Wiki Posts
Search

EU delay compensation with Turkish

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2018, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by PerStockholm
... All flights have been in business class, if that changes anything.
Nope, I was compensated and rebooked onto another carrier, travelling on an economy class award flight.

I can see there's a danger seeming smug about this. There are probably denials of compensation, but I imagine that's TK following its interpretation of rules on the causes of delay.

And I did overhear one snippy argument between a passenger and an agent at the lounge desk: he was saying that although the passenger's incoming flight was delayed, he'd still had over one hour to make the connection: so rebooking and a room for the night was (said the agent) a pretty generous outcome - and one the passenger was very welcome to walk away from....

Last edited by IAN-UK; Jul 20, 2018 at 11:36 pm
Old Aug 24, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I am also trying to get my flight delay compensation from TK.

TXL-IST-ATL: MX delay at TXL--options?

Having never done this before, I made the claim via the website feedback form, following the format of the letters one finds online. Over two weeks later, I finally received a very strange reply.

It completely ignores the 600 euro claim, acknowledges the cancellation due to "damage during flight operations," notes that I was re-routed, and says I can "also" send in food receipts for reimbursement. Never once mentions my actual claim--doesn't deny it or accept it.

Am I writing the wrong place? Or is this just a stalling tactic? I responded by asking them to please either confirm or deny my claim under EU 261/2004, so that I could forward it to the proper EU authorities if necessary.

I see here discussion of similar Turkish laws. It was my understanding that all airlines that operated flights out of the EU were required to conform to this regulation. Am I wrong about that? Or is there some other place I should be going to make a claim under Turkish law?
Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Following up on my comment above: After 3 weeks, I finally received a response (with an apology for the tardiness). The message says TK has issued me an "electronic miscellaneous document (EMD)" with a value of 600 euros. It's just contained within the email: an EMD number, my name, the amount, and the date of issue. No formal attached certificate or document. It goes on to say that I can use it for a ticket by going to a Turkish sales office. Then, "In case of requesting refund as cash, we kindly request you to contact with the related sales office before visiting." I suppose this is to arrange for a check? Operating hours at ATL are listed on the website and are basically just the five evenings that they have a flight. But they actually list a local phone number, so I'm going to call. I have a feeling the locals won't know what the heck I'm talking about, but we'll see.

Stay tuned.
Gnopps likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by hotturnip
Following up on my comment above: After 3 weeks, I finally received a response (with an apology for the tardiness). The message says TK has issued me an "electronic miscellaneous document (EMD)" with a value of 600 euros. It's just contained within the email: an EMD number, my name, the amount, and the date of issue. No formal attached certificate or document. It goes on to say that I can use it for a ticket by going to a Turkish sales office. Then, "In case of requesting refund as cash, we kindly request you to contact with the related sales office before visiting." I suppose this is to arrange for a check? Operating hours at ATL are listed on the website and are basically just the five evenings that they have a flight. But they actually list a local phone number, so I'm going to call. I have a feeling the locals won't know what the heck I'm talking about, but we'll see.

Stay tuned.
It's straightforward. Any TK office will understand the EMD. My local office was perfectly happy to pay cash if they had it, but otherwise simply arranged an electronic transfer to my bank. You'll need photo ID if you go to the office.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 11:02 pm

Update: I found an email address along with the sales office info on the TK website. I emailed a brief inquiry, received a reply the same day. They offered 1) refund via a debit card, or 2) come to the TK desk at the airport for cash, or 3) they could cut a check and mail it, taking 4-6 weeks. The first one sounded odd (I didn't know you could send cash via a debit card), but I took that. She asked for a photo of my ID and debit card, and the same day emailed to say it was processed and I should expect to see the funds in 3-5 days.

I'll update when it arrives.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:48 pm

. . . a-a-a-n-d the money is in my account as of today. Remarkable. Once I finally got TK to acknowledge I was due the compensation, it really took no time.

So for future travelers who have this issue, here a summary of the steps I followed.

1. Use the TK website feedback form. Claim compensation based on EU 261/2004. Provide ticket #, conf. #, and briefly outline circumstances. Include originally scheduled arrival time, and actual re-scheduled arrival time.
2. Be persistent if they try to stonewall you. They won't respond in a week as they promise.
3. When you get an email confirming payment with an EMD #, look up the nearest sales office on the TK website. Contact them to arrange the actual payment.

Voila! You've saved the 20% commission an agency would have charged.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 5:39 am

Programs: DL Diamond,United Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum,Hertz President Circle
DFW-FRA-IST-KHI (first segment on LH, all the rest on TK)
IST-KHI flight got initially delayed by 1 hour and once it took off it diverted back to Istanbul after 1.5 hours inflight. Eventually they arranged a new aircraft and I arrived at my destination 6 hours later.
Does EU compensation rules apply to this trip?
The award flight was booked via CSR, can I claim anything from them?
Old Sep 22, 2018, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by deadly_scorpion
DFW-FRA-IST-KHI (first segment on LH, all the rest on TK)
IST-KHI flight got initially delayed by 1 hour and once it took off it diverted back to Istanbul after 1.5 hours inflight. Eventually they arranged a new aircraft and I arrived at my destination 6 hours later.
Does EU compensation rules apply to this trip?
The award flight was booked via CSR, can I claim anything from them?
You're out of luck. The segment that was delayed did not begin until you were out of the EU. The delay has to happen there.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Your flight does not originate in EU nor is TK an EU carrier, so EU Reg. 261/04 does not apply.

Also it sounds if reverting back to IST was caused by extraordinary circumstances.

I can't see you getting anywhere with this - sorry.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Your flight does not originate in EU nor is TK an EU carrier, so EU Reg. 261/04 does not apply.

Also it sounds if reverting back to IST was caused by extraordinary circumstances.

I can't see you getting anywhere with this - sorry.
An air turnback due to mechanical issue is absolutely not an extraordinary circumstance. If this delay was due to maintenance issues (which it sounds like it was given they swapped tails once they returned to IST), this should be treated as a delay within the control of the carrier.

And while EU261/04 does not apply, Turkey has a similar consumer protection law which does. OP, please reference https://turkishairlines.ssl.cdn.sdlm...90722479CP.pdf for more information,
Old Sep 24, 2018, 11:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP cannot claim EC 261/2004 compensation. But, that is not the end of it. Turkey has a similar scheme and OP may claim under that. Note that I said "similar" and not "same". Read it carefully.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.