Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Flying with Turkish Airlines (Credit card inspection)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2017, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Hope someone can answer my question...

I just recently purchased tickets via Turkish Airlines. Flying from Kuala Lumpur - Athens; Return: Rome - Manila. During that time, my credit card did not have enough credits so I asked my friend to pay for it using her card. Upon receiving the email confirmation, I saw that the card holder needs to be present upon check in OR she has to go with me to a Turkish Air office to validate that flight purchase. The thing is she can neither do both as we are both from the Philippines and the flight leaves in KL; In addition she lives in a city far from the local Turkish Airlines office which would make it inconvenient for her to do it.

Does anyone know if they strictly implement that credit card check in inspection? This has gotten me worried. AFAIK, from my previous flights, I was never asked to show my credit card. Even flying to the USA where security is really tight. However, this is the first time I will be flying via Turkish Airlines and this route.

Can anyone enlighten me?
Old Mar 10, 2017, 3:25 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Welcome to FlyerTalk, beyonddbreak!

FlyerTalk is organized into several categories to help streamline discussion. We have a specific forum for discussing Turkish Airlines, so we will move this thread over there for further comments. Thanks! /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Mar 10, 2017, 4:05 pm

this is also written on the ticket

"If you did not encounter any prompts regarding the presentation of your credit card during your transaction, you will not be requested to present your credit card. This procedure will also not be necessary for tickets purchased with 3D Secure approval."

once i used my dad's credit card but didnt have to show it because his card has 3D secure approval. another time, a friend bought me ticket as well and ive never had to show any cc. done this in these airports: fra, mxp, cdg, str, cgk, sin.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kerjaansei
this is also written on the ticket

"If you did not encounter any prompts regarding the presentation of your credit card during your transaction, you will not be requested to present your credit card. This procedure will also not be necessary for tickets purchased with 3D Secure approval."

once i used my dad's credit card but didnt have to show it because his card has 3D secure approval. another time, a friend bought me ticket as well and ive never had to show any cc. done this in these airports: fra, mxp, cdg, str, cgk, sin.
Cool! And this is all with Turkish?
Old Mar 11, 2017, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by beyonddbreak
Cool! And this is all with Turkish?
yes
Old Mar 11, 2017, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not sure what 3D secure approval is, but I have been asked to present the credit card used for purchase when flying. It was my own, but I could not remember which I'd used, so I wound having two rejected before I got the correct one. I am not sure what would have happened if I'd not had the correct one with me.

If your friend can loan you the card for the duration of your trip, you may want to bring it with you to be sure.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by fumje
If your friend can loan you the card for the duration of your trip, you may want to bring it with you to be sure.
I don't think this is good advice.

The entire reason for requiring credit cards to be presented at check-in is to prevent fraud. So if you can just show up with a credit card in somebody else's name, which you have also used to buy a ticket for yourself, then what's the point of verification in the first place?
Old Mar 11, 2017, 11:28 pm

Programs: FB Gold - M&S Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
I'm not sure what 3D secure approval is, but I have been asked to present the credit card used for purchase when flying. It was my own, but I could not remember which I'd used, so I wound having two rejected before I got the correct one. I am not sure what would have happened if I'd not had the correct one with me.

IIRC 3D approval is the additional step where your bank sends a text message with a specific code to make sure that the official holder of the card is the one using it for this transaction.

@OP I have never been asked to show my CC and I usually travel from pretty exotic airports (KBL, PRN...) so I would say it is possible but very unlikely. If you want to be on the safe side, why not bring a copy of the CC and a copy of your friend's ID? That might help.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 12:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
Originally Posted by Enthilza
@OP I have never been asked to show my CC and I usually travel from pretty exotic airports (KBL, PRN...) so I would say it is possible but very unlikely. If you want to be on the safe side, why not bring a copy of the CC and a copy of your friend's ID? That might help.
I have been asked to show the CC traveling from HEL. But yeah, take a copy of the CC and ID and a short note with signature authorizing the transaction.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 4:21 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I would go one step further and have your friend reach out to the KUL (or MNL) sales office and let them know the situation. The sales office can remove the security hold from your reservation if applicable if you provide correct documentation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.