Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why did TK reduce their service to Japan?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2017, 4:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite
Why did TK reduce their service to Japan?

3 years ago they had 2 flights daily to Tokyo & 1 to Osaka. Now there's only one to Tokyo with an A330 rather than a 777. I was on TK50 once & the flight was jam packed. Any particular reason for the growth slump?
Old Dec 22, 2017, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Since some European and Japanese airlines can now fly into Haneda, there is surely lower demand for Narita flights, especially for business travel. Trans-polar also makes direct flights relatively quicker - I can't really think of too many places in Europe where connecting in IST doesn't add a whole lot of extra time to the journey. (vs a Finnair connection say) And if you're going to take your time, you might as well fly on an ME3 airline...
Old Dec 22, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Since some European and Japanese airlines can now fly into Haneda, there is surely lower demand for Narita flights, especially for business travel. Trans-polar also makes direct flights relatively quicker - I can't really think of too many places in Europe where connecting in IST doesn't add a whole lot of extra time to the journey. (vs a Finnair connection say) And if you're going to take your time, you might as well fly on an ME3 airline...
My wife flew BHX-NRT on TK earlier this year. 3-4 hours to IST and then about 12 hours to NRT, and that's not including the transit time between. Direct flights are 12 hours, so 4 hours plus transit longer. Finnair is about 9-10 hours HEL-NRT, so is certainly quicker to most of northern and western Europe. But Finnair and the direct carriers don't have the Flying Chef entertainment!
Old Dec 22, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Whether a flight was "jam packed" or not has nothing to do with whether it makes money. TK and any other airline compares cost of operating a route / frequency to the yield they can extract for it.

TK saw its yield decline sharply in 2015-2016 and cut capacity as a consequence.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 4:12 am

Programs: TK*G
The service is actually increasing now, they will replace the A330 with 777 in May.
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...as-of-10nov17/
Old Dec 23, 2017, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dozerman94
The service is actually increasing now, they will replace the A330 with 777 in May.
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...as-of-10nov17/
Interesting, I much prefer the 777.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 2:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite
Thank you for the link as I was also eyeing Cape Town and I see that it's being down gauged to a - 200 which doesn't have lie flat seats.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wilko Pali Sedef
Thank you for the link as I was also eyeing Cape Town and I see that it's being down gauged to a - 200 which doesn't have lie flat seats.
Well, I'm E+ thanks to the 200. (but if it weren't for the 4x promo I would have sworn off TK permanently - awful seats!)
Old Dec 25, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by Wilko Pali Sedef
I flew IST-CPT on a 333, earlier this year.
lie-flat seats identical to the 777
​​​​​333 on the return, same thing there.

checked planefinder for today and both JNB amd CPT are 333s

(edited and corrected, I previously posted wrong aircraft and tail numbers)

Last edited by gr8pirate; Dec 26, 2017 at 12:37 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.