Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading using miles - advice please

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
Upgrading using miles - advice please

I have a ticket in J booked LGW - IST in June and was planning to spend 4 days there with friends but they've had to cancel and so I've decided to go to Izmir (ADN) instead on my own. There was a great promotional fare IST - ADN in W of 189 TRY (£41) return.

But I'm a big bloke and much prefer the space in Business Class and was considering using my miles to upgrade.

I haven't done this before and I know it means the dreaded t/c to the Call Centre but before I ring does anyone know - roughly - how much more I am likely to have to pay in additional tax? It's only 70 mins flight but if it's not too expensive I just might upgrade.

I reckon that this might also make it easier to get my bag checked through from LGW to ADN on two TK PNRs given there is a 15kg weight restriction on the IST - ADN leg.

Any idea?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:09 am
tcm

Originally Posted by CoweyB
I have a ticket in J booked LGW - IST in June and was planning to spend 4 days there with friends but they've had to cancel and so I've decided to go to Izmir (ADN) instead on my own. There was a great promotional fare IST - ADN in W of 189 TRY (£41) return.

But I'm a big bloke and much prefer the space in Business Class and was considering using my miles to upgrade.

I haven't done this before and I know it means the dreaded t/c to the Call Centre but before I ring does anyone know - roughly - how much more I am likely to have to pay in additional tax? It's only 70 mins flight but if it's not too expensive I just might upgrade.

I reckon that this might also make it easier to get my bag checked through from LGW to ADN on two TK PNRs given there is a 15kg weight restriction on the IST - ADN leg.

Any idea?
You can upgrade your ADB flight from fare bucket W as long as there is fare class J availability. There is no additional tax. One way at 6250 miles. Good luck!
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Brilliant. Thank you.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 3:16 am

Brilliant. Thank you.
And don't fret the call too much. Been doing it for years without issue
Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
And don't fret the call too much. Been doing it for years without issue
Well I called two days ago and the helpful woman said someone would ring me back...

...two days later, after no one called me back I rang again. I was transferred FIVE times before someone could upgrade me.

Except they couldn't.

They got as far as "holding seats" but a system error mean they couldn't proceed.

I'm due to fly out of LHR T3 on a BA flight tonight but I think I'll pop over to the TK desk in T2 first to see if they can complete this.

Why is there always a handling with TK...?

Last edited by CoweyB; Apr 20, 2017 at 9:36 am
Old Apr 20, 2017, 1:19 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
I think I'll pop over to the TK desk in T2 first to see if they can complete this.

Good idea, after having wasted hours on the phone the ticket desk here processed an upgrade request in 10 minutes for me.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:20 am

Programs: TK E+, AA PLAT
Well I called two days ago and the helpful woman said someone would ring me back...

...two days later, after no one called me back I rang again. I was transferred FIVE times before someone could upgrade me.

Except they couldn't.

They got as far as "holding seats" but a system error mean they couldn't proceed.

I'm due to fly out of LHR T3 on a BA flight tonight but I think I'll pop over to the TK desk in T2 first to see if they can complete this.

Save yourself the journey to T2 as they won't be able to do it. Also, I don't see much point in upgrading a domestic flight as it will (most likely) be the European style J seat. I think you actually get more leg space in an exit row seat than you do in a J seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.