Wiki Posts
Search

TK or SQ business class cross Atlantic?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2016, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, Delta, SPG, Hilton
TK or SQ business class cross Atlantic?

I have not flown either airline. I need to fly from Moscow to LAX.
One option is on Turkish via IST and another is on Singapore via IAH.

Which one would you choose and why on award ticket? Is TK75 fully flat or 177 degrees?
Thank you for suggestions.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Though I've only flow TK once and SQ many times, I believe it's a no-brainer: SQ. Much better business class seats, each one having aisle access, as opposed to TK. And probably better in service and other features as well. It's not that TK is bad, but SQ J is one of the best or even the very best business class product in the world.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Though I've only flow TK once and SQ many times, I believe it's a no-brainer: SQ. Much better business class seats, each one having aisle access, as opposed to TK. And probably better in service and other features as well. It's not that TK is bad, but SQ J is one of the best or even the very best business class product in the world.
I agree with the above. I have flown on SQ many times in F, J and Y (but never on their "suites" product, though) over the years, and I always look forward to flying with SQ, even in Y, and I'd easily rate it as the best in the world.

Having said that, I have a few long haul TK flights in J coming up later this year and am looking forward to flying with them for the first time. I really like TK's lounge at IST.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 4:24 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Believe me there is no comparison SQ hands down.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 4:40 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
SQ everytime.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
J - definitely SQ.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 3:27 am

I liked the trolley service..and the food in J on TK!
Old Sep 22, 2016, 4:14 am

TK has much more competitive fares than SQ. I would go SQ every time if money not an object.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by joorinainen
TK has much more competitive fares than SQ. I would go SQ every time if money not an object.
OP indicated it is to be an award ticket, so the 'cost' should not be a factor.

TK's food is much better than SQ by any metric, but SQ generally has better wines and liquors. SQ cabin crew is more obsequious, if that floats your boat.

Changing at IST is a horror, their nice lounge notwithstanding. But then, you fly non-stop to LAX. Flying SQ, you will be treating yourself to the wonder that is UA for the flight from IAH to LAX.

Tough choice!
Old Sep 23, 2016, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by TinDrum
OP indicated it is to be an award ticket, so the 'cost' should not be a factor.

TK's food is much better than SQ by any metric, but SQ generally has better wines and liquors. SQ cabin crew is more obsequious, if that floats your boat.

Changing at IST is a horror, their nice lounge notwithstanding. But then, you fly non-stop to LAX. Flying SQ, you will be treating yourself to the wonder that is UA for the flight from IAH to LAX.

Tough choice!
Indeed. The flight between IAH and LAX is UA, plus you have to clear immigration and customs at IAH and then catch your domestic leg. I agree that SQ beats TK but that UA connection at IAH alone would deter me from that option.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 1:11 am

Programs: TK Elite, never Aeroplan again
I echo what others have said. I have flown both. I like TK but there is no comparison with SQ for long-haul.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:21 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
One aspect that many might ignore here is the transfer experience in IST vs IAH, and the on-board lounge position of the seats. Although SQ is great, here are my arguments for why I would choose TK:

MOW-IAH-LAX
- SQ J on A380 is definitely nice and private, however not a great seat for a day flight. The seat turns into a nice bed, however the lounge position is very strange, where your lower body is angled at 30 degrees, however your upper body is straight. I would say 10/10 for sleeping and 4/10 for lounging.
- Food in J with SQ is not really something to write home about. It's good, but I actually found it to be inferior to other airlines like NH, CX, TK, QR.
- I am not aware of United flying IAH-LAX with any 4-class aircraft (e.g. B777), so you will have 3.5 hours in Y on United, instead of 2 hours in J with TK (MOW-IST).

MOW-IST-LAX
- The seat on the TK flight is full flat and forward facing, although narrower than SQ, with a 2-3-2 configuration. I would rate it 9/10 for sleeping and 8/10 for lounging.
- Food with TK in J is amazing. Small J cabin with dedicated food trolley, proper 5 course meal with on-board chef.
- transfer in IST will be much better than IAH. I don't think there's any type of comparison between the two. No need to claim and re-check bags, better lounge, no need for interline agreements for the bags.
- TK J is better than UA Y. I would not want to let a 3.5hr trip with UA in Y follow a 12hr trip with SQ in J, especially on the same ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.