Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

electronics ban on US/UK bound flights [now lifted]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: starflyergold
US and UK electronics ban:

As of 5 July 2017 personal electronics can again be brought into the cabin on flights to the US. The UK was lifted at the end of July.

Which items are affected?

The US rule is broad and wide-ranging, affecting almost anything that is not a phone.
"Electronic devices larger than a cell phone/smart phone will not be allowed to be carried onboard the aircraft in carry-on luggage or other accessible property." Anything larger will have to go in checked luggage in the hold.

The US DHS gave a list of examples, but said it was not exhaustive:
  • Laptops
  • Tablets
  • E-readers
  • Cameras
  • Portable DVD players
  • Electronic game units larger than a smartphone
  • Travel printers/scanners

The rules apply to all flights originating from Turkey to the US or UK, and apply to those who started their journey outside of Turkey and are connecting at IST.

The UK rules are set out here https://www.gov.uk/government/news/a...ghts-to-the-uk.
Print Wikipost

electronics ban on US/UK bound flights [now lifted]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2017, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA EXP, AS MVP75K GOLD, HHonors Diamond, BW Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
General Brian Kelly, the Secretary of Homeland Security spoke before a Senate committee today and stated "that the current electronics ban may be expanded; to include more airports, and perhaps more countries. He made that statement adding that the decision is based on ‘real threat[s].’

"It's real. I think it's getting realer, so to speak," Kelly said. "We may take measures in the not-too-distant future to expand the number of airports." as reported by CNN

As the intelligence community reports 'credible threats' the question comes to mind if this ban will not go on forever, just like removing shoes in the regular TSA security lines at airports?
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: TK ELITE
so are the QC 25-35 headphones allowed or not ?
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:27 am

Programs: TK Elite
Well I'm definitely glad I'not flying to the US/UK anytime soon.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 2:31 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by Phenomenon
so are the QC 25-35 headphones allowed or not ?
I think someone mentioned on EK forum they are not allowed and were taken away from him at the gate. But then headsets are not on the list, so I would just go ahead and try to take them...
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:52 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Just did TK9, IST to LAX and checked my laptop at gate. Picked it up at destination without a hitch, the whole thing really wasn't a big deal.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:56 pm

Question

1) I know camera is not allowed on board, but can you remove the SD card from camera prior to handing over and guard it with you? I presume they are not that neurotic to ban you from your SD card?

2) Also, is external HD or pen drive allowed to be taken on board?
Old Apr 12, 2017, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by gnomey
Question

1) I know camera is not allowed on board, but can you remove the SD card from camera prior to handing over and guard it with you? I presume they are not that neurotic to ban you from your SD card?

2) Also, is external HD or pen drive allowed to be taken on board?
SD cards: no problem
external HD should be fine as long as it's a modern small thing and not one of the monstrosities we used to have 15 years ago.

either way, they now seem to handle the gate-checking procedure with an absolute minimum of inconvenience.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by gr8pirate
SD cards: no problem
external HD should be fine as long as it's a modern small thing and not one of the monstrosities we used to have 15 years ago.

either way, they now seem to handle the gate-checking procedure with an absolute minimum of inconvenience.
great, thank you!
Old Apr 12, 2017, 4:08 pm
tcm

The new J headphones. Not as good as the Denons I suppose, but still decent for mid-haul U.K. flights. Nice work TK, I am in a good mood just having scored my 2nd op-up in recent memory

Name:  IMG_2466.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  638.6 KB
Old Apr 13, 2017, 6:08 am

I flew Bangkok to Manchester a couple of days ago. I kept my laptop and iPad for the BKK - IST leg, and then gave them up at the gate in IST when boarding the MAN flight. TK wrapped them in bubble wrap and had three hard-shelled suitcases in which they packed all electronics. In MAN there was a stand close to the luggage belt with a notice to pick up electronics. TK staff had the three suitcases there before the luggage came - and for once in MAN, that came out extremely quickly. Picked up cases, picked up laptop and iPad - minimum fuss, no delay.

Apart from having to go to gate a bit earlier for UK flights in IST, and queue for a few minutes to get the electronics wrapped and packed; and apart from not having them to use on the IST - MAN flight - a good excuse to watch some of the wide range of entertainment TK actually offers - this really wasn't a problem at all. TK certainly seem to be doing their best to implement an efficient process and ensure safety of electronics.

However, one thing to note is that some power banks were being confiscated in IST, which is apparently a new ruling which came in a week earlier. Given that certain airlines and airports (e.g. Beijing) already do this, or do different things in the case of power banks, I don't carry power banks at all on international flights now. I think there are some types which are permitted, and some which aren't. But may be safest just not to take them at all on planes, and certainly on TK.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 6:29 am

Programs: Zero Status Nexus
Originally Posted by Pendrive
I flew Bangkok to Manchester a couple of days ago. I kept my laptop and iPad for the BKK - IST leg, and then gave them up at the gate in IST when boarding the MAN flight. TK wrapped them in bubble wrap and had three hard-shelled suitcases in which they packed all electronics. In MAN there was a stand close to the luggage belt with a notice to pick up electronics. TK staff had the three suitcases there before the luggage came - and for once in MAN, that came out extremely quickly. Picked up cases, picked up laptop and iPad - minimum fuss, no delay.

Apart from having to go to gate a bit earlier for UK flights in IST, and queue for a few minutes to get the electronics wrapped and packed; and apart from not having them to use on the IST - MAN flight - a good excuse to watch some of the wide range of entertainment TK actually offers - this really wasn't a problem at all. TK certainly seem to be doing their best to implement an efficient process and ensure safety of electronics.

However, one thing to note is that some power banks were being confiscated in IST, which is apparently a new ruling which came in a week earlier. Given that certain airlines and airports (e.g. Beijing) already do this, or do different things in the case of power banks, I don't carry power banks at all on international flights now. I think there are some types which are permitted, and some which aren't. But may be safest just not to take them at all on planes, and certainly on TK.
Thank you for your posting your experience, I was about to cancel my LOS-IST-SFO TK one way. Was concerned about the security of electronics at LOS, so from your experience, my electronics should be in my possession till the IST departure gate.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat
This is very helpful - thanks to all of you. I have a question:

When you hand over your laptop, are they taking them in slim cases or only "naked"?
Old Apr 13, 2017, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know about Powerbanks. A few days ago the security person made a big stink about my power bank and made a similar claim. I challenged him and then his supervisor (her) to show me where such a regulation existed. After 2 minutes they agreed with themselves (in Turkish which I understood) that they had no such written order, and then asked me to put it in my carry-on under the proviso that I could carry it- but not use it. So I do not think the powerbank thing is actually real, just something that has morphed among them.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by smartinez
When you hand over your laptop, are they taking them in slim cases or only "naked"?
They put them in very thick bubble wrap envelopes, those go into hard sided suitcases. It felt okay and safe to me.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 11:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by hfly
So I do not think the powerbank thing is actually real, just something that has morphed among them.
Presuming by powerbank you mean a battery, why wouldn't it be?

It's an electronic device, so as long as it's larger than a cell-phone, I don't see why it wouldn't be covered...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.