Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overnight options in IST

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2018, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Overnight options in IST

Sorry if this isn't the right place to post but it is TK related so hopefully that is okay.

My family (wife and 2 infants) will be flying YYZ-IST in J landing at 15:15 and we depart the following morning IST-CDG in J at 10:05. My issue is, what are our options for overnight? Currently, I have booked an Air Side room at TAV but it's 216EUR which I would like to avoid if possible. I'll pay it if it is my only option but is there another option? Leaving the airport will cost $240USD (4 visas) so that doesn't seem worth it.

Are the private rooms in the TK lounge an option for us?
The lounge is 24h, could we just stay there the whole time?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 6:17 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by ennsy
Sorry if this isn't the right place to post but it is TK related so hopefully that is okay.

My family (wife and 2 infants) will be flying YYZ-IST in J landing at 15:15 and we depart the following morning IST-CDG in J at 10:05. My issue is, what are our options for overnight? Currently, I have booked an Air Side room at TAV but it's 216EUR which I would like to avoid if possible. I'll pay it if it is my only option but is there another option? Leaving the airport will cost $240USD (4 visas) so that doesn't seem worth it.

Are the private rooms in the TK lounge an option for us?
The lounge is 24h, could we just stay there the whole time?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
You do not qualify for the private rooms at the lounge. You MAY qualify for a complimentary hotel, check the thread/wiki here for details, but that involves going airside and therefore visas.

Given that you’re with two infants and the cost of the visas, I think I’d personally just bite the bullet and make the airside hotel the base for the night and take the little ones for walks around the terminal when they get restless. There’s a kiddie section upstairs in the lounge.

On the other hand, if you do qualify for the complimentary hotel and you’re flying in J, it is bound to be nicer than the airside TAV rooms.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gr8pirate

You do not qualify for the private rooms at the lounge. You MAY qualify for a complimentary hotel, check the thread/wiki here for details, but that involves going airside and therefore visas.

Given that you’re with two infants and the cost of the visas, I think I’d personally just bite the bullet and make the airside hotel the base for the night and take the little ones for walks around the terminal when they get restless. There’s a kiddie section upstairs in the lounge.

On the other hand, if you do qualify for the complimentary hotel and you’re flying in J, it is bound to be nicer than the airside TAV rooms.
Thanks for the response. I will look into the complimentary hotel.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by ennsy
I have booked an Air Side room at TAV but it's 216EUR which I would like to avoid if possible.

Gosh, that sounds pricey!!!!

Pity about the visa thing - hotels in the city, and around the airport, are very reasonably priced. I'm just completed stay at the central and rather nice Intercontinental, where my rate was below EUR100. the airport Holiday Inn was about half that amount.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Did you consider a direct flight to CDG? Traveling via IST to Paris is a huge detour, and with 2 infants and a forced overnight stay + EUR 216 for airport lodgings, I wouldn't do this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Did you consider a direct flight to CDG? Traveling via IST to Paris is a huge detour, and with 2 infants and a forced overnight stay + EUR 216 for airport lodgings, I wouldn't do this.
I would guess that the OP is using Aeroplan miles. An Air Canada flight would have huge surcharges, whilst none are added for TK rewards.

Besides, a short flight from the East Coast isn't really long enough to get much sleep. Going the long way via IST also enables a decent sleep in J.

Although a long shot, if the OP has any dual nationalities... the visa is much cheaper for Europeans. I would just pay the visa fee and stay landside - although I'm surprised that CDG is a forced overnight connection so the itinerary might not qualify for the free hotel.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 2:54 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Gosh, that sounds pricey!!!!
Airside hotel: basically a monopoly. I still have to see one with cheap prices

Anyway, if the visa is mandatory to exit the airport and it's 240usd, and you have to add the hotel room to it, the TAV is still the cheapest option. I would not suggest to use the lounge for a so long layover with 2 infants.
starflyergold likes this.

Last edited by Lefly; Jan 5, 2018 at 2:59 am
Old Jan 5, 2018, 3:27 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Not sure OP is qualified for a free hotel as there are 2 additional TK flights going to CDG before his flight: an evening one - TK1829 and a morning one - TK1821.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 4:47 am

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by flyerby
Not sure OP is qualified for a free hotel as there are 2 additional TK flights going to CDG before his flight: an evening one - TK1829 and a morning one - TK1821.
Yes I was going to say the same thing, TK serves CDG with alot of frequency so pretty sure the airside hotel won't be an option, however you can definitely stay in the lounge for free, just don't expect a bed to sleep on
Old Jan 6, 2018, 5:38 am

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Additional option

If you do go the VISA route, Turkish Air provides free city tours. (I think there's one in the evening) that you might enjoy.

touristanbul > Tour Schedule
Old Jan 6, 2018, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
I would guess that the OP is using Aeroplan miles. An Air Canada flight would have huge surcharges, whilst none are added for TK rewards.

Besides, a short flight from the East Coast isn't really long enough to get much sleep. Going the long way via IST also enables a decent sleep in J.

Although a long shot, if the OP has any dual nationalities... the visa is much cheaper for Europeans. I would just pay the visa fee and stay landside - although I'm surprised that CDG is a forced overnight connection so the itinerary might not qualify for the free hotel.
Nailed it. Aeroplan indeed. There is an earlier flight on TK to CDG but not available via Aeroplan so I guess they could change our ticket to the early flight but in order to get to the free hotel we need to clear customs, and thus visas, right? If so, still not worth it.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gretchendz
If you do go the VISA route, Turkish Air provides free city tours. (I think there's one in the evening) that you might enjoy.

touristanbul > Tour Schedule
Saw this. I think with the kids we will take the sleep option.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
About the surcharges. CMN-SSH :
  • 1 Adult40000 Miles
  • Taxes and feesUSD99,10
  • Fuel surchargeUSD244,00
  • Total price for 1 passengerUSD343,10+40000 Miles
Is it only I or has it become much more expensive of late .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.