of the family account "leader" (your dad). once you'll be over 25 years old you will automatically get kicked out of the family account. all miles you earned until then will stay with the family account and not be transferred to your personal account.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 9:54 am

Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat.M&S E+
May I gift another 'TK elite' card to the same person I already upgraded with TK elite card 3 years ago and whose status has now become 'silver' ?
Old Apr 12, 2024, 11:44 am

Programs: TK E+, LH FTL
Originally Posted by no_idea
May I gift another 'TK elite' card to the same person I already upgraded with TK elite card 3 years ago and whose status has now become 'silver' ?
Give it a try as there is nothing to loose. They could simply reply it isn’t possible.
simple idea to work around, if the person isn’t really using it delete the account. Wait a while and create a new one with another number and might other email. New number will be assigned which should be able to upgrade.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by no_idea
Originally Posted by nefit
Give it a try as there is nothing to loose. They could simply reply it isn’t possible.
simple idea to work around, if the person isn’t really using it delete the account. Wait a while and create a new one with another number and might other email. New number will be assigned which should be able to upgrade.
As mentioned above, if you have 40k miles expiring or more miles than you can imagine spending then fine. But otherwise you are giving up maybe $600-800 of value so that somebody can access a lounge a couple of times...
Old Apr 13, 2024, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As the OP, asked for "veteran views", here is one for you..................I remember when you were able to give a Gold Card to another person FOR FREE, no 40k miles. As Craig says above, the only utility I can see in this now is if you have 40k expiring and no chance to use them at all.

I should add that there has always been a bit of weirdness about this perk. You can only give it to a certain person ONCE. Also you have the right to do it 3 times, seemingly in your lifetime, which is of course weird as it means that someone who is E+ for only one period can do it 3 times, and it is the same for someone who has been E+ since the beginning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.