Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Turkish citizens leaving IST

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2016, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Turkish citizens leaving IST

Has anyone here heard anything about Turkish citizens being detained at the airport while trying to leave the country? I'm trying to decipher if this is a rumor or if there is truth to it. Someone told me that they are making people register, and go to another agency to see if they owe money to the government, etc.

My wife is Turkish, but a naturalized US citizen traveling on a US passport. I am hoping she don't have any kind of problems leaving.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 5:11 pm

Programs: TK Elite
BBC says "academics" are banned from leaving the country.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Currently Turkish citizens holding official passports (i.e. Government officials and relatives of government officials) are not allowed to leave the country. I know several people who have come and gone the last few days, no problem if they hold normal Turkish passports, so your wife should have no problem.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hfly
Currently Turkish citizens holding official passports (i.e. Government officials and relatives of government officials) are not allowed to leave the country. I know several people who have come and gone the last few days, no problem if they hold normal Turkish passports, so your wife should have no problem.
It seems there is some kind of new rule in place since the state of emergency declaration. I've had it confirmed by several Turkish friends but it is unclear exactly what it is. It has something to do with making sure people don't owe taxes etc. I'll post more if I find out.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 12:12 am

Programs: TK Elite+, HIlton Diamond, Delta Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by hominamad
It seems there is some kind of new rule in place since the state of emergency declaration. I've had it confirmed by several Turkish friends but it is unclear exactly what it is. It has something to do with making sure people don't owe taxes etc. I'll post more if I find out.
Turkish citizens are supposed to get a statement from SGK (Turkish Social Security) verifying that they don't owe any money and are correctly registered. I suspect that this is also another way the state could see if a person trying to leave ever worked for an organization related to some Voldemort-type character hiding out in Pennsylvania
Old Jul 21, 2016, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

He declared it last night, and it is supposed to be ratified and published in the official gazette today, so considering that the "declaration" you made was only perhaps 3 hours after he declared it, and before the state of emergency was actually in place, and no such thing has been declared (the registration thing), I do not see how any of your friends could have claimed, "they are making people register, and go to another agency to see if they owe money to the government, etc.".

OTOH, a friend of mine with an official passport did tell me two days ago that in order to travel abroad, he needed some sort of declaration, etc.

I think somehow your friends have combined this information.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 2:15 am

No restrictions

Regular passports have no restrictions. Senior government officials (green passports) have an additional document/check before leaving.

The state of emergency is for the law enforcement to do searches and arrests. It has nothing to do with travel business etc.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 6:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Gobus
BBC says "academics" are banned from leaving the country.
Yikes. I know a lot of Turkish academics, many with jobs abroad who return to Turkey every summer for vacation and to organize conferences there, etc. It would be even worse if the term academics is interpreted to include graduate students studying abroad who are supported by some form of assistantships (research assistant, teaching assistant, etc.). Of course, those who don't have jobs abroad are expected to travel to international conferences if they're employed in good departments/universities such as METU, Bilkent, Koc, etc.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hfly
He declared it last night, and it is supposed to be ratified and published in the official gazette today, so considering that the "declaration" you made was only perhaps 3 hours after he declared it, and before the state of emergency was actually in place, and no such thing has been declared (the registration thing), I do not see how any of your friends could have claimed, "they are making people register, and go to another agency to see if they owe money to the government, etc.".

OTOH, a friend of mine with an official passport did tell me two days ago that in order to travel abroad, he needed some sort of declaration, etc.

I think somehow your friends have combined this information.
I didn't make any kind of declaration. I was relaying information I had received and was trying to corroborate - which turned out to be correct. My friend works for an international company that has offices in Istanbul, and they received a notice from their company last night, shortly after the announcement. There still seems to be some confusion about what is required, but I'm sure it will be clarified in the coming days. Other sources have told me that Turkish-American citizens or permanent residents are not affected as of now - so that is a good thing - for me at least!
Old Jul 21, 2016, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Having flown out of IST since this thread was starated and actually being on the plane now, I can tell you that there are no such checks going on for "civilians".

I should also note that actually living in Istanbul and being "plugged in" I have heard all sorts of ridiculous rumours and innuendo about lots of things, I just do not post most of them as 99% are garbage. Two examples related to this in the last 24 hours? "Be at the airport six hours before flights... due to intense security checks of everyone...." not true and in fact the airport was incredibly non busy. Not to mention transportation relaTed threat warnings. All of which are false.

Last edited by hfly; Jul 21, 2016 at 12:05 pm
Old Jul 21, 2016, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yikes. I know a lot of Turkish academics, many with jobs abroad who return to Turkey every summer for vacation and to organize conferences there, etc. It would be even worse if the term academics is interpreted to include graduate students studying abroad who are supported by some form of assistantships (research assistant, teaching assistant, etc.). Of course, those who don't have jobs abroad are expected to travel to international conferences if they're employed in good departments/universities such as METU, Bilkent, Koc, etc.
Most Turkish academics flying out of IST on personal social or business trips on ordinary passports to return to their non-Turkish countries of residence are not having any problems flying out of IST as far as I can tell. If knowingly affiliated with Gulen organizations, that's probably where the chances of problems rise for some academics.

Originally Posted by akol
Regular passports have no restrictions. Senior government officials (green passports) have an additional document/check before leaving.

The state of emergency is for the law enforcement to do searches and arrests. It has nothing to do with travel business etc.
How much more extensively is the Turkish government scrubbing international passenger manifests against blacklists? Not certain, but I would be surprised if they haven't been doing a bit more of that since the coup attempt flopped. This, however, is unlikely to impact most ordinary passengers using IST as a transit airport between two international flights.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
I have a friend who currently works at the Univ of Ankara. She finished her PhD two years ago, and works in a faculty teaching position only. She is classified as "ordinary academic staff", and as of yesterday she received advisement that she i not able to leave the country for any reason until further notice. So, this is restriction is far wider reaching than people think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.