Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Questions about upgrading to J and IST lounge.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2018, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

I'm flying from Tromso to Singapore in EY. I'm considering to use miles to upgrade to J.

However Tromso - Oslo sector is operated by SAS, Turkish Airlines said I cannot upgrade that sector to J.

I have 4 questions :

1. As TK is under *A, is it possible for me to use my Krisflyer miles to upgrade the entire sector Tromso - Singapore via *A network?
2. Which J lounge does TK use in Oslo airport?
3. When I check-in in Tromso, will I be able to check my baggages all the way to Singapore if I were have mix of EY + J sectors?
4. If I get J from IST - SIN, I can get to use the famous IST J lounge. At 10.35pm - 2am of transit in IST, do you think there is still good food to enjoy? And will it be crowded at that time? I understand the lounge is 24hr.
Old May 8, 2018, 11:22 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by behyx
I'm flying from Tromso to Singapore in EY. I'm considering to use miles to upgrade to J.

However Tromso - Oslo sector is operated by SAS, Turkish Airlines said I cannot upgrade that sector to J.

I have 4 questions :

1. As TK is under *A, is it possible for me to use my Krisflyer miles to upgrade the entire sector Tromso - Singapore via *A network?
3. When I check-in in Tromso, will I be able to check my baggages all the way to Singapore if I were have mix of EY + J sectors?
4. If I get J from IST - SIN, I can get to use the famous IST J lounge. At 10.35pm - 2am of transit in IST, do you think there is still good food to enjoy? And will it be crowded at that time? I understand the lounge is 24hr.
1. Possibly, check with SQ.
2. The SAS lounge
3. If booking on one ticket: definitely, if two tickets, possibly not.
4. Yes. And yes it will be busy as a lot of longhaul flights are leaving around that time. You will get a seat though, go downstairs.
Old May 9, 2018, 1:56 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
1. While it may theoretically be possible to use SQ miles to upgrade flight segments operated by SK and TK, doing so forces you to use the SAUA (Star Alliance Upgrade Award) functionality. This is typically only possible from the very highest fare clases per cabin, and usually at horrible value.

It would be much better to only upgrade the TK segments using TK miles, if you have them.
Old May 9, 2018, 2:11 am

Programs: FB PFL, TK Gold, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by behyx

I have 4 questions :

Are you flying TK or EY ? Why do you want to upgrade the Tromso-Oslo sector? Its a 2 hour flight, and J in SAS (intra-scandinavia) is not worth at all... Or is it the luggage allowance that you need?

2. TK uses the SAS lounge (ok, not amazing). There are only 2 lounges in OSL.
4. TK lounge will be busy, but you will still enjoy it.
Old May 9, 2018, 3:20 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by toastedcafe
Are you flying TK or EY ?
My sense is that the OP uses "EY" to say "Economy Class", not Etihad.

FT lingo and acronyms can be fairly confusing for newbies...
Old May 9, 2018, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by airoli
My sense is that the OP uses "EY" to say "Economy Class", not Etihad.

FT lingo and acronyms can be fairly confusing for newbies...
Yes I was referring to economy class thanks airOli

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.